Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unless you own an industral punch press or unlicensed liner accelerator there is a booby trap just waiting to "spring" in your house.

go out in your garage and look above your garage door... there are two coiled springs that act as counterweights for your garage door... quiet, silent but loaded with 200 to 400 pounds of wup azz.

came home to a garage door that wouldn't open, mind you I use my garage door to get in the house, don't even have a key to the front door on my ring. Found that one of the recoil springs had snapped (glad I wasn't around for that). Ok, fine, zip out to "home cheapo"... what, no garage springs? Least the guy at Manards was 1. informative enough to tell me they don't carry them because of the liability, and 2. nice enough to tell me that Farm and Fleet does carry them...

first step is to take the tension off the remaining spring:sad: I've jumped into a turn with the back wheel dancing and the front squealing... and I've never been more afraid then twisting on that last set screw.

pulled it apart, old and busted off, new hotness on. Kept ... most of my skin on my fingers and blood in my body... and tensioned the springs until the door weighed only 10 pound or so... The garage door opener lifts it just fine now...

Mine has a "danger orange" tag on it telling you that death will occure if you look at it cross ways... but those wern't required until 2000, so if your house is older... It looks quite and harmless... but it's not

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
I do most of the stuff around the house myself but that one was a no-no for me. I called the man. Ive heard too many horror stories.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it catches most people by suprise, mostly because they don't think their garage door weighes that much (because it's always been assisted by those springs) and it just sits there, it's not hot or making alot of noise.

I've done one on a single garage door and this is my first double car garage... I'd say the double is more dangerous because on the single, when it broke... there wasn't any more energy in the system...

with the double... there is the second spring and it's still under tension. Take anything apart with that still twisting the bar... and something bad is going to happen.

if it doesn't bust you in the face or twist off a finger... it will certainly knock you off the ladder and you can crack your skull or snap a leg...

just sayin, this is one to take two or three looks at, before you start wrenching.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
A guy I worked with had the old style one solid piece door that swings up and out instead of the multi panel. Well that style door the spring runs down to floor. One day he was done working in garage so shut door and while walking by floor to walk out the spring let go. Knocked him out cold. He was alone so when he woke up had no clue what happened but one he was bleeding and in pain. A fractured creek bone and a few stitches and was good but quickly replaced doors with a different style for safety of his kids.

Sent from HTC incredible with love!

·
Registered
91 Posts
lol, funny coincidence this thread popped up. I just watched a youtube tutorial last weekend and replaced one of my springs that broke. Went pretty smooth.

Almost as sketchy as when I was replacing some springs and drop spindles on my buddies blazer. We didn't have a spring compressor and that fucker popped out hella fast flying past both of us hitting the garage wall. Was super lucky it didn't hit us. Serious injury or death can occur when a coil spring suddenly unleashes tension.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I do most of the stuff around the house myself but that one was a no-no for me. I called the man. Ive heard too many horror stories.
:+2:I can do most stuff around the house electrical ,plumbing, fence etc but those springs best to leave to the ones that do it often(and even they slip up :badteeth: ) Lucky for me the last time my spring broke a family member that use to do that came over and changed them out for me. :cool:

bloo

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Springs are always dangerous. The bigger the worse. I work at a spring manufacturer and you have to always be on your toes, especially when the springs are being coiled. There have been several accidents at our facility from wire feeding through the machine and stabbing people. Some place in chicago had a death recently from the wire skipping over the arbor and going right through his heart.
Shit's crazy.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
My wife is by far the most dangerous thing in my home. She makes Chuck Norris look like a biatch. I fix anything she tells me to, garbage disposal, garage door, she made me dig the toaster from the bath tub full of water just the other day.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My wife is by far the most dangerous thing in my home. She makes Chuck Norris look like a biatch. I fix anything she tells me to, garbage disposal, garage door, she made me dig the toaster from the bath tub full of water just the other day.
:lol::lol::lol: a Wise man knows where to pick his battles

+1000.... Warned my dad about this buy he tried anyway, watched as a screwdriver flew past his head and halfway through a wall
Yeah, screw driver is NOT the right tool. I actually have two steel rods that I've turnd down to the proper size for those little holes on the end where you wind the spring... HOWEVER... in a pinch, if you don't have the proper rod... if you get 2x 3/8ths inch drive socket extentions, 10 inch long or better you can get the job done as safe as DIY can be done. screw drivers and drift pins or spuds are tapered and WILL slip out at the worst possible time.

oh and you need 1/4 turn of the spring for every 4 inches of door height if your winding the lift cable on a 4" diam wheel... IE 7 foot door, 4 inch diam cable drum gives you 28x 1/4 turns on the spring... 8 foot door would be 32x 1/4 turns... mind you, this is for a single size car garage door... if is a two car garage, double that... but more frequently for the 2 car garage door, it will have 2 springs so each spring gets the calculated number of 1/4 turns.

just be careful, this crap will knock you more stupid then ya'll aready are.:crackup:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Very informative yet also hillarious thread. Thanks Rifleman!
Subscribed!!:spit::badteeth:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I lived over on the east coast of Fla a few years back. The salt air played hell with metal. I had a spring pop at about 2am....grabbed my .45 and ran towards the garage. Took me a bit, but after seeing a LARGE dent/hole in the door to the garage, I found the spring. Dayuum, that was loud!

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Can't risk it. My youth used up all the spare brain cells. I'm rationing from here on out! :helmet:
:crackup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Before 2003, I think, the "code" only required one spiring to counter weight the door. My house had only one spring and it was about 4 feet long all the way tightend. Well, that sucker broke while we were home. We all shit our pants simultaniously. We cracked the garage door at the top, trying to open the door, because we didn't know it was the spring that broke; we thought something fell next door. The wife's car and my bike was stuck for 3 days til the Garage Door Guy could get there. Ended up replacing the entire thing: rail, door, springs, and opener.

If anyone has to replace the spring, and you only have one, make sure they put 2 springs rather than one big spring. That way if one breakes your car or bike isn't stuck in the garage for 3 days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts