Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mine rattles, no ticking, like a bitch! Did the 5th gear push in reverse and it did nothing.
This is an old thread...... but I think this only works if the tensioner is ready to click over to the next pawl. In other words it's gotta be good and sloppy loose.:dontknow:

Just curious why no one has marketed a stiffer spring for the stock OEM tensioner as that seems to be it's problem? I'd prefer this to a manual CCT solution.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
This is an old thread...... but I think this only works if the tensioner is ready to click over to the next pawl. In other words it's gotta be good and sloppy loose.:dontknow:

Just curious why no one has marketed a stiffer spring for the stock OEM tensioner as that seems to be it's problem? I'd prefer this to a manual CCT solution.
Last time I adjusted mine, I pulled each end of the spring to stretch it a bit. Forgot how many miles ago it was but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Last time I adjusted mine, I pulled each end of the spring to stretch it a bit. Forgot how many miles ago it was but so far so good.
It sounds like that spring is very light?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi guys,
Thought I'd video the method I use to adjust my manual cam chain tensioner. I was hoping that you would be able to clearly hear "the tick" but unfortunately my phone microphone didn't pick it up as clearly as in person.
In the video I have previously loosened the lock nut and inserted a cut-off Allen key into the shaft of the CCT.
To adjust it, I firstly back it off until I clearly hear the tick (twice in the video) and then advance it around 1/2 a turn from when the tick disappears and then tighten the lock nut.
The reason for 1/2 a turn: Adjuster thread pitch 1.25 mm, OEM CCT tooth pitch 1.0 mm, therefore 1/2 a turn = 0.625 of the original CCT step, ensuring that it isn't too tight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUO_pU2-XD0
(I couldn't embed it :frown:)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks Quantum, it sounds like you have that adjustment down to a science.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Seems as though I need to adjust my OEM CCT again...might as well clean out the air filter and look for other maintenance items to do as well.

Quantum, thanks for the post, maybe I will invest in one of the manual ones soon.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Thanks for the links mate, just ordered one for myself and a friend.

Any advice on proper install?
I can help here, thanks to Quantum and Bloo!

Pretty simple, bro:
1. Take out the OEM.
2. Unscrew the adjuster screw on the APE cct completely out.
3. Install the APE cct and tighten down the 2 securing screws.
4. Finger tighten the adjust until you feel some resistance (you'll notice it).
5. Start the bike up. I let mine run for about 15 seconds. Shut it back off.
6. Finger tighten the adjust some more until resistance is felt.
7. Start the bike back up and run to operating temp.
8. Adjust the screw when bike is fully warm.

Too tight = whining noise (it'll be obvious)
Too loose = excessive "tick"
Proper adjustment = very mild to no "tick"

Boom bam! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I can help here, thanks to Quantum and Bloo!

Pretty simple, bro:
1. Take out the OEM.
2. Unscrew the adjuster screw on the APE cct completely out.
3. Install the APE cct and tighten down the 2 securing screws.
4. Finger tighten the adjust until you feel some resistance (you'll notice it).
5. Start the bike up. I let mine run for about 15 seconds. Shut it back off.
6. Finger tighten the adjust some more until resistance is felt.
7. Start the bike back up and run to operating temp.
8. Adjust the screw when bike is fully warm.

Too tight = whining noise (it'll be obvious)
Too loose = excessive "tick"
Proper adjustment = very mild to no "tick"

Boom bam! :thumbsup:
Ok, I'm sold! It's now at the top of my "to do" list.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
In case you missed it, refer back to post #244 on this thread where I have linked a video of my adjustment method.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Dumb question but it's 3 in the morning and ive just gotten home from work and i'm tired!
i'm guessing you have to drain the radiator to do this?!
Nope. Plug it after you unhook it. I had a bucket by my side in case I lost any, but I barely lost any at all. Took my side fairing off, unhooked the radiator hose, and by that time you're halfway done already. :thumbsup:

Just undo the hose and plug it. I barely Lost a drop
:mod_smilie_+1: Mr. Wonka's got the right idea! Glad to see you around, sir. Your absence has been extensive. You must work on that :2bitchslap: lol

241 - 260 of 266 Posts