Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new here but have noticed alot of comments on new bikes out that people say are .. JUNK...( yamaha R1 gsxr1000 Hayabusas Aprillas Ect Ect ) I myself have been riding going on 30 years and I cxan say that people are Just spoiled !! the Bikes out now are all good . hell even a Harley has good metal urgy( yes as good as any japanese bike ) and can get 100k with proper maintinance . The engines are ancient in design or they would get even more . ALL four japanese manufactures you can get upwards of 150k out of them . Amazingly even with the power per liter of a NACAR engine which is worn after 500miles or so . Next is the European manufacturers . KTM, Aprilla , BMW ALL make engines that EQUAL the Japanese also being able to attain 150k or more with proper maintinance the far east dominance in quality has all but vanished . ... Now lets look at the chassis . Sportbikes , be they japanese , european or even now american have gotten SO good it takes dam near an expert track instuctor to uttilize the bikes full potencial ( I for one am not good enough , how about you lol) Even the standard catogory bikes are fitted with good suspensions and tires and can outperform better than average riders .... For you younger riders. if you ever get the oppertunity to ride a mid to late seventies KZ1000 or Suzuki GS1000 or if your brave enough a Yamaha SHAFT drive XS1100. Take it out for a hard ride and test its limits. If you survive, come back and tell everyone what it was like lol. One thing is for sure , you will appriciate all the progress that has been achieved , that bike you called a piece of shit will look a whole lot better lol.... Jake

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Sounds to me like you needed to "VENT" for some reason Ha ha. Nice write up though. I'm a youngster to you but in the sense my dad had a 88 kz1000 "police bike" I understand where your coming from!! I love the new bikes and they only get better each year...

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I dont call too many bikes junk, i may dislike the look or performace compared, but not too many are JUNK. We have the right to be spoiled due to brand loyalty and a competitive market that makes advancement in every area a necessity to survive. I love it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Pfffffffffffffffttt..........The 2009 R1 is a POS, end of story :thefinger

KTM's are by far the biggest shitbox's ever created. I had 3 and ALL were nighmares. Shitty designs, poor build quality and short engine life. constant problems. NEVER AGAIN!!

Lets not even talk about Hardleys:rolleyes:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Ill take a KTM RC8. An R1 as ugly as i think it is or as "crappy" as you think it is will out perform anyone here(why we dont race motorcycles for a living), and in the right hands the R1 is a great bike. 140 back in the 80's was approaching land speed record:lol:, i hope your 10r feels a little better.

performance is messured on such a small scale when comparing these bikes, it all boils down to what YOU like. Thankfully we can have the choice between many great bikes because the performance advancements from racing is always having an affect.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I love them all nowdays- from the awesome 10R's, to the Italian maidens, to even the 'squidly Gixxers'. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. :thumbsup:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
ill take a ktm rc8. An r1 as ugly as i think it is or as "crappy" as you think it is will out perform anyone here(why we dont race motorcycles for a living), and in the right hands the r1 is a great bike. 140 back in the 80's was approaching land speed record:lol:, i hope your 10r feels a little better.

Performance is messured on such a small scale when comparing these bikes, it all boils down to what you like. Thankfully we can have the choice between many great bikes because the performance advancements from racing is always having an affect.
:+1:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ill take a KTM RC8.
All the power to you.
They can’t make a dirt bike work; I would never trust my life on their Street bike. The final straw was when my son's 2008 KTM 144SX blew up on the face of a jump causing him to go head first into the face of the following jump and knocking him out cold sending him to the hospital..... That bike had less than 10 hours on the engine and was bone stock. I’m not even going to talk about the 525 EXC or 525 SX that I also had..... It's only going to make my blood boil and stress level rise.
Even the material that the engine was made of....if you weren’t super careful, the bolts would spin the threading out. Never had the problems like I have with KTM, with any other brand, and I have just about owned one of every brand out there.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
An R1 as ugly as i think it is or as "crappy" as you think it is will out perform anyone here(why we dont race motorcycles for a living), and in the right hands the R1 is a great bike.
Just because there is someone that can take the same bike (the R1 in this case) and set faster lap times around the track, doesn't mean you or I wont set faster lap times on what "I" consider the other better bikes, compared to the R1.
If you take a given rider, and let them ride all the bikes, chances are they will be slowest on the R1.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ABPREP its not venting its just that the new bikes are SO much better than they where years back . The Best bike on the market in the 80s is not even close to the worst bike that a class has to offer . You had double cradle tube frames and when you rode hard frames flexing and brakes fading where the norm lol.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I still dont think its fair to compare todays bikes to bikes 20 years ago, then settle for the worst one and say...well at least its better than a 20 year old bike........

For me anyway, All I care about is comparing the lastest and greatest. They are all simularly priced (the japs anyway).. so it's better to compare the latest and pic the best of THAT bunch. Even if you cant ride the worst one to its limit, you will still be a better rider on the best bike. At least that's how it has been for myself and my riding style. And that goes for both off road MX/SX and on the road.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok there is an exception to this thread . Harleys may not be what we like in a bike but they are reliable now and at least they are a motorcyle you can see someone wanting .( I had a 78 sortster once when i was a kid , hated harleys for years) But the Honda DN-01 , what in gods name is it supposed to be? dealers are trying to reject delivery on them KNOWING they wont sell and will sit on the showrooms for years . jake

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hahahaha, funny you should mention the XS1100. I drove one of those back in the 80's and had the scariest moment ever on a motorcycle. That thing handled like a bus with bicycle wheels, weighed probably half a ton, had the frame of wet spaghetti. It was a co-workers bike and he let me take it for a ride over lunch break. I was coming down off a highway into city traffic and the thing just went into a nasty low frequency oscillating shake. It reminded me of the early pre-sound barrier test pilots in that you never knew what the thing would do, seemed like it had a mind of its own. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
funtofly . We just put the jims 131ci(2200cc) engine in a 98 Harley Roadking . this bikes fame is so thin that going round highway bend say at 65-75mph you can feel the frame flexing and the rear wheel starts to doggie( bends and steers rear wheel, and bike bacl end wants to go round father than rest of bike) there are even say 20 different companies making frame braces tht help but doesnt correct the problem .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.