Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007N6SRVI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1441079888&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=continental+motion+190+50+zr17&dpPl=1&dpID=51K8aS63WLL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

I estimate I ride 8k miles a year, and from what I read this bike eats tires quick.
Would this be a reasonable tire? Assuming I don't hit the track. But for commuting and some aggressive twisty riding?

Not trying to be a cheap @$$, especially with the only thing between my bike and the road, but if I don't need super corsa's why buy them?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I try the link... it's not working.

Their the continental "motion" for like $160 per set.
Normally the price would scare me, but their from a reputable brand and seem to have decent reviews. Just not for a track born supersport

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007N6SRVI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1441079888&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=continental+motion+190+50+zr17&dpPl=1&dpID=51K8aS63WLL&ref=plSrch

I estimate I ride 8k miles a year, and from what I read this bike eats tires quick.
Would this be a reasonable tire? Assuming I don't hit the track. But for commuting and some aggressive twisty riding?

Not trying to be a cheap @$$, especially with the only thing between my bike and the road, but if I don't need super corsa's why buy them?
This is Continental's "entry level" tire.

Is the ZX-10R an "entry level" motorcycle?

Ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?"

Do not use this tire on the ZX-10R.

Maybe the RoadAttack 2.

Problem is the more aggessive you get on the bike the more you need the traction of the Dunlop Q3 or Supercorsa or the like.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be a reasonable option?

I don't want a death trap but I also don't want to buy 2 sets of tires a year.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,021 Posts
Hellsrazor ran those. I think a higher mileage tire that you sacrifice traction with. I think he was happy with them as a commuter tire but on the performance side they are a bit lacking. Just the trade off your going to get when you search for more miles. The S20 and Q3's have both been as versatile as I personally have seen as far as doing both well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The s20 Evo is a good choice as far a compromise. Good mileage and good grip.i had those on my triumph. I'm going to get those again I think when the stock tires are gone. Or q3's I had q2's and the were great too. Good luck

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
If you want mileage, you give up traction. If you want traction, you give up mileage. Plain and simple. You have two tires on the bike with a contact patch that touches the road the size of a credit card on the front and back tire. Two credit card sized sections of rubber are all that is connecting your body and a 180Hp and 430 pound machine to the road. In corners, and while braking.

Replacement bodywork for this bike is about $1500. One ride on a Life Flight helicopter can be about $30,000. Two sets of really good sticky tires is about $500/year. Do the math yourself.

Those tires on a ZX-10 shouldn't even be considered. If you want a cruiser, go get a Harley. If you want to ride a ZX-10, buy the stickiest tires you can, change them at 3,500 miles when they're worn to the wear bars, and let the bike put a small on your face when riding instead of shit in your pants when it slides out from under you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Try the Pirelli Angel's my friend has run them and love's them and their a good price. He got more than 8 thousand miles out of a set and they work really good in the twisties. Not a full on sport tire but damn close for the buck.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

Then you should not have purchased an open-class superbike.

There is no tire you can get that will deliver the mileage you hope for and enough traction to match the bike for the kind of money you want to spend.

Some guys run the Michelin Pilot Power 3, or the Dunlop RoadSmart II and if you are a conservative rider you might be OK with that type of setup. Those tires give adequate traction midcorner but then almost any tire will do that.

Where you run into problems is the extremely high levels of acceleration and deceleration this bike can generate.

I ride very smoothly most of the time and know my bike and the roads I ride pretty well. Even so I had the KTRC kick in the other day, on Low Power with the KTRC set to 1. I was cranked over quite far and dialing it up and the cylinders cut for about 0.2 of a second. That's the most aggressive level of TC, when the cylinders cut out.

Obviously there was something on the road I didn't see, perhaps a small pebble or a tiny spot of diesel, but without the KTRC things might have been more interesting.

This is with premium rubber, pretty fresh. You put something else on there you are asking for trouble.

You just have to budget the money for tires with a bike like this.:helmet:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Try the Pirelli Angel's my friend has run them and love's them and their a good price. He got more than 8 thousand miles out of a set and they work really good in the twisties. Not a full on sport tire but damn close for the buck.
Pirelli Angels are reasonable tires for wear and are similar to the RoadSmart II's or PP3s.

However all those tires have heavy carcasses and deep tread and do not provide the kind of feedback from the road and chassis that a sport tire will. They are made for heavy sport touring bikes like your Concours, R1200RT, and so on.

And the Angels are not cheap, any European tire is going to be $$$$.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Quite a number of people around here have been happy with Michelin Pilot Road tires (which generation is up to you).

As for Continentals ... I've only had that brand of tires on cars. The WinterContact tires are OK at best. All others have been rock hard hockey pucks with poor ride and not much grip.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought a set of Pirelli Rosso Corsas from STG for $259 about a month ago for my ZX10. I've got about 1,500 miles on them now and the center hardly looks worn at all. The edges are showing more wear than the middle, but not much. They actually stick pretty well, enough to scuff both knee pucks on our fucked up Pennsylvania roads.

I'd compare their outright grip to a Q3, but they have a different feel. The Pirelli feels softer and more compliant. Q3s feel pretty stiff and almost harsh on bumps, and we have a lot of those where I live. I have Q3s on my track bike and I like them on a nice smooth race track. They grip well enough for me, don't need warmers and they're supposed to last a while on a little 600 like I ride.

My ZX10 is hard on rear tires. I got 3,000 out of my stock tires and the front and rear were totally shot, they gripped OK but not great. I tried PP3s and didn't like them, the rear would squirm and want to spin up on corner exits. I played with the air pressure which helped a little, but I still pulled them off after 300 miles. Then I tried a set of Bridgestone RS10s and they stuck really well but didn't last for shit. I got 1800 miles out of the first rear and replaced it with another RS10, and the front made it to 3,300 and by then the second rear was about whooped, too. I think Bridgestone could have a good thing going with these RS10s if they'd make a dual compound rear version. Minimal siping, soft and sticky on the sides but a firmer center compound. If I could get 3,000 miles out of a set I'd keep buying them but less than 2,000 is no good. I'd like to try a RS10 front with an S20 evo rear at some point and see how they act. That's what I would have done if I had not stumbled into this pair of Pirellis.

I ride with a couple of guys that will only buy Pirellis and they rave about them. I'm not a brand loyal guy, I'll buy whatever works best for me. At this point I'm happy with Rosso Corsas, but I can't say how long they'll last with any certainty. At this point, I think they'll probably last longer than the stock BT016s and they stick through corners a bit better, for me anyway. One thing that seems to help with wear is that they stick well at higher pressures compared to the BT016s. I have had the Pirellis set at 33F & 35R cold since I got them, I kept the 16s at 30psi if I was hitting my twisty loop.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
michelin pilot road 4's are decent enough. they have a 2 compound tire that gives a soft sticky edge with a harder center. can drag your hard parts around on those and usually get the mileage you're wanting. not a track tire though.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If you want mileage, you give up traction. If you want traction, you give up mileage. Plain and simple. You have two tires on the bike with a contact patch that touches the road the size of a credit card on the front and back tire. Two credit card sized sections of rubber are all that is connecting your body and a 180Hp and 430 pound machine to the road. In corners, and while braking.

Replacement bodywork for this bike is about $1500. One ride on a Life Flight helicopter can be about $30,000. Two sets of really good sticky tires is about $500/year. Do the math yourself.

Those tires on a ZX-10 shouldn't even be considered. If you want a cruiser, go get a Harley. If you want to ride a ZX-10, buy the stickiest tires you can, change them at 3,500 miles when they're worn to the wear bars, and let the bike put a small on your face when riding instead of shit in your pants when it slides out from under you.
Well Said :notworthy: So well said, it is pure Gold ... :grin2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
there cheap I tried a set on the wifes old buell they suck and have tread sepration about 1/2 through the life span like others said buy s20 evo or q3 you will be much happier

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I currently have Metzler m3's
their about worn down..... well at least the rear is at the wear lines.

I had pirellis on my 300 that only lasted 2900 miles (yea, even on that little thing)
When they failed I put on the Bridgestone S20 hypersport
I traded it in at 6k and it still had a lot of life left.

I'm not band biased at all, I'll go with whatever.
I read mention of the S20's above, any word on their lifespan?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tires are something I would never cheap out on. You only have two of them touching the ground. Just my opinion though.
Your lucky to have two on the ground with this bike!
I only weigh 127lbs.. it's a bit of an issue lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
last year i was running Michelin pilot road 3's and did a total of 12000mi on the rear. i dont have the confidence through the corners like i do with Pilot powers for instance but they do the Job. Due to the distance i ride every day i have again gone for the Michelin Pilot road 4.

We cant get the Dunlop q3 here so i have an old set of pilot race tires to play on track.

oh and this is on the Gen1

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tires are something I would never cheap out on. You only have two of them touching the ground. Just my opinion though.
Your lucky to have two on the ground with this bike!
I only weigh 127lbs.. it's a bit of an issue lol

Im a bit of a fatty sooooo I don't have that issue. I'm 6 ft and 210lbs. I just lost 50lbs too.lol

The op could get b16 pros too if he liked the oem tire. There cheap. I wouldn't but there not horrible I guess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts