Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am going to put myself out there and see where my training stands. I am entering the NAGA (North American Grapplin Association) Tournament at the Arnold Classic in Columbus Ohio....I will be grappling in the Masters Division (age 30-39). I will be in the beginners division because I have less than 1 year of training. I am working on cutting some weight to get out of the Super Heavy Weight division (225lbs+) I am going to get into the Heavy Weight Division (200-224.9lbs). This is my first go round in a tournament, so I am a bit nervous now, but I know that as the time draws closer, I will get more and more nervous!!

Anyway....I will be posting my progress on the weight and training and let all of you know how things are going....I hope to have someone there to video the event, so maybe I can even get that posted up after the event.....

Stay Tuned!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'll be there. I went last year, and it was a blast. Its funny how downtown columbus has "joes" around, but when the Arnold Classic comes to town, there are freakin Monsters everywhere. Steroids anyone?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a grappling tournament for mixed martial arts....It is basically a jujitsu tournament...But, there is no striking allowed. Just throws, ankle locks, knee bars, arm bars and other submission tactics.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wish you the best of luck. We went last year as well, but we went to the fitness/bodyduilding event. I'm not a big guy, but you feel REALLY small when you're around the people at the classic. I was bound and determined to get there for my wife who has started personal training. Anyway, I wanted to get over to the martial arts but never got the chance. We were taking Tae Kwon Do at the time and needed something to look forward to. Anyway, we're rooting for you!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a friend that trains with Pat Miletich fighting systems up in Iowa, I am going to a couple of amateur fights myself...... It will be a blast....

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I have been dieting since Sunday and I can already tell a difference! This should also help with my track riding this summer. We started training specifically for this event last night. It kind of sucks because the tournament is geared towards Brazilian JuJitsu which is different than Japanese JuJitsu...which is what I train in. We cannot do small joint manipulation....which is really more Aikido than jujitsu but it is still effective!

My buddy and his girlfriend are driving me down Sunday morning so there will be someone to video tape....hopefully I will get more than 1 fight, but who knows. I may also get into more than just the Masters division. They have an open mens division (no age restiction) but I am not sure about that....I could go against a 19 year old that is alot better shape than I am.

The rounds are 4 and 5 minutes. 1 round with a winner declared after that round. There could also be a 2 minute overtime if the ref and judges can't decide on a winner....I am training hard for this....I have never done anything like this before and I really want to showcase the great teachers we have at our dojo.....Anyway....more to come!!!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, btw....Anyone from the area that is going, pm me and I will get you my cell # and maybe we can meet up there....I have no idea how this is run or whatever, but I figure I have to eat at some point!!!!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Dont worry about it bro the way you are thinking right now your gonna get triangled. Fucking remeber your training and wait for an opportunty to arise. I have been training for some time now and take it from me the man with the most confidence wins. walk in there KNOWING you are gonna own this guy. I suggest waiting for him to shoot then take him out. either jump his back and rear naked his ass or arm bar him. I love that arm bar.btw i wish i could go this year but due to a broken foot from a bike accident I can;t compete. I am a super heavy weight (250lbs 6'1). Good luck and let me know who you fought.

·
Registered
708 Posts
:eek:t: hey mach man i'm 6'1' 225 on the muscular side and would like to know what type of leathers you have ,off rack or personal made. i can't seem to find a good fit/ i'm moveing to savannah and would like to start doin track days.
thanks,
john

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shenanigans said:
Dont worry about it bro the way you are thinking right now your gonna get triangled. Fucking remeber your training and wait for an opportunty to arise. I have been training for some time now and take it from me the man with the most confidence wins. walk in there KNOWING you are gonna own this guy. I suggest waiting for him to shoot then take him out. either jump his back and rear naked his ass or arm bar him. I love that arm bar.btw i wish i could go this year but due to a broken foot from a bike accident I can;t compete. I am a super heavy weight (250lbs 6'1). Good luck and let me know who you fought.
Yea, I know....I just get nervous about this type of stuff. I never took tests very well in school either...Something I will get over the morning of the tournament. I am sure that my training will take over and I am confident that I will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blackbeast said:
:eek:t: hey mach man i'm 6'1' 225 on the muscular side and would like to know what type of leathers you have ,off rack or personal made. i can't seem to find a good fit/ i'm moveing to savannah and would like to start doin track days.
thanks,
john
John...I am the same way....I haven't been able to find anything that fit me well. I just wear a two piece suit....

·
Registered
708 Posts
mach_man_187 said:
John...I am the same way....I haven't been able to find anything that fit me well. I just wear a two piece suit....
thanks bro i was leaning thatway but i just figured you might know a different route.
regards,
john

1 - 19 of 19 Posts