Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well last night i was doing a couple pulls and first one was great but im pretty sure i over revved it and my limiter didnt kick in for some reason, when i looked down it was almost 14krpm....well after that is felt very slow and is making alot more noise than the reg kawi tick, its deffinantly down on power now, before i knew it was hurt i ran my buddys gsxr1k and zx14, lets just say they both put a bus on me when before we were all dead nuts....so what am i looking at price wise to get a motor redone i guess

·
Registered
246 Posts
so what am i looking at price wise to get a motor redone i guess
There are some members on here that are selling used motors for about $800... Other than that... you'd have to diagnose your actual problem before thinking you need an engine replacement. That's about the best ball park I can give you without knowing what is really wrong with your motor.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Don't panic just yet. Change the oil and look at the plugs first to see if there is any damage to a plug from contact. You, worst case, floated a valve or spun a bearing but it would be making a LOT of noise.There would be metal in your oil too. How long did you stay in the limiter? Most on here have bounced the limiter including myself. A few seconds shouldn't blow the motor and the stock tach is high reading.
If you dropped a valve, plugs would indicate that. Start with fresh oil and ride it and see if engine noise gets worse. These Kawi motors are so noisy it's hard to tell if there's a problem. It's the silent running motors you gotta watch for.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92387

Sounds like what happened to my motor but I bumped the limiter. The motor ran ok for a while longer. I noticed soon after though that it was noisy and seemed down on power. I took it in for diagnosis and it turned out that I broke 3 valve spring retainers, 3 springs and damaged valve guides. Rebuild cost for the head was $1700. I basicly rebuilt the entire intake side with all new parts and replaced the exhaust sides retainers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this sounds just like it, i also noticed it was like sputtereing while holding steady rpm like onramp/off ramp in 2nd at 45mph it would surge and spudder a little, im gonna tear into it a little tomorrow and if that is the problem then it will be going in for warranty work then cuz that should easily be covered by warranty id imagine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts