Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use the tornado thing from the TV commercial?
My dad's truck (2500 HD, 6.0 v8, 06) is getting less than 10 mpg. His '04 was getting closer to 15.
He's looking for answers so i looked at the tornado, so im wondering if any of you are using this thing?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
A guy I work with uses it in his truck and says it helps but he can't ever give me figures so that makes me believe the people who say it's just another gimmick. :dontknow:

Sorry, no personal experience though.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just saw a report on the news saying that, that thing is a scam, it dosnt do crap. if it gets so much better gas mi. why dont more people have it. Seriously it dosnt work, they proved it. Check online on Dateline NBC's site or might have been 20/20 it was just a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Check the airfilter, fuel fiter, tire pressure that kinda thing, other than that not alot you can do about mpg.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
zx7rydr said:
Check the airfilter, fuel fiter, tire pressure that kinda thing, other than that not alot you can do about mpg.
Use cruise control whenever possible.

Other than that you could drive like a granny, big rig or limo driver- it's an option that is never mentioned because we won't do it. Not sure I even could.
I try to chill in the car but it is easy to forget.

It'd even be dangerous to drive/accelerate slowly around here, sometimes ya gotta make your move.
It is just kind of funny to me that people talk about poor mpg of cars yet if you ask most of them when they checked the air in their tires or changed their air filter they couldn't tell you .
(not you guys though, I think bikers tend to think of tires more for obvious reasons.)

And many people who bitch fly flags and things on the car to create more drag. Use a nice aerodynamic decal maybe?

I ride more than I drive but even still, I sure am easier on the throttle after the yellow light comes on until I fill up again. If I always rode/drove that way I'd get way better mpg but it's no fun.

I remember in like 85 the BMW 633csi already had a MPG analog gauge.
Looked like a turbo gauge but just showed that the deeper you press the long pedal the less mpg you were getting.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
:smile: Did anyone else expect this thread to be about Collin Edwards?

Caught me off gaurd and a rant came out.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Consumer reports covered these devices a while back and most of them are a scam and some in fact hurt gas mileage. Only a few were shown to actaully increase mileage, the tornado not being one of them, but so minimally that they were not worth the price of the product itself.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
i've found that I can get 19 mpg on the hwy in my 02 GMC 1500 by going 75 on cruise control vs 16-17 mpg going 82-85 mph. tire pressure and air filter play a roll also. try a drop in K&N and a cat back exhuast. For city driving getting rid of the crank driven rad fan and replacing with electric fan/s helps.

·
Registered
788 Posts
if you drive 600 miles and go 60mph and burn about 3 gallons per hour you drive 10 hours and use 30 gallons. if you drive 600 miles and drive at 90 mph and use 4.5 gallons per hour you drive 6.66 hours and use 30 gallons. does speed matter?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
If you drive fast smoothly you can do okay, but if you slow and speed up a lot, use lots of 3/4 or more throttle it's going to make a difference. That is why cruise control is good, it's mellow on the
"pedal."

Kind of like city stop and go and why the est mpg is given in city vs hwy.

But if on the hwy you speed up to the next guy, hit the brakes, floor it around him and that kind of stuff- that is what I was talking about.

Seems to be the way alot of people drive here, as a generalization.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Yup, I thought it was about Colin Edwards too.

The tornado is a scam and just reduces the size of your intake by filling it with propellors.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
WOODYZX10R said:
if you drive 600 miles and go 60mph and burn about 3 gallons per hour you drive 10 hours and use 30 gallons. if you drive 600 miles and drive at 90 mph and use 4.5 gallons per hour you drive 6.66 hours and use 30 gallons. does speed matter?

400 mile trip (ta momma's house :cool: ) at 75mph yields 19mpg arriving in 5.33 hours burning 21.05 gallons

400 mile trip at 82mph yields 17mpg arriving in 4.87 hours burning 23.5 gallons.

At $3 a gallon for gas the 30 minutes saved by travelling 82mph cost $7.35

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Tornado = total wast of $$$. Today's vehicles really don't have an issue atomizing fuel/air together.

As far as other "drop in" mods, any change in air flow almost always constitues a "re-tune" or "PCM flash" in order to take full advantage. On the SRT-10, most peeps actually felt that the K&N CAI hurt performance (which also showed up on the Dyno as well). Changes in air flow coupled with a tune will net you gains, but please be cautious when it comes to "advertised" HP/MPG claims in regards to "drop in"/aftermarket mods. Most of the time, a "clean" stock air filter couple with routine maintenance is all you need to keep the MPG in line.

D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys.
The thing is the truck is brand new (under 1500 miles)
Its just stumping both of us that the exact same truck two years newer is getting on average 30% worse mileage.
Yea, i forgot about the Texas Tornado for a sec there...lol

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
So, has anyone tried the magnet around the input side of the fuel line…Fuel Master I think it’s called….was hoping to save some gas mileage :lol: :helmet:

·
Registered
754 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
:smile: Did anyone else expect this thread to be about Collin Edwards?

Caught me off gaurd and a rant came out.:rolleyes:
:+1: Go Texas Tornado!

Oh, wrong thread....................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
754 Posts
bluedevil said:
So, has anyone tried the magnet around the input side of the fuel line…Fuel Master I think it’s called….was hoping to save some gas mileage :lol: :helmet:
I think Mythbuster just busted that one wide open. The egg in the radiator to stop a leak was pretty damn cool, though! :badteeth:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts