Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

The wheelie..how to section..

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  DKMZX10R 
#1 · (Edited)
I am gonna be the first to start a thread on doing wheelies and if you have no interest in stunting and learning please go find another section to participate in. There is not need for haters nobody wants or needs to hear from someone that is anti-stunting in this section. I will be doing editing to this thread as I find more suitable vids to add. REMEMEBER, MOST IF NOT ALL THESE VIDS ARE EXAMPLES ON A 600CC BIKE, FOR LITER BIKES USE 2ND GEAR..NOT FIRST WHEN STARTING OUT..AGAIN, USE SECOND GEAR EVEN WHEN THE PERSON ON THE VIDEO TALKS ABOUT 1'ST GEAR.
If you already are able to do wheelies, then this thread isn't for you..

Ok now these first vids are by real stunters teaching other riders who want to learn to stunt to do it.

The videos below are for doing a clutch wheelies and are not by pros, they are just everyday riders learning and trying to explain it in their own words..

This is the part two of this guy's wheelie video.

This is DoubleT90T's vids on doing wheelies, Learn as he discusses different ways to doing wheelies and learn as he practices.
Depending on where you grew up and your method of learning this guy talks rather in good ol boy sounding english even tho he isn't old..

REMEMEBER, MOST IF NOT ALL THESE VIDS ARE EXAMPLES ON A 600CC BIKE, FOR LITER BIKES USE 2ND GEAR..NOT FIRST WHEN STARTING OUT..AGAIN, USE SECOND GEAR EVEN WHEN THE PERSON ON THE VIDEO TALKS ABOUT 1'ST GEAR.

Part two

See less See more
#2 ·
I like seeing wheelies done by others, in person, video just doesn't do it for me. I respect the skill required to do wheelies. I'd love to learn how but I don't have a bike for that. I'm just not going to do it with bikes I'm making payments on. I'm just afraid of ruining my forks. Some day though.........:badteeth:

#3 · (Edited)
the only wheelies i do are accidental coming out of corners at the track. if i do a wheelie on the street, it's even more accidental. the only piece of advice that everyone should always do is cover your rear brake.

you know how to really wheelie? just wait for that yut UUGGHH ;)

#6 ·
Covering rear brake is definitely smart, I never did and have quite a few "Loops" to show for it, lol.

I don't see anything wrong w/watching videos and reading as much as you can to try to understand the mechanics of the wheelie but it's been said a million times...You cant teach stunting.
It's just one of those things you have to learn and eventually master on ure own...or not.
Only room for one person on the bike and performing a "Textbook wheelie" is no easy task.
Probably the best and fastest way to master the wheelie ie "Balance point" is to practice on a "Fiddy" or dirtbike.
Balance point is the goal, period! Getting the bike up and into the balance point as quickly, yet slowly (Speed wise) as possible is key.
You mentioned 2nd gear correctly as far as performing a controlled wheelie, but it's a little harder to do as you don't have the benefit of 1st gear torque.
I highly recommend gearing up ure sprockets to assist in that torque pull.
I'm one of the minorities that pretty much learned to wheelie w/out clutching it up.
Don't get me wrong, I can clutch em up but I got so good at "Powering up" wheelies that I really never needed to.
My buddies used to trip at how fast I could snatch it up to full bp w/out clutching up...almost from a dead stop.
Of course I'm on e of the few who never covered rear brake either.:thumbsup:

id welcome stunt guys over in the drag area or anywhere really. thought we were above flaming on this forum. hate the whole "this section isnt for you" segregation thing. just has a bad feel to it. should be "c'mon in everybody" lol.
I agree, I get the point you were trying to make but it just came off as rude or argumentative.
I dealt with a shit ton of negativity years ago on TSB in regards to stunting on the street and gear issues...that's where the line needs to be drawn.
"If you don't approve or agree" just don't click the stunt section.
Not "If ure not a stunter or interested in stunting don't click here". :eek:ccasion1

#4 ·
id welcome stunt guys over in the drag area or anywhere really. thought we were above flaming on this forum. hate the whole "this section isnt for you" segregation thing. just has a bad feel to it. should be "c'mon in everybody" lol.

#7 ·
Sub'd.

Wheelies, stoppies, and stunts in general have never really been my thing as it'd be my luck to wipe out, cause big damage to my 10r, and then not get to enjoy riding until it's fixed.

However, I do like to practice a couple wheelies a day and I can clutch up fairly decent and ride them out a ways, but no where near balance point. I would love to get good at them, but am not going to risk totaling my 10r for it. I'll get a junk 600 sometime to thrash around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.