Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be ordering mine in a few weeks. Any home mechanics that did this mod have any advise?

Will I have to drop the motor?
Will my PC3 require remaping?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The shop manual does not call for droppin' the engine from the chassis for a head gasket swap. Just a buncha other crap to take off to get to it... :wink:

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Have fun with that, let us know how easy it was putting it on

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
i'd do it in a hot second but i dont see gas higher than 91 octane around here.

i think i read other posts that say it likes maybe 93 octane with the thin gasket.
Something like 13.5-1 compression.!?!
i think nor cal's gas wont sustain the mod..Maybe??

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Are you planning on degreeing the cams when you put them back in or leave them stock settings?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BNninja said:
Are you planning on degreeing the cams when you put them back in or leave them stock settings?
So far I plan to leave the cams stock. I would like to degree them, but I don't know what the optimum setup is. I know of a race shop that could set them to optimum. The only problem is paying money to find out Kawi got it right the first time. I'm willing to pay extra if I'm guaranteed results. I doubt anyone can do that with the bike being a new model. I might call them to see if they worked on anybody's ZX10R. Anyone degree their cams yet?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
When in doubt ask Ivan or Dan Kyle

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Ryan's were degreed by Muzzy. Seams the specs are top secret though. Too bad...

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
if i knew how to port and polish i would, since i dont i wont

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
1. I thought we had established that you can still run 91 octane on the thinner head gasket.
2. I didnt think we could port and polish the stock heads any more.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
miykl said:
Ryan's were degreed by Muzzy. Seams the specs are top secret though. Too bad...
Just an FYI

Overall cam degreeing is a + but one must be careful to get specific #'s for a specific need. In Ryans case i'd be willing to bet his specific needs and application for the 1/4m are diff than say our everyday all around drivers.
Another example would be what the factory SB teams use for a setup @ DIS vs Laguna or any other typical road course.

BD

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ah BD Flex that wise man muscle. Cam numbers can vary GREATLY! I have used three different cam specs over this season to various degrees of success depending on what we were trying to do. Porting and Polishing the head has been done for you by the factory. Check out your exhaust ports and you'll see what I am talking about. There is VERY little to be gained in the ports on these motors. There is more to be gained in other areas.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
There small but they work sometimes. :badteeth:

BD

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
So, ummm, how many hp is the thin gasket supposed to be worth? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear 2-3hp across the rev range. tberd claims to have got 9hp, but I'm not gonna bank on that.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, 2-3 hp acroos the range would be well worth the small change the gasket cost. For those of us that don't play IN the motor, the labor might change the story.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Is 2-3 hp really worth tearin' in that deep for street use though? I can see stranglin' every last available hp out of a race bike motor, and it'd be a fun winter project no doubt, but I don't think I'd dig that deep into my motor for 2-3 hp for my street use. I doubt I'd even be able to tell the difference given my ridin' style. I don't use all it's got now.

On the other hand though I do dig insane overkill... If I stood to get maybe 10+hp out of it I might be inclined to do it. It'd be cool to own a verifiable, dyno proven 200hp naturally aspirated 10R... What's it take to get that? :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts