Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Thinking of Moving to New R1

5K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  bidwell427 
#1 ·
My '12 ZX10 has been a phenomenal bike for 5th seasons of riding but its getting time to get something new. I've ridden a demo R1 on track and several on street rides and gotta say I'm impressed. Ironically I've not had the chance to ride 16+ ZX10 so I'm not really sure how they compare. Has anyone ridden (or preferably owned) both that can comment?

I'm primarily a track rider, street riding is not a huge priority for me tho I do get out once in a while.

#2 ·
Going from a ZX10r to an R1 is kinda like having a hot wife that is like cool as shit and you catch all the guys eyeing her when she walks down the road but shes 100% dedicated to you and then you leave her for a dude because you find out you're gay.

#3 ·
The R1 is like a butter faced girl. From behind she's super hot with the finest ass you've ever seen but when you get around to see her face with those wide set bug eyes and flat nose you throw up just a little bit.

That being said, just ride her doggy style and it's all good. The R1 beats the gen 5 in pretty much every shootout I've seen so it's clearly the better track weapon.

#4 ·
We call those 50 yarders

#5 ·
I have had both both. I like the R1 15+ more for the street and 16+ KRT for the track. The R1 has a great gauge cluster with some really cool stuff. Though it needs to be in track mode to really be able to see it at the track. On the R1 you can turn lift control off independently of the T/C whereas on the Gen 5 it is built in. R1 doesn't have M50 brembo calipers, brembo master, brembo reservoir, like the Gen 5 does. I have some buddies with 15+ R1's and i can out stop them on the track and street on the zx10 with stock pads. And a couple of them have upgraded pads on their R1's ZX10 has the external reservoir shocks and BFRC shock, auto blip down shifts are unlocked as part of the ecu flash (Nels did it for me) but on the R1 you have to buy a $700 part to make clutchless auto blip down shifts work. R1 doesn't have full braided brake lines like the zx10 does. Zx10 has 90 degree valve stems. R1 makes less peak power but makes more torque and usable power on the street. R1 crossplane sounds really cool. The R1 is a bit lighter and feels more narrow. Yamaha developed the R1's electronics in house whereas most use Bosch. The 2015 R1's had a transmission recall that meant every 2015 R1 and R1M engine's had to be cracked open by dealer techs :(. Which is why I no longer have my 2015 R1. R1 stands out more since yamaha completely redesigned the way the bike looks, where the Gen 5 looks like any other zx10.

For the money the 2016+ ZX10R has more high end parts and accessories are cheaper. But the R1 is still an awesome bike, just do not buy a 2015 R1.

#9 ·
No question the Gen 5 ZX10 is a better value but as you said, the R1 counters in other areas like electronics, they truly are game changing from what I experienced.

The other part of the equation is getting something *new* as in completely different motorcycle. My ZX10 has been very good to me but sometimes you just want some strange rather than your girlfriends younger sister....

#7 ·
liked the R1 handling vs my gen4 (nitron shock), but just a bit....
power is usable, but you need to get your head around it... it comes different flavor.

think the gen5 is a better track weapon but not by much... vs a gen4 the R1 is a better weapon by much.

#10 ·
I think you need to ride a gen 5. It may just be me but I don't find it similar to my gen 4 at all. From brakes to riding position to power delivery it's a different bike to me. Don't just look at it as a gen 4 with lipstick. Having said this I also like the R1 but you've ridden one so there isn't much for me to add

#21 ·
Totally agree, especially re Honda. I owned 3 CBR1000RR's (04, 08, 10) and they all burned oil to varying degrees, the 08 burned more oil than gas and eventually lost so much compression it wouldn't start. You may ask why I bought 3 of them if they are so bad? There is no easy answer, the 08 was (I thought) a steal at $7000 new, if I only knew what would become of it. The'10 was bought shortly after getting the 08 and I was still in denial of their issues....

#16 ·
Good day OP.

I am a current 2015 R1 owner and in the market of trading it to a 2017 ZX10r. I held back on trading it because i thought i can sort get a better feedback from changing suspension and getting a fuel controller. I was holding back because it was revised and i don't wanted to happen the transmission problem on new year models. But what made my decision is the same as Obijack said. The new 10R parts wise is cheaper and better out of the box.

#17 ·
I know everyones budget is different but could you swing just keeping the 4th gen and buying the R1 as a second bike? pretty sure i have seen you floating around the Aprilia forum so you might already have two bikes but the way i see it is the resale on the 4th gens are so low you might as well just keep it.

#18 ·
The KEBC can be manipulated on the dash no need for a flash for that. If you get the kawi racing ecu you can custom set KEBC to suit your engine braking needs. One thing i forgot to mention is the R1 already has two different settings for the quick shifter. Where the zx10r you have to get woolich or the like to adjust it. It just has off or on. But seriously get what you like more. That is the bottom line. Both are great bikes. I love the 2016 R1 60th anniversary model personally. That would be the one i would get.

#20 ·
If all bikes were the same price new and same price for parts then i think id have the aprilia. Then the r1 then a zx10.
I hate the suzuki.
Honda looks nice.
But they are not all the same price so if you can get a bike thats virtually the same performance but saves you money in the long run then the zx10 will always sell well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.