Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinkin about ditchin the 14 for a 10. I am looking for a strait up swap so I am leaning toward the 04-05. But some seem to like the 04 more that the 05 and vice versa. So what is the difference between the two? and How much are the 08 going for? I would really like the 08 but not sure if I can trade strait up for one. Between the 08 and the 04-05 which do you guys like more(purely opinion I understand but opinions are what I'm looking for)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also heres a pic of my bike. do you think I could get an 08 for it? If I trade for an 04-05 I want one with a full exhaust and other mods. I would take a stock 08. what do you think?

07 black and blue tear away 14, brock's parts: alien head full exhaust, front end strap, ceramic wheel bearing, brock's quick change lowering links. pulled flies, speedo healer, muzzys timing advancer, muzzys block off plates, K&N,+1 rear, pirelli corsa 3 tires, clear alternatives turn signals and tail light, comes with race tech springs for the front forks (still in the box), brocks stiff clutch springs, power commander usb 3, fender eliminator, 17/42 sprockets on the bike (also comes with a 16t front and a 41t rear) mirror block offs/ oberion bar end mirror (comes with stock mirrors also), low profile oil drain plug, puig dark smoke wind screen, comes with a manual cam chain tensioner (not installed), lowered kick stand

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
04 and 05 are essentialy the same. visually 04 has a gold letter R on the tail decal... 05 it's red. Early 04 builds had a well documented generator problem. 04/05 = gen 1. They are a bit wild in their power delivery. 06/07 = gen 2. Bit more refined, steering damper stock, longer wheelbase, heavier, slight increase in power and smoother delivery, wheelbarrow exhaust. Cant comment on the 08 (gen 3). Personal choice really

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so there is essentially no real mechanical difference between the 04 and 05? I am leaning toward that gen because I like the power characteristics of my 14 but its just a bit much for me. I bought it after my dad bought one. and it is fast and fun but its a touch heavy for me and just not quite what I want. I am conflicted because I think the gen one sounds like what I am looking for but I love the looks of the gen 3. as for the gen 2 well there's just now any thing I seem to like about the bike

·
Registered
680 Posts
You could probably work out a trade for any of the generations. Do some searches and you'll see what people on the board think of the various iterations.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Keep in mind (and I might get blasted for this). Traditionally manufacturers hit the market with a new bike and the first gen is quite often fairly wild. They grab a market % with this bike and people wait for the next (better) model. Mopre often than not the first gen has a few probs, because they went a bit stupid with them, and they are quite often fairly highly stressed. When the makers consider the updates, they adress these probs and produce a tamed down version (not necessarily less powerful) just more refined with less probs. It then takes a couple of years before the wild side starts to show itself. This scenario has been typical of Kawasaki from the late 60's. The Mach 3, Mach 4, Z900... the list goes on. So it comes down to personal taste. If you get a gen 1 that does not give you any probs, you have a great bike. But they are all great imo

·
Registered
680 Posts
in your avatar you have an 08, have you ridden an 05 and if so which do you prefer?
I've had both and if I had to choose it's really a toss up. The 05 was raw, powerful, and feather light. It was easier to replace the cat if you only wanted to do a slip on. Subjectively some think it looks better but the 08 has really grown on me, especially in blue. The 05 is more comfortable - the seat on the 08 is carboard.

The 08 is smoother, has better brakes, handles even better, and is more stable. However the 05 didn't have bad brakes or handle badly and it wasn't unstable. The 08 is just better. The 08 is more of a pain in the ass to uncork and really requires a full exhaust. The 08 handles intuitively and with a level of precision I've never experienced before.

As I break the 08 in I have to say it is about as much of a hooligan as the 05 was... I thought it was a little more tame but since I changed the oil and hit over 1,000 miles it has started to show its true colors.

You can't go wrong either way, just make sure you get a low mile cream puff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any bike I get is gonna get a full system brocks alien head. I have one on the 14 and love it. I like the idea of raw power. I am not a racer by any stretch so either will probably feel like it handles way better than the 14. I do like that the 05 would be more comfortable. I dunno every time you answer one on my questions it poses another question. I guess it will come down to the best deal I get. But I think I am leaning toward the 05. I like it in blue but I also really like the grey one. that was an 05 color wasn't it?

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
You don't like anything about the '06-07's?? Maann shame on you! :heyyou: lol......nah I'm just messin! But you're talkin about the raw titanium, that color came in '05. Good luck with whatever choice you make. And a premature welcome to the zx-10r brotherhood! :eek:ccasion1

any bike I get is gonna get a full system brocks alien head. I have one on the 14 and love it. I like the idea of raw power. I am not a racer by any stretch so either will probably feel like it handles way better than the 14. I do like that the 05 would be more comfortable. I dunno every time you answer one on my questions it poses another question. I guess it will come down to the best deal I get. But I think I am leaning toward the 05. I like it in blue but I also really like the grey one. that was an 05 color wasn't it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
i got rid of my duals on my 06.power wise my 06 will roll.ive rode the 08 but it did not seem as powerfull as mine.never rode a 04 or 05.but a friend had a 05 and rode my 06 and said it pulled just as hard as the 05 if not harder

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yep, titanium was only available in 2005. The baddest looking 10 imho.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like the Ti color. as for the 06, no disrespect to it. I know its a a great bike. I just like the 05 and 08 more. just my preference. I am not concerned with having the fastest bike out there, just the one that right for me. My 14 is the fastest bike on the planet, but thats because I ride by my self 99% of the time so I have nothing to gauge it against

·
Banned
15 Posts
f

First thing is coming off the 14 and going to a 04-05 zx10 power wise is gonna be ruff. The zx14 has way more power!!! My friends 14 dynoed with a full Muzzy system 176 rwHP. My friends 05 zx14 dynoed with a full muzzy system 154. I have a 06 zx10 with gutted cats and slip on dynoed 163 rwHP all on the same dyno. Now the whole deal about raw power on the 04-05 zx10r is that in its day bikes were not making 150 rwHP and the zx10r was making hell of power in its class for 2004. 2006 kawasaki change the power delivery for smoother ride, but all the big 4 did that's why they made the TRE. Now all the new bikes can be unrestricted with the TRE. My 2006 makes way more power stock for stock than 04-05 and I have not dynoed an 08 but 08 should make more power cause Kawasaki ain't going backwars. A TRE will make any bike raw power if that's what u want.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know there will be less power but for my riding style I am not to worried about it. I will miss the torque but I will like the weight loss and smaller feel of a 1000. I rode my buddies 07 gixxer k7 and liked it but it felt as heavy as my 14. power wise on the same dyno his bike made 174, mine made 198. with that said his didn't feel slow to me at all. I understand that it will be even more so with the less hp of the 05. but I usually ride alone so to me it will still feel fast, I mainly want a lighter bike. and please don't any one tell me to get a 600. I don't want a bike that I will have to wring it neck all the time to get it to do any thing. and there huge redline cause to much racket for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do think I would prefer an 08 but I think I stand a better chance of getting an 05 strait up that has the mods I want on it. but I would trade the 14 for a stock 08

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
the 1st gen has that mystique about it because of how much of a beast it was (is) when it first came out. they are all nice, i cant make up my mind if i want a third or second gen. i have owned a 1st gen and loved it,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love the 14 and kind knew I should have bought a 1000 when I got it but when I had the money to buy a bike it was just after riding my dad's 14 and I was in aww of its power. I loved it and rushed out and bought one. but now I relize that its just to much bike and doesn't fit my riding style. I love it but its time for a 1000. now I just wish picking a gen was as easy as buying the 14 was. But I had just got back from deployment when I got the 14 and had a fist full of cash burning a hole in my pocket. I wish I had that problem again

·
Registered
198 Posts
well if you get the brocks alien head, the name of the exhaust will match the face of the 08 :mrgreen:
1 more vote for the 1st gen :ayyy:

·
Banned
15 Posts
I would say go 08 because sooner or later you will want more power and the 08 has about 8-10 more HP than 04-05. And when you put the full system on the 08 your old 14 would have its hands full!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts