·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed, but yeah .. The other one was of my son after a bunch if sugar ... He never gets it because that is usually the end result lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
That’s exactly how mine sounds. All my Kawi’s have had the tick but this one seems louder. It almost seems like a rattle instead of a tick.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can confirm the tick on my Gen4 also...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my old Gen 1 had some top end rattles as well. I don't know, this just sounds "different" to me. Trying to get feedback from fellow Gen 4 owners since I haven't personally heard any others yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I definitely have the tick, as well. I think it's totally normal. Mine, however, makes a metallic "ching!" at 4500 rpm in 3rd. Usually when it's cold outside but engine temp is completely normal. It's weird. I called my service manager who is really knowledgable and he said that's not right. He transferred me to the warrantee lady, who was nice, and she said I need to get it in as soon as possible. I'll drop it off tomorrow. Mine has to be a one-off, you guys shouldn't worry about this. I didn't want to start a thread and make a forum tsunami like the last thread caused. I'll let you guys know what's up. I leave for the desert next month, I would hate to leave my buddy awaiting maintenance for that time but I have to. I'm extending my warrantee, as well. Which I think everyone should do anyway. Regardless of manufacturer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I definitely have the tick, as well. I think it's totally normal. Mine, however, makes a metallic "ching!" at 4500 rpm in 3rd. Usually when it's cold outside but engine temp is completely normal. It's weird. I called my service manager who is really knowledgable and he said that's not right. He transferred me to the warrantee lady, who was nice, and she said I need to get it in as soon as possible. I'll drop it off tomorrow. Mine has to be a one-off, you guys shouldn't worry about this. I didn't want to start a thread and make a forum tsunami like the last thread caused. I'll let you guys know what's up. I leave for the desert next month, I would hate to leave my buddy awaiting maintenance for that time but I have to. I'm extending my warrantee, as well. Which I think everyone should do anyway. Regardless of manufacturer.
Wow, that definitely doesn't sound good at all! Mine makes that kinda clicking noise but I mean, it runs like a champ.. When I take it in for the next service I intend to ask about it. I never get that loud ching noise at all though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I heard that sound few days ago, suddenly it disappeared and never heard again.

Strange, but hope its gone for good.
You mean the tick or the sound I mentioned? I forgot to say that mine did the "ching" from ~50-800 miles, it went away, and came back yesterday at 1690. I hope they can replicate it tomorrow and determine what it is. If it's not the exhaust servo or cam tensioner F'ing up, I'm out of possibilities in my head.

I didn't know the tensioner was doing that to these before today. It's the first I've heard of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You mean the tick or the sound I mentioned? I forgot to say that mine did the "ching" from ~50-800 miles, it went away, and came back yesterday at 1690. I hope they can replicate it tomorrow and determine what it is. If it's not the exhaust servo or cam tensioner F'ing up, I'm out of possibilities in my head.

I didn't know the tensioner was doing that to these before today. It's the first I've heard of it.
I mean the tick sound.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mines the same too, I just clicked over 750 km and when I started it up it there was a loud ticking and the clutch pin was shaking around aswell. ticking sounds like maybe the injectors, was the same as my 2008 gsxr600. Its up for it's first service at 1,000km. It's got a 2 year warranty so I'm not too concerned. I'll keep u posted!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I heard that sound few days ago, suddenly it disappeared and never heard again.

Strange, but hope its gone for good.
It is definitely the cam chain tensioner!! Refer my previous reply and follow the links to my earlier discussion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
mine use to sound something like that when the bike has not warmed up yet when i first got it, but 4000+ miles, a few oil changes and a slip on now its gone. i think its more of a break in thing. i ride hard and often so if these motors have poor designs ill fine out soon enough

·
Registered
629 Posts
Whoa! That doesn't sound like a tick to me but a TOCK!

The tick sound as I have heard it on different Ninjas is really a tick tick tick sound like taking a piece of wire and rapping on a metal bar... ticktickticktick

I'm not sure of how your cameras mic is picking up the sound, but that sounded much more mechanically "significant" and almost seems to be in sync with what sounds in the video like a stumbling idle.

My bike "drones" at idle in a steady tone with the tickticktick sound faintly in the background (comes and goes as well) and doesn't seem to be in sync with what engine idle rhythm I can discern...

I'll see if I can shoot a video tomorrow to show you what I mean...

But for now, yours sound more like a knock than a tick... :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Feanor, I don't like you very much right now ....

Jk :)

So what do you guys think? I was planning on changing the oil this weekend, but should I wait and take it to the dealer or should I go aheaf and change the oil and hope for the best?

1 - 20 of 266 Posts