Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
yes you can install the thin head gasket without removing the engine. Tough job leave it to professionals. muzzy is thinner that is what I am running. No cons. More hp!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
"No cons" - Well, it should be pointed out that raising the compression ratio reduces the margin of safety against detonation, but that's about it. If you use premium gasoline, and you don't venture into areas where premium gasoline might not be available, it's fine.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Chris (BNinja) did this mod a few months before selling his bike. I believe both Crispin and Ivan have also done it as well.

http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com/ZedX10R.html

The process is lengthy (see instructions within the link above).

I don't recall any downsides and under a typical warranty circumstance cannot see how Kawai would know (or the dealer would care).

I did talk with Chris about this after he sold the bike and he did say that this mod, stacked on top of other well know and easier mods, really does get you closer to the point where the motor is creating too much power and the bike gets scary at times.

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Toooo Much power????????????????? Bite you tongue Sir!

To much power would be the wife in control of all the money!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I don't think I will ever tear my engine down for the sole purpose of installing the thinner head gasket (you could lose 10 lbs and reap the same benefits) but if I had to tear the engine down for another issue I may install the thinner one while I was in there.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well its stats on the bike Premium fuel only. No detonation
GoFaster said:
"No cons" - Well, it should be pointed out that raising the compression ratio reduces the margin of safety against detonation, but that's about it. If you use premium gasoline, and you don't venture into areas where premium gasoline might not be available, it's fine.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well not if use the factory thin head gasket. Kawaskai gasket but Muzzys might be different but you cant tell them apart. If you fuck it up put back on the stock gasket. And take it in for service. And what dealer will actually measure your gasket any ways unless you tell them. The differenece in size is so small no one will catch it unless you are looking for it. Thats like me fucking up my fork seals and telling them I've been landing hard wheelies.

treyzx10r said:
voids your warranty

·
Registered
509 Posts
Let me guess you where tampoons once a month?
circusnuts said:
Chris (BNinja) did this mod a few months before selling his bike. I believe both Crispin and Ivan have also done it as well.

http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com/ZedX10R.html

The process is lengthy (see instructions within the link above).

I don't recall any downsides and under a typical warranty circumstance cannot see how Kawai would know (or the dealer would care).

I did talk with Chris about this after he sold the bike and he did say that this mod, stacked on top of other well know and easier mods, really does get you closer to the point where the motor is creating too much power and the bike gets scary at times.

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
MOSS10R said:
Is there anyone who would know or have an idea to what it brings your compression ratio up to?

it's not going to raise it much... .25-.50 tops.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
DustinR,
I said that to Phil. And after a full system, hea gasket and PC tune the bike is almost too powerful. I like corners and there is only so much gas you can apply while leaned over. Now for cranking second gear power wheelies and acting like a straight line goon, the 10r with those mods is sick. I missed the 10r for a while after buying the MV. The amount you will learn about your bike is amazing and I'd do it again just because it was fun but time consuming.
That brings me to the MV, out handles the 10r and very linear powerband. Even the 6500rpm torque spike isn't felt when riding. That bike was the best of both worlds (may it rest in pieces).

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
BNninja said:
Now for cranking second gear power wheelies and acting like a straight line goon, the 10r with those mods is sick.
Are you implying something BN?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts