Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out here vacationing again in this wonderful far away place we call Afghanistan...Everyday, I think about the things I miss most about being home, and surprisingly, it's not stuff like "My motorcycle" which i miss by ungodly amounts, but it's more of the small everyday things that no one probably thinks about that I miss most.

I miss-
*Walking on actual sidewalks, not rocks and deep dirt
*being able to wake up in the night and stumble a few feet to the pisser, not having to trek to it
*Being able to lean against the walls of the showers
*Being able to walk barefoot in my bathroom
*driving with the windows down and not inhaling mass amounts of dirt
*Family
*friends
*last but not least, MY ZX10R

There's plenty more, just a few of the things i think about often...

What do YOU take for granted?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
get home safely man. shit I love and am thankful for everyday:

-seeing my parents when I can get away from school (only 2 hours out)
-being able to just go to the fridge and have everything there already
-water in the bottle, tap and shower
-easy access to the worldwide communication
-phone that lets me text/call my gf, mom, dad brothers sister friends
-my ZX10 I get to ride 95% of the year
-going out to dinner with my gf

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
Too much to list for me Nashville. Spent a couple days in the hospital two weeks ago Monday, and missed sleeping in my own bed next to my wife. That's very small compared to what you have to deal with though. We were where you're at many years ago (more than 20) and I've been accustomed to having dayshift, and not having to deal with that situation anymore. I do remember those times however, and understand what you must be feeling. When I was over pounding sand we didn't have things such as the Internet and cellphones though and couldn't just make call or text or email whenever we wanted, and had to wait for a lousy 20 minute landline call every week, if that. It truly sucked. Stay safe bud, and thank you for your service. It doesn't last forever though it may feel like it, and you'll be home with your lady and babies before you know it.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
I know it's tough being in country bro,
away from everything you love.
Your home sick, tired of SAND, and hard legs.
But, you are doing your country a great service by volunteering to be in such a shitty place away from your own country & loved ones.
(& 10R :mrgreen:)
Your country and fellow service men and .netters are all proud of you.

Keep your head high and your shoulders square, because you do have something to be proud of.
You ARE an American Soldier.
There is no higher calling in my book brother.

Soldier on.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,036 Posts
I really have too many to ever list. Thats not just a patsy answer its the honest truth. Like Don said, thanks so much for your service. Freedom does indeed come with a price and you are graciously paying your part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great Service you are doing Brother,I am in the Bloody Gulf Desert and nothing beats the Freedom of Being Home:

*The Cops Catching Me Overspeeding on my Ninja and ZRX
*Home-Cooked Food
*BBQing with my family and mates
*Camel-free Paved Roads
*The Sweet smell of waking up at Home and not doing anything for the rest of the day but stare at my bikes

·
Registered
871 Posts
Fellow veteran here. That list is good bro"!!! Back in 04 we slept n tents over in afghan It sucked bro!!!!! No ac no Internet nothing. But either way things r changing for the better for soldiers over there. Keep ur head down and get home safe buddy!!!! Rangers lead the way hooah!!!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Thanks for being over there chasing Johnny Taliban. I hear you on the little things. I missed the most was my hanging with my kids, kissing my wife, and being able to piss without having to take a long walk with a weapon and a flashlight. I also missed normal human being showers.

Take care, stay safe, and you have our support

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Still being alive after all the stupid shit I've done in my 46 years. :+1:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey brother! Just came out of Iraq after 7.5 yrs working for (unnamed) there....I missed my bike, and my recliner and being able to sit in it and watch news while sipping my coffee...and my bed instead of that horrible toddler bed we had in Iraq.

Thanks for your service and for being a member of the 1% club of Americans!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Damn, you guys had some really awesome things to say, If I were to reply to all of em, there'd be too much to write back. And, to all you who are currently there, or have served in the past, thanks to you as well! I feel I have it pretty good over here compared to military members of the past {except the Air force, we all know you guys live good wherever you are...LOL, J/K}, and don't know what I'd do without things like Skype, and ZX10r.net, and phones that are pretty accessible...
Rep sent to all!

Anyways, I didn't mean for this thread to be about "ME", so keep the responses rolling, I enjoyed reading what other people had to say about things they miss, or take for granted...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts