Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly to say, Honda has stated that this year will be the last for the 125 and 250 and If honda is doing it the rest is sure to follow. I hate it. I'm on a motocross forum too and everone on there is younger, ride four strokes, and dis 2's saying they're slow. Until I posted a thread that few replied on saying are four's faster or just twice as big, put a cr250 up with a crf250 or a 450 with a cr500. One guy said that a 450 would out run a 500 and we laughed at him:crackup: . Anyways I figured you guys grew up in the dirt too what's your feelings. Its not that I dislike the four strokes but I'm damn sad to see the 2's go. I when to the Amped mobil curcuit in Indy to wacth the big boys. It was alsome, but sure didnt sould the same. L8er

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I grew up with 2 strokes, but you would occasionally see a CCM 500 thumper at the track this was back in the late 70's early 80's.

I think 2 strokes are still good for motocross where you are on the throttle a lot more, but for supercross on twisty short tracks with no good straightaways the 4 strokes rule.

Shame, I miss the smell of Castrol R burning .

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Just something about that two stroke sound on a dirtbike.

Even if 4 cycle gets to be better in all situations I think a bit of the thrill will be gone.

And it is easier to overbore a cylinder or replace it and the piston every so often than to have to change oil and filters all the time and valves every 25 hrs or whatever.

I always changed the gear oil on my dirtbikes after a weekend anyway and cleaned the airfilter, new plug.
But that and a good cleaning was about it.

Ran the gas a little rich, fouled a few plugs but the cylinder lasted longer.

On the bright side, I guess it would be practice for adjusting valves, and no more premixing.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yes it is a sad day.... when no more 2-strokes....

I get the 2's are slower than the 4's all the time and in fact a CR250R is still a better bike than a CRF450....

The CR250 still weighs alot less, has a better frame and chassis, it handles way better than a CRF, Its easier to control in mid air,... etc... I could go on and on....

The only reason that the 4-strokes got sooo popular the past 5 years is because technology has gotten better and they were able to make good power in a smaller 4-stroke design.... The fact remains that a 4-stroke power band is alot easier(<key word) to ride and much more forgiving than a 2-stroker.....

It takes a more exprienced rider to ride a 2-stroke fast, to keep it in its power band, you can be faster on the a CR250 vs. a CRF450 if you know what you are doing....

I'm still a 2-stroke guy and everytime I hopp on a CRF450 it feels like a tank and it pushes bad in corners and the chassis just does not feel as planted as my CR250... I rather mix my gas and have a better bike....

Look at Ricky Carmicheal, He rode a CR250R for two seasons more than the other big dogs, but more people started riding 4-stroke motocross bikes because they were "easier" to ride... Finaly Honda told Ricky thats enough and put him on a the CRF, why? because racing is about selling bikes to the Manufacters.....

I just recently rode a '06 CR250 and let me tell you, It was the badest dirtbike I have ever riden, It was almost perfect, the chassis, forks, shock, seating postion, the motor output was just unreal for a CR250, It handled like a F***'in razor! cut in the corners like nobody's business!!

Before this years over I will be down at the dealer pick'in up a brand spank'in new '07 CR250!........:mrgreen:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Theres just something to be said about that insane moment when all hell breaks loose on a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
FAF said:
Theres just something to be said about that insane moment when all hell breaks loose on a 2 stroke.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!........

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had; '75 RD 350 Yam-original, and '75 H2 750 Kaw orig....made the mistake of selling them and I regret it. If you have a two stroke offroad or street, consider keeping it if possible, they are collectors and also fun to own and ride.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
2 stroke gone...

30 years ago back in Europe I raced 2 seasons of Kawasaki Cup with the S3 (400cc 3 cyl 2 stroke), those were the days :mrgreen:

Couple of years (1973 ??) before that, the 750 H2 came out, also 3 cyl/2 str., it was a monster, smoked EVERYTHING else at the time, I drove one once, would wheelie 1st to 4th :thumbsup:

Now I do own a Honda CR 250 so I can still mix my own sh...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well I race offroad and I can tell you that my 300cc 2 stroke has trouble going against the 450F's in straight line stuff. I personally do not like how the 4stk's seem to carry their weight higher than a 2stk, and some of this weight is rotating which makes the bike itself feel heavy. Nowadays 4stks are within a pound of their 2stk counterpart, so weight is similar, but it is carried differently.

The only thing I like more about the 4stks is that they just eat whoops, and of course that some of them have more power with the extra cc's. I have hit whoop sections on 4stks that are hectic on my bike and the 4stks act like they are not even there.

As for the death of the 2stk. the manufacturers are to blame for this. The AMA competition committee banned the use of leaded fuels which hampered the 2stk performance. Now why would the comp comm do this? Because the comp comm is staffed by the manufacturers who wanted to sell their new product that now has more moving parts that are expensive. Why did they do this? Because the dealers and manufacturers make a little bit of money when they sell a bike, and even more money for the parts that are later purchased to service these bikes, therefore a 4stk makes the manufacturers and dealers more money per unit.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The 2 strokes were cheap thrills, and in the mid 70's when they became relatively reliable, you could have a blast without too much wrench turning. Small, light and aggressive (and cheap) they had a formula for fun that you don't see so much today. I had a '75 RD 350 Yam Twin cyl, 6speed, with chambers, raised exhaust ports, K&N filters, rejetted carbs, regeared, and wearing wheelie bars, that would run 12.7sec 1/4 miles....had about $900 tied up in the whole rig.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Well , if they could make corn oil a good substitute for 2 stroke oil maybe there could be a revival.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I spent many yrs off road on 4 and 2 stroke dirtbikes, but I fell in love with the way the 2 stroke powerband jumped in; and it was over. I will miss those 2 stroke off road, I guess when my kids start riding; I will have to look at a used 2 stroke, for myself.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
i had 73 Honda 250 Elsinore. iu riddin bultacos, ossa, cz,java and most fun bike was hodaka 125. the yz in the 70 were good, but along came the RM. it's sad to see two stroke go away.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
rocketracermike said:
i had 73 Honda 250 Elsinore. iu riddin bultacos, ossa, cz,java and most fun bike was hodaka 125. the yz in the 70 were good, but along came the RM. it's sad to see two stroke go away.
1st real dirt bike, besides a z50, that I got to ride was a Hodaka Dirt Squirt.

We were building a KE100 but after beating the hodaka, my friend's dad decided I need a 125.
So we pulled the frame from the weeds behind his garage and the motor from the attic and soon I had a suzuki TM125, then yammis and a husky, much later a cr.

And now the only streetbike I haven't owned from the big 4 brands is Suzuki, where I started.

But the KE100 has always been my "asterisk" 1st bike with that story attatched to the asterisk.
And now I have the 10r, my 1st kawi save for the KE100.

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
Never rode a 2-stroke street or dirt bike... Always fantasized about a road going 2-stroke. An NSR replica.... :cool: And there was talk about direct injection cleaning them up... Not sure if that went anywhere...

I have thrown a leg over a couple 2-stroke 4 wheelers though. A Suzuki LT500 and a Yamaha Banshee. Wow. Those things were animals once the power hit.

Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts