Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I come with some crappy news. While I normally park my bike at my sister's in her garage, last night after riding I decided to bring my bike back to my place. (First and only time I have). Anywho, some lowlife tried to steal my bike sometime between 9:30 pm and 8:45 am this morning (05/01/2021). I started my bike, and my key was not inserted into the ignition. I looked and noticed someone tried to steal it and broke my ignition! Pissed off doesn't even begin to describe what I am feeling. However, I came on here with some questions I have.

1. Does anyone know how to unlock the bars without a key? (I did this right)

2. If not, will I have to saw the lock off when I replace the ignition?

Thank you all for listening. Rant over.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,287 Posts
Well that's a shitty way to introduce yourself here. Sorry to hear that! I can relate after having one of my old bikes stolen. The feeling of that never goes away and it sucks. Thieves should have their balls pounded flat with a sledge hammer. Glad you didn't lose your ride though!

As for your question, that won't be easy at all. The ignition barrel inserts a pin into a hole in the steering head of the frame to lock the bars. If you can't extract the pin, then they won't go anywhere. The ignition barrel is bolted to the underside of the upper triple clamp with some security screws. The heads have to be drilled off of those to remove the barrel to replace it. That will be extremely difficult since it's locked. Otherwise, you just take the upper triple clamp off and flip it over. That can't happen with it locked as the pin will prevent that.

You have to pull the whole barrel forward to extract the pin. Sawing the pin isn't possible since you can't get to it. Sawing the barrel apart won't get you far either since the pin inserts at the bottom below the triple tree where it's bolted on. You may try punching it pretty deep with a screwdriver to force it to turn, but that is pretty hard to do (for obvious reasons). It's going to be a struggle to get that unlocked. And you'll have to replace the ignition switch and keys. Then you'll need to carry a second set of keys for the fuel tank and rear passenger seat since they won't match without getting the whole set or having them rekeyed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts