Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Race on Sunday sell on Monday marketing has been around almost as long as the motorized vehicle itself . But it has always been a bigger factor in motorcycling that any other vehicle especially in the sportbike segment . Europe has always been the leader in both sportbike sales and motorsports entusiast. Motorcycle racing on network television has been commonplace there for years now . In an interview with Nick Ienish the editor of motorcycylist ,sportbike magazine and the US ambasitor of sorts for motorcyclist in the United States said the manufactures be they Japanese or Europeon have reserched the sales figures ( mostly europe, they have alway gotten prefferance in the sportbike market) and came to the conclusion that race wins are THE biggest and most effective sales tool in the sportbike maket bar none . With the second factor of magazine reviews comming in a distant second the manufactures are now building production motorcycles on the basis of what will help them win on the racetrack . So things like midrange power ,low speed stability , city riding , ergonomics, the pouch we all miss under the seat to hold your regisration lol ect are going by the wayside. So if your wondering why the horsepower wars have taken the bikes to the point where they dont work best till 7000rpm and your afraid to take a new bike into a parking lot for fear the carbon fiber bodywork that cost 1000$ a panel might get broken .. just remember the old saying ... be carefull what you wish for ..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
However if you are looking for a race bike, the new machinery is getting so good out of the box, that little needs to be done to make it better.

You see the glass is half empty.....I see the glass is half full.........of scotch. lol

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disargee I still want the pouch under the seat to hold my insurance cards registration ect lol. Seriously it is a pain in the ass not having a place to store anything what so ever. Thats why I had to buy anouther bike (KTM 990 adventure ) DAM!! the bastards got me lol

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not sure i Follow the Whole win on sunday sell on monday, as seriously yeah it may have been in the 80's and 90's but now adays lets see....(Europe is differnt than the states for sure).
But Seriously Suzuki has sold bikes all over the world and well suzuki has done NOTHING on a world level competition wise (the spies/mladin show is nothing to european folks)
if you want to see markets that is where the Japanese make their money as well as ducati.
Hell make a bike that looks good, performs good, has something others dont, and you have a winner....ala 1098/1998
the BMW will grab some mad sales as well, good performance and loads of tech...

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
not sure i follow the whole win on sunday sell on monday, as seriously yeah it may have been in the 80's and 90's but now adays lets see....(europe is differnt than the states for sure).
But seriously suzuki has sold bikes all over the world and well suzuki has done nothing on a world level competition wise (the spies/mladin show is nothing to european folks)
if you want to see markets that is where the japanese make their money as well as ducati.
Hell make a bike that looks good, performs good, has something others dont, and you have a winner....ala 1098/1998
the bmw will grab some mad sales as well, good performance and loads of tech...
:+2:

Nothing sells like sex on wheels

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
MAGIK MAVIS? Ok win on sunday not race on sunday your nitpicking first off . Whats with the attitude? Im quoting Ienatschs interview On what the factories thoughts are on whats important in the marketplace . Ienatschs has more influance with the factories than anyone on this site thats for sure . And Ienatscs been an editor of a major motorcycle magazine for roughly 20 years . He is most likely to be able to get inside information .These are HIS statements and Views NOT MY OWN . pesonally I think what people want in a sportbike is ... Styling , power, streetablity ( easy to ride slow around in city surroundings , cruising ) and the ability to go fast easily . Like the Stable Ducatis , Gixxers ect . I have stated here before that if most people rode Rossis motoGP bike they would think it handles Terrible( too twitchy ) and would prefer there own production sportbike. WHAT IENATSCS is saying is the factories are looking at race wins as the most powerful sales tool and looking to build bikes that will win races and the sales will naturally follow . The New BMW s1000, Aprilla RSV4 1000 and the KTM RC8 seem to back up IENATSCS statements as they are racebikes with lights .

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
While Ben Spies was winning races on Sunday, and championships I was selling my Yamaha 09 R1. Ben and Yamaha's race success didn't mean shit to me, because the bike I was riding was under-powered, over-weight and not near as exciting as I thought it would be when I bought it. .

I think your buying into the cliches to much, AND, your not even qouting the cliche correctly.

Its WIN (not race) on Sunday, sell on Monday. Quite a different thing actually.

Suzuki "raced" on Sunday in WSB and MOTOGP and didn't win shit, but come Monday Suzuki sold boat loads of bikes to the squids, because thats their marketing niche.

Ohhhh but you bought one! And Yamaha made there $$ off you!... they don't loose $$ if you sell it, they could careless! you just proved his point! :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Out of all the sportbike riders I know and have known, I honestly do not think any of them bought their bikes due to race results on Sunday.

Any halfway intelligent rider knows that factory bikes are factory bikes.

Ben Spies would sweep the AMA on any factory machine. It's not the Yamaha winning the races.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I dont think you read to carefully in your zeal to try and one up.

<<<Ben and Yamaha's race success didn't mean shit to me>>>

I said I didn't care about Ben Spies success and so that was NOT the reason I bought the 09 R1. So NO, I didn't just prove his point as you so proudly claim. The opposite actually.

And, Liter bikes are "lo$$ leader$" for the big 4, so your wrong, Yamaha made NO money off me.

Sorry man,
Bs, the profit margin may be small but they do make money off sportbikes otherwise they wouldn't do it. Special ****. bikes are a different story though and if you can get your hands on one do it. Lol I said ****.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Specifically it's bragging rights that sell. I don't have alot of riding exprience and I can typically beat the crap out of people that think there bike is all that. I also know a few people that can make me look like I'm not even moving. Yamaha built their bike wrong. They built a bike to go fast around a track. For some that works. Personally I want a bike that typically feels faster than it is cause there's always going to be someone to hand your ass to you. I think Kawasaki understands this. Let's hope they don't mess it up!!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ZX0RACER thanks for getting my back . And remember Magic Marvis is such a good rider that if you state that most riders cant utillize the power of the new sportbikes to thier fullest and take them to the limit . You have to excude MagicMarvis he can ride ANY bike with ANY amout of HP . HE is just THAT GOOD . If you dont beleive me just ask Him lol.

PS ZX10Racer dont piss him off i know you won a class championship but you dont want Maic Marvis to go to your track and embarrass you by lapping you 5 or 6 times .

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Biggest sales tool; street reputation. Thats where most buyers will be using their bikes. I believe street reputation means horsepower that keeps you ahead of the other guy. A fairly savy, slightly above average street rider can utilize almost all, if not all, of his sportbikes horsepower in a straightline dash. It will take alot more than a slightly above average rider and his skills to exploit a modern sportbikes' handling prowess.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Not making money off liter bike and selling them for cheap is more of a economy thing. They aren't structured to sell at that price. But I'm pretty sure they are making a bit of money on them. Dealership if anything are taking the hardest hit on that pricing. The cheap pricing is good and bad for us as well. Resell on a 08-10 is going to be shit and because of that pricing I'm never going to pay anything close to mrsp. Liter bikes take huge hits in bad economies simply because they are quite a bit more expensive than 600. Take in consideration intial cost, insurance, fuel, tires/general maintenance and most people are going to go for a 600 or 750. 750 are great cause they are in the same insurance bracket as 600s. Where I live anyway. Basically the way the economy is going liter bikes are going to be a status symbol of wealth as most people will not be able to afford the new ones.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I dont think you read to carefully in your zeal to try and one up.

<<<Ben and Yamaha's race success didn't mean shit to me>>>

I said I didn't care about Ben Spies success and so that was NOT the reason I bought the 09 R1. So NO, I didn't just prove his point as you so proudly claim. The opposite actually.

And, Liter bikes are "lo$$ leader$" for the big 4, so your wrong, Yamaha made NO money off me.
Sorry man,
Please tell me you don't believe that!!! And my point is you bought into the hype, be it Ben winning or Yamaha's new motor hype! You paid for the bike, they sold to you! and don't think for a min that they made no $ off it! Come on man!........... Don’t make me make a video! HAHAHA

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Please tell me you don't believe that!!! And my point is you bought into the hype, be it Ben winning or Yamaha's new motor hype! You paid for the bike, they sold to you! and don't think for a min that they made no $ off it! Come on man!........... Don’t make me make a video! HAHAHA
Do it I Wanna see this video lol

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
not making money off liter bike and selling them for cheap is more of a economy thing. They aren't structured to sell at that price. But i'm pretty sure they are making a bit of money on them. Dealership if anything are taking the hardest hit on that pricing. The cheap pricing is good and bad for us as well. Resell on a 08-10 is going to be shit and because of that pricing i'm never going to pay anything close to mrsp. Liter bikes take huge hits in bad economies simply because they are quite a bit more expensive than 600. Take in consideration intial cost, insurance, fuel, tires/general maintenance and most people are going to go for a 600 or 750. 750 are great cause they are in the same insurance bracket as 600s. Where i live anyway. Basically the way the economy is going liter bikes are going to be a status symbol of wealth as most people will not be able to afford the new ones.
:+1:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Do it I Wanna see this video lol
I think that’s a joke only he and a few others may get! There was some guy taking about doing Wheelies on his bike on a dirt road {or some shit} and Magic was calling him out so the dude went out and made a video of it! it was a hella tight video if I remember right!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Best sales tool is horsepower, always has been always will be. Ten years from now when we are all on electric bikes, I want the fastest one.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts