Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going on a phone interview for a position tomorrow and it is very far from my current location...Wisconsin.
I'm pretty sure there are some members here from Wisconsin and I was trying to get a feel for the climate and actual length of the riding season, etc.
VA is nice but it is too damn expensive to live here and that I really can't live with my current salary. Goverment employee getting 20% underpaid it getting to me.
Any tips on cost of living, etc. The job is in Madison, Wisconsin.
I see that for 20k more I can get 3x as much home but salary.com said I'd need to make 11% more than if I lived here due to taxes etc just to break even. I dont want to ask for too much but I'm tired of being underpaid where I'm at.

What would a middle-class family need to make to survive there.

The other company that I've been talking to is in Medina, Ohio.
I know there are a lot of members in Ohio and it is a rural area. What is the standard of living like, how much do you need to make to support a family.

With the equuity in my home I will be moving with 0 debt and maybe 20k to place down onto a home - moving expenses.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I lived outside of Madison for about a year once.

Being from FL I think I am too biased to answer this question.

I thought it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

·
Administrator
6,693 Posts
an old Yakov Smirnoff joke (is there any other kind :dontknow: ) "Living in Russia is like being in the middle of Milwaukee and no matter how far you drive in any direction you're still in the middle of Milwaukee."

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to move because I paid $197,000 for a small two level town house. The picture of JTS's house in my area would run in the 1/2 a million dollar range.

My wife wants to move because she is from the midwest and hates it here.

I travel on average 1hour and 10min to work each way a day (22.3 miles). The traffic is horrible. I can't ride my bike unless its the weekend because I'll just sit in traffic and sweat.

I'm in IT. Right now I work with various enterprise management software (CA Unicenter suite mainly). We have cisco werks and Microsoft MOM, but my coworkers complained when I asked for more experience and to be part of the team that works on those products. There is no room for growth here and my ambitions get shot down immediately.

Here are the facts mortgage: 1300 a month

My paycheck after taxes retirement, health insurance, and car payment: 1800 a month. I have 500 for food utilities, gas, ciggarettes, clothes, bike payment, car insurance, etc....this is without my wife's paycheck but she has a car payment, car insurance...the same as I do. The god damn internet here is $45 a month which is why I dont have it at home. I can't afford it.

I also have another child...350 a month child support.

I'm 20% underpaid is my main problem and my work doesnt care about losing me I've already talked with them regarding me leaving and asked if there was a way for me to stay. If I stay here I will never own a single family home.

I have drug dealers who literally live 4 houses down from me...I have to keep my bike at my folks house or it will be stolen within a month.

I cant stay here because all the IT jobs are government contract and those a-holes want you to have a security clearance which no company will pay for because once they do, most people leave for 15000 more to one of their competitors.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Florida or Nevada dude, no state taxes. its a 20% raise right off the bat.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
For IT, go to Dallas TX. Check out the number of IT jobs there on the various job search engines. Plus long riding season.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dude i just moved from annapolis, MD and I was way underpaid ( I am also in the IT industry) and moved to Orlando, FL. Orlando has more and more IT industry coming everyday. Just a couple of months ago EA Sports open a huge facility where they are doing the new Superman game. But anyways cost of living isn't bad(nothing near what it is in D.C.) and the pay is good. Look around, you have options. BTW what exactly do you do? I know of some places looking for programmers.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
i know this doesn't help but you could move out here to cali....365 riding days a year but in the immortal words of Patric Ewing "we make alot but we spend alot"

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
BN
Medina Ohio
Is closer to Cleveland than Columbus Not too far away from Mansfield (Mid-Ohio Race course) Cost of living in Ohio as a whole isn't that bad. No where near what VA is. I have a sister in Va Beach area, what she paid for her house vs what I paid to build a brand new home here in cincy...there isnt any comparision. Typically in Oh look for about $85-100 per sq foot. In the middle class (no drug dealer neighborhoods) But in all honest you could have a 2000 Plus sq foot home 2 car garage in a nice hood for about what you are paying now.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Or you can be like me and have a really small cheap house paid for. I hate paying monthly payments. But i would like more room. I think i need to get a job soon too. Yea, i must be a lazy mo fo. This was my last month for child support too. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
No state tax in Delaware, either. Although I live in PA, it wouldn't be my first choice if I were going to move anywhere. Florida...might be better. Of course if you move to PA we could ride together.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
ninjazx10r said:
Florida or Nevada dude, no state taxes. its a 20% raise right off the bat.

and no income taxes in TN, plus we have Deal's Gap. Knoxville is close to the GAP and has a decent job market. Cost of living is great.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,849 Posts
I'm thinking about relocating myself. I just haven't made up my mind where i wanna go yet? I had dreamz of living in New York City <------the best city ever!! IMO hehe..... But i was dating a girl from the Bronx for 6 yearz. So i kinda got to see what new york was really like without having to commit myself to moving there. I love it! Alwayz something to do! City has alot of engery! But itz just so expensive! Me and my girl went to look at apartmentz, and they were little ass 2 room places! And they want $1200 rent!! I looked at her like she was krazy! Coming from a decent sized house, thatz detached from other houses, with a nice backyard! I can't go from that to living in a small ass apartment! Houses in NYC are like $400k and better! So yea now i' reconsidering where i wanna move 2? Only way i would move 2 nyc iz if i hit the lottery! Cost of living up there iz krazy expensive!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Here's what I know. Madison is a college town, and it's the center of all liberalism in the state. Fun town however if you like concerts (saw Aerosmith and Kiss there) and there are some fine restaruants. Also, the university hospital is top notch.
But where Madison really shines is it's proximity to tracks. You can shoot up to Road America for the AMA races (or track days), drop down to Blackhawk Farms (maybe 50 miles), a little closer to Chicago is the Joliet track, and in 5 hours you can be at Putnam. Around the lake in Michigan is Gingerman and Grattan raceways. You can take a ferry across the lake to shorten the trip. I used to live about 50 miles south of Madison (Freeport, Illinois). If track days aren't for you, there are some awesome rides to the west of Madison and on towards the Mississippi. The folks from ChicagolandSportbikes.com head over that way all the time. Good luck.
Edit: I should add that Wisconsin is a beautiful state which draws people from all over. I used to take golfing vacations there all the time or head to the many lakes. Seems like there was always something to discover in Wisconsin, especially when driving through the quaint little towns on the coast of Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhh 12RPilot dont give away all our secrets.

My wife is from Madison and we go there quite regular to visit her parents. It is a University town. University of Wisconsin. Big 10 School. Has a bit of a rep for a party school as well. I like it. State income tax last I heard is 6% but their property taxes are much lower than here in Illinois. Is the job intown or outside? Plan on urban sprawl. Lots of growth in and around Mad-Town. Houses are lower in cost and you actually get some land with them. Again I am comparing to my area (NW of Chicago)

There are alot of nice rural roads to ride on ans as stated above alot of tracks in the near.

Good Luck.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
12RPilot said:
Here's what I know. Madison is a college town, and it's the center of all liberalism in the state. Fun town however if you like concerts (saw Aerosmith and Kiss there) and there are some fine restaruants. Also, the university hospital is top notch.
But where Madison really shines is it's proximity to tracks. You can shoot up to Road America for the AMA races (or track days), drop down to Blackhawk Farms (maybe 50 miles), a little closer to Chicago is the Joliet track, and in 5 hours you can be at Putnam. Around the lake in Michigan is Gingerman and Grattan raceways. You can take a ferry across the lake to shorten the trip. I used to live about 50 miles south of Madison (Freeport, Illinois). If track days aren't for you, there are some awesome rides to the west of Madison and on towards the Mississippi. The folks from ChicagolandSportbikes.com head over that way all the time. Good luck.
Edit: I should add that Wisconsin is a beautiful state which draws people from all over. I used to take golfing vacations there all the time or head to the many lakes. Seems like there was always something to discover in Wisconsin, especially when driving through the quaint little towns on the coast of Lake Michigan.
You damn near make a good case for yankee living. Too bad I feel I'm too far north now. Damn these frigid 40 degree winters!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Phone interview on friday went great. And the recruiter who is locating me the job said it was the best he had heard. My possible boss's annual bonus is based upon my success at getting this product up and running, so I beleive he is in a hurry. From what I know they couldnt find anyone local so it is not like I was even competing with anyone for the position. I do have to pay all of my relocation expenses but looks like the raise will more than cover it. Place sounds great. The only snafu maight be salary but I've asked for a lower salary than what is posted on salary.com for the area so that might not be an issue now. Being that I'm 20% underpaid in this area, anything is a huge raise for me.

I'm excited about that local tracks and I'd like to get on some more and take some track schools. The winters will suck but in VA we get a lot of 30 degree days so besides the snow nothing different, I HOPE.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts