Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to buy a 51 for the street. My 10 is strickly track bike now cause I sold all my street shit for it and now I need another bike lol. I was looking at an RSVR but dont like what they have to offer around here for me. There is a new 04 51 up the street I might do the do with...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had one for 3 years...It's a good bike...For some reason alot of people think that they have huge torque but the inline 4's have much more..However, then engine is smooth, relatively fast and has a powerband that kicks in at about 7,000 rpm and barely feels like it's working when you're going fast..Kind of top heavy powerband considering it's a Vtwin...All of the inline 4's will smoke it with EASE...Twist the throttle to the stop anywhere under 6,000 rpm and not much seems to happen...But for a vtwin it is a fast one and if you're not expecting too much it's smooth and fun to ride...It has a really cool winding sound from the gear driven cams and the engine doesn't make any weird noises...

IMHO, the RC51 would be a good streetbike if it wasn't so uncomfortable..1 hour and you're rear is numb and your wrists and neck are cramping and while it's fun to ride it's hard to enjoy it when all you can think about is how much your neck and wrists are killing you...An aftermarket seat and bars are a must on this bike if you want at least some form of comfort.

Pros-

Great looking bike and it's rare.
Smooth, cool sounding engine.
Very stable at speed and planted in the turns.
Very solid quality feeling to the bike.

Cons-

Uncomfortable
Ease of maintenance...Oil changes(remove both fairings) Plus if you need to add a little oil fairing has to come off, air filter(almost impossible to install), and spark plugs are WAY more difficult than they should be.
It's HEAVY
It feels kind of slow until you get to 7k
Slow turn in

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Perferd said:
I think I am going to buy a 51 for the street. My 10 is strickly track bike now cause I sold all my street shit for it and now I need another bike lol. I was looking at an RSVR but dont like what they have to offer around here for me. There is a new 04 51 up the street I might do the do with...

Sweet ride, the rc51 that is. My boy has one and after riding his I was going to get a left over 05 the dealer had until I saw that green glow in the corner of the showroom:mrgreen: . I have riden his rc51 a bunch of times and it is a fun bike around town and pretty comfy too. Long reach to the bars over a fat tank, but managable. High mount slip ons, pc, and -1 up front equaled a killer ride. Plus the things sounds like cannons going off with the new cans. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I bet you've been spoiled by the 10 the way you've set it up. I know I would. Going to an RC51 may just be a big letdown. It would be for me. As long as you have low expectations (or plan to mod the sh*t out of it) you should be fine.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I loved the RC51 when it came out. A friend of mine has one, and loves it - but he realizes that it's about the same "speed" as a modern 600 and way heavier.

I rode his bike. It feels big, wide, heavy compared to the ZX10R. The LCD tachometer is equally useless. It's interesting, but not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big reason is I have NEVER seen one on the streets...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Perferd said:

If the thought of owning something that not everyone has intrigues you then the RC51 should deliver for sure...

Get a good aftermarket seat and some higher bars and the comfort should be solved...Just keep in mind that all of new Inline 4's actually make better streetbikes as they rate higher in comfort, ease of maintenance ect ect...And the tank range on the RC51 is HORRIBLE...That is another con for making a good streetbike...It gets like 25 or 27 mpg and the tank is small. When I think of the word "streetbike" I think of comfort, tank range/gas mileage, ease of maintenance ect ect...And the RC51 is worse than all of the inline 4's in these categories....

Here's another way to put it...Basically, you're going to get a bike that is more track focused (than the I4's) that offers less performance of the inline 4's.

It's still a cool bike and fun to ride around and it has stunning looks...But I don't think I'd ever buy another one unless Honda made dramatic improvements to all of the things I mentioned.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Sands said:
Here's another way to put it...Basically, you're going to get a bike that is more track focused (than the I4's) that offers less performance of the inline 4's.
this seems to be the consensus amongst those that have/ had an RC that i know.

BD

·
Registered
754 Posts
A friend of mine from Long Island had one and I had a chance to take it out one time. I never really understood the appeal of V-twins until riding the RC. That was probably about 5 years ago when my current ride was my Abrams-tank ZX9R. The RC definitely has a committed riding position - one reason why the owner (Steve) rode his old CB750 more often. By today's standards, the RC is pretty long in the tooth - needs a Jenny Craig diet and more steam. Fortunately, if you gotta have a twin - and it comes down to an RC or a Duc, you can pick up the RC for a song and throw aftermarket dollars at it and still not be at the admission price of the Duc.

Bottom line, I'd like to have one in my garage just to mix things up a bit. I don't think I could own one a sole bike, though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've ridden one a few times...sweet bike, handles well, looks great and sounds awesome. Post some pics if you get it!!

It's a bike that I want to pick up and keep for a while, they are a thing of beauty!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I love my RC. No, it doesn't have the acceleration of the new literbikes and it needs some mods to run the lap times that they do too. But on the street you'll never know it unless you are riding with some better than average riders on the liter bikes. And if you do throw some money at them like others have mentioned, you can run with the new bikes all day or until your back and butt start hurting from the concrete seat.

Perferd said:
This is what first drew me to them also and I still like all the attention it gets since you don't see them much around here anyway. And it's also fun surprising people when they can't get away from you in the twisties even though they are on the newest, baddest ZXGSXRYZFCBR thingie.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
GoFaster said:
I rode his bike. It feels big, wide, heavy compared to the ZX10R.
I loved my '51, wish I still had it. It is certainly heavy compared to the 10R, but to me it feels much smaller and is definitely narrower (as a v-twin should be) but not as narrow as a 999r. I'm 5'4" and find the '51 to be much more comfortable than the 10R except the seat, but it's not that great a difference. I seriously considered another '51 before I got the 10R, but it's hard to justify giving up a 60lb weight advantage!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts