Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 ZX10r, and I'm thinking about installing a thinner race kit head gasket. Does anyone have experience with these?

I want to use one that is a drop in, as I don't want to be concerned with PTV clearance issues. they range from .50-.85mm, so there is a wide range to choose from. I honestly cant even find what the stock gasket thickness is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Tony

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
I'm going with what my shop recommended: 0.55mm

·
Registered
254 Posts
although ptv is diminished it's not the issue, piston to head is. measure deck height and adjust gasket to safe minimium.

·
Registered
653 Posts
without also adjusting cam timing, you likely wont be able to take advantage of the benefit.
Id talk to an engine builder before chancing screwing up a perfectly good motor.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
without also adjusting cam timing, you likely wont be able to take advantage of the benefit.
Id talk to an engine builder before chancing screwing up a perfectly good motor.
Exactly right. Adding static compression without adjusting dynamic compression isn't good for power. You might not blow the motor with just doing the thin HG but you won't see much benefit without optimizing the stock cam overlap.

My bike is at KWS Motorsports getting this done right now. >:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
static compression and running compession are directley linked, change one u change the other. there are hp/torque benefits to tightening squish with stk cam timing-engine building 101.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its not only the piston to valve clearance that you need to be concerned with. You also need enough clearance from the piston to head. Measure the squish, don't go any tighter than ,6 mm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
static compression and running compession are directley linked, change one u change the other. there are hp/torque benefits to tightening squish with stk cam timing-engine building 101.
Generally speaking yes, but with overhead cam engines you're shortening the distance from crank to cam center line so your timing is going to be off. Id bet you would loose power if you didn't degree them after installing a thinner gasket.

·
Registered
335 Posts
No doubt, significant power gain is there if going from 0.85 to 0.55 gasket. 0.3mm change affects cam timing about one degree [0.3/(60xPi)x360x2]. Probably still no problem regarding ptv. But you really must check ptv anyway if doing this type of work.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I just got new tires - both sides of my front tire were gone past the cords with plenty of tread in the center. I'm 73 years old and there are plenty of riders who have bikes with more power....but can they keep up with me? Work on skills.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts