Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok new member thanks for membership 馃憤
  1. Looking at getting a new sport bike after many many years. Had a 1975 Kawasaki 900. 1013 cc kit, cam, ported heads, stripped down, glass RR tank, glass seat, Kerker exhaust, full race fairing ran about 165 mph. Not to bad way back then. Had 1987 FZR 1000 and 1987 Ninja 1000 R also.
Looking at ZX 10R and few others like Yamaha, Suzuki, new Honda. Sat on them but can't ride any for a demo. I understand why but it sucks to dump near 20 grand on a bike you can't ride. Even in a low power mode to see if mirrors even work cruising. Any tips? How's the new Zx10R?

Registered
Big difference from the bikes you mention; chief among them is the ability to turn your thoughts into action - be certain that you indeed want to accelerate, turn, or change direction, because these new bikes react VERY quickly and require more focus than older models. I'm a fan of Team Green, but honestly, everyone makes a REALLY good sportbike for the money. With respect to performance and capability, the dollar value of today's bikes is hard to beat. If you have the resources, buying a new ZX 10R will certainly bring lots of smiles. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to acquiesce to the machine's capabilities before you rip it, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Registered
They're all phenomenal machines now a days. Each one has its perks but as far as bang for your buck there is nothing that comes close to a new zx10r especially in engine reliability. You can find left over models in the 11k range brand new, maybe even lower.The Yamaha will have more mid range but they all are really close at peak power levels. Not like the zx10 is bad, go up a few teeth and if your body position isnt right it will still power wheelie well past 100 mph. One thing you probably have noticed is all the modern super bikes are very uncomfortable so really in my opinion that's something we just have to deal with. I am however really interested in the new CBR1000rrr they just released, we will see how that performs compared to the rest.

Registered
yeah you really cant go wrong with the current crop of 1000cc superbikes, theyre all excellent machines, each has its little quirks and fixes that need to be done, but theyre all very very close in capabilities and performance, so it really comes down to personal preferences and appearances... none of them is "mile above" any other, so choose whichever you like and enjoy it.

for the little day to day stuff like you mentioned mirrors, there are lots of in depth reviews on youtube from MCN, visordown, 44teeth, etc that cover a lot of those topics

personally ive been incredibly happy with my 2016 zx10r, have just passed 40k km on it and still love everytime i get on it (which is daily!)

next year i might move on to the new 2020 bmw s1krr, however im waiting to see if kawa has anything new up their sleeve (fingers crossed)

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
  1. Thanks for the responses. NYC motorcycle show is Dec 3 then I can see them all together. Now one dealer has Honda, one Yamaha & Kawasaki, another Suzuki & Yamaha. Kawasaki seems like the best deal. It will probably be revamped next year. They're all above my cornering skill level at 67 LOL. I'll work up slow as I respect speed. Road raced my Corvette and raced offshore boats at 150 mph. I'll post back when I decide after the show. Suzuki and Yamaha are just under 20 out the door. Waiting for quote on Kawasaki out the door. It's probably 3-4 grand less. See them for 12,300 on two sites but then they add all the other crap, shipping, freight, prep. We'll see! Thanks!

Registered
not sure whats needed on the yamaha, but on the gsxr the weakpoint is the brakes, from most owners ive heard need to upgrade to stainless lines and brembo or similar master cylinder to get really good brake feel on it... for me it felt comfier to sit on than my zx10r.... also the headers arent Ti like the zx10r... just minor differences, each bike has its pros and cons.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
They're all phenomenal machines now a days. Each one has its perks but as far as bang for your buck there is nothing that comes close to a new zx10r especially in engine reliability. You can find left over models in the 11k range brand new, maybe even lower.The Yamaha will have more mid range but they all are really close at peak power levels. Not like the zx10 is bad, go up a few teeth and if your body position isnt right it will still power wheelie well past 100 mph. One thing you probably have noticed is all the modern super bikes are very uncomfortable so really in my opinion that's something we just have to deal with. I am however really interested in the new CBR1000rrr they just released, we will see how that performs compared to the rest.

Thanks hope to see the new Honda at the NYC motorcycle show on the 6th.

Ask for two quotes on the Kaw no responses yet.

Registered
If you want to save a bundle of money just get a 2011-2015 ZX-10R. It's very, very similar to the newer ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Looked around at used bikes but they are all hacked up and modded. Who knows who did what to them with abuse or wrenching. Not something I would want to be sitting on at 185 mph. At 67 probably my last bike so I'd like new.

I don't see any difference between MY 19 & 20 except paint. Am I correct in this assumption? Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
One quote KRT $14,673 out the door 2019. Seems he said he can go lower to match or beat a price he said.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Any difference in 2018 vs. 2019 ZX10R? Electronics, air box, valve train? Dealer has 2018 for sale new not KRT edition. 2019 & 2020 are the same except paint schemes I think? Thanks.

Registered
I started with a 1974 Z1 buddy. 1170 big bore kit, cam, heads, chrome Kerker 4-1, catfish green with the yellow & white pinstripes with the gold Comstars and superbike bars. Damn, I miss that bike.
Anyway, enough reminiscing. You can't go wrong with any of the current crop brother. They'll all kill you if you don't show them some respect. Bang for buck and brutally fast...Kawi. Ease of mind and boring..Honda. Easy to ride but kinda dated...Suzuki. Cutting edge and ugly...Yamaha. Those are the Japanese entries in a nutshell. Otherworldly....Duc. Almost otherworldly but affordable....Aprillia. Brilliantly thought out, affordable, and fucking fast....BMW. Those are the Euros. Choose wisely sir.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
  1. Hopefully get to NYC bike show Sunday. Probably most important thing is how the feel sitting on them. Kaw is five grand cheaper than even a same year 19 GSXR or Yam around here. Maybe old thinking but the Ducati reliability and maintenance make me think twice. Aprilla bit of the same not sure on financial stability of them either. Honda may be trick but not out till early summer Guess it will command top dollar. Saw a white GSXR didn't really like it may be better in black. Guess new ZX10R next year but I can't wait.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Didn't hit the show in NYC. New Honda you couldn't sit on one per dealer I heard so it will be over 20 grand I'm sure. Not out till June I think. Back to dealer to sit in a kaw and try to decide.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts