Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this mod,whats all involved...i sound like a broken record...but after reading what "IVAN" wrote....I DO NOT WANT TO PULL MY ENGINE to put a fuggen thin piece of metal in it...fugg that.:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'll be putting mine in next weekend. I'm tearing most of the bike down this weekend. I plan to install it with the engine in the frame. If I run into a problem, the enigine is coming out.

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
what does a thin head gasket do to the bike?what are he pros and cons of doing this mod? i am not much of a mechanic.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pros-The thin head gasket reduces combustion chamber space slightly to boost the compression of the engine.More compression=More power.Cons-you must use high octane gas always (93 or higher)or you'll have pinging,damaging to the engine.The pro outweighs the con in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It seems to me that if you have the head off the engine already ... just get it machined down a bit more. They do this mod on cars all the time. I for one am going to leave mine alone, the more I touch the more I break!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
05zx10pilot said:
It seems to me that if you have the head off the engine already ... just get it machined down a bit more. They do this mod on cars all the time. I for one am going to leave mine alone, the more I touch the more I break!
If you go straight to milling the head, what happens when you blow the gasket and HAVE to mill your head? You could end up out of spec and have to buy a new head. $80 gasket is a much cheaper/safer solution.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
miykl said:
If you go straight to milling the head, what happens when you blow the gasket and HAVE to mill your head? You could end up out of spec and have to buy a new head. $80 gasket is a much cheaper/safer solution.
I agree.

Why machine when a gasket will do the job?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Let us know how it goes SP8...i want to do mine...I've read about it in the service manual and as long as you put the cams back to stock it doesn't seem hard at all just labor intensive. But plan on $60 extra for new exhaust gaskets, coolant, oil, timing cover gasket, etc....those little items add up quickly, very quickly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
$80 for a head gasket, is this a joke? you can get a set for a 302 V8 (2)
for Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less.LOL :+1: I think I would just remove the head gasket and coat the head and cyl with Copper seal, saving $80 and getting even more compression.?? :badteeth:

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you mill the head too much you'll piston to valve interference(bent valves),especially without the gasket,these engines already have hella little interference as it is.I dont think you want to mess with the engine that much.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
and for $400 dollars for the job, $80 for the head gasket and around $60 for extras (fluids and filter and such), what do you get???? i add that you get a $540 dollar bill that get you about 2 hp and 1 ft/lb of torque....Cost to hp ratio is pretty high....

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so i get off the phone with 2 different mech. from 2 different shops...both said i should get 6 to 8 hp gains just doing the Muzzy thin head gasket swap....how true is this...to the mechs that know what there talking about & have done this mod,please help is this true.:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
DustinR changed his and only dynoed 2hp more so that is why he just had his cams redegreed. If you see the gain Ivan got it was 6.4hp with gasket, cams, and ignition advanced. Proof is in the pudding....now Ivan might have used the Kawasaki gasket which is .03mm thinner while the Muzzy is .2mm thinner or something like that...the muzzy is 3x as thin.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'll be posting results late March, or early April. My bike went from 148 SAE to 157 SAE with pipe and map.
The only difference with the next pull will be:
-more miles
-thin head gasket
- -1/+1 sprockets

I may hold off on the sprockets just to keep things in perspective. I know they should not make a difference. They have been sitting in my garage all winter. So whats a few more days.

·
Registered
509 Posts
BNninja said:
DustinR changed his and only dynoed 2hp more so that is why he just had his cams redegreed. If you see the gain Ivan got it was 6.4hp with gasket, cams, and ignition advanced. Proof is in the pudding....now Ivan might have used the Kawasaki gasket which is .03mm thinner while the Muzzy is .2mm thinner or something like that...the muzzy is 3x as thin.
Alright just got to ride my bike after I got the cams degreed to muzzy supersport setting. When I added the thin head gasket I only got around 3 hp but the bottom end power was really faster and pulled stronger down low. By degreeing the cams (by the seat of my pants) its day and night different. Especially up high. I'm running the 1 down in front and top end comes fast and the bitch just bangs off redline. It comes up in 3rd unexpectlly now and I'm no little boy 220lbs. I think legitally by degreeing the cams and the thin head gasket its a good 8-10 horespower. Going to have to go back to stock gearing I think cause I like to run over 175 mph and thats all you get with one down its says 189.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts