Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought the 2005 last Oct it had ( est ) 450 miles on it. I noticed that it some times sputtered at idle. Didn't matter if it was at 160 degrees or 190 it still did it. When you look at the TACH you all know where the last lil digital block mark is at, at 1500rpm's? Just past that is when you get the thicker digital blocks. Well its goes from 1500 to the block, back n forth. It's like puh puh puh. Like a sputtering sound. When that happens and I take off normal from a start I can feel it and hear it sputtering. Sounds like a scooter. It feels like it has NO POWER. The once I get up to about 3k it goes away and boom power. I am planning on taking this into the Dealer in about 2 weeks to get fully looked over. When it does that it worries me. I'm thinking maybe it's the plugs. Part of me thinks when it sounds like a scooter there's a dead cylinder and zzzzzzzzzz that would be gay. The girl has 1860 miles on here now. So I put some miles on here over the month of OCT 07 and this past weekend.

Short story:
The bike was bought in 05 from a Lady in NY who co-signed for a friend. He rode it that one summer then got cheap on the insurance and it sat after that. Not getting ridden in 2006 or 2007 untill Oct when I picked it up. So I always thought since it sat so long that maybe it needed something.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the same thing so even tho this is over doing it late mid OCT 07 when I did the bikes first oil and filter change I put a full bottle of STP in there. I know over kill but eh I figured if that's it it would clean it right up...

any opinions on what to do and/or use? If I can save a ton from taking it to the dealer I would. I figured I would take it for peace of mind, but if I can get it running good on my own then I am all for it :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BD this has been happening since I got it. For about 1400 miles now. The tank has been filled plenty since I got it unless what your saying is there's a possibility there's still some old gas in the tank, even after tons of fill ups?
Do think with it sitting has long as it did it messed the lines, filter etc up? I remember when I first picked up the bike and started it the fuel light was on so there really wasn't much gas in it.

As far as the OCT. I have always used 92 to 93 OCT

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has a Full EVO 2 system and PC3. BUT this happened way before these parts were put on. How easy/hard is to to change the filter?

·
Registered
724 Posts
ok...so it's gotta be because it's sat for so long and not properly stored. Replace the fuel filter and use some type of FI Injector cleaner....I would think that would improve things.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok will do... I will try to get a price on a oem fuel filter and use some lucas unless there's something else everyone recommends??

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can'ty find any fuel filters

anyone???

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Air filter?:dontknow: Were not talking about that. Plus I got a BMC Race, why would I down grade myself to a K&N>>:dontknow:

Anyhow about the plugs I have thought about that but don't want to do that so if I can find and do the fuel filter and it still sputters I will take it to the dealer and have them work it.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
The fuel filter is on the fuel pump. If'n I remember correctly.

Tread

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
gunk in filter will give you eratic idle but run better at high rpms water won,t run threw, just tiny amount. methal hidrate will absorb water, if u try use a small amount maybe 1 oz. in a tank it is used in power saws all the time in rainy snowe weather and won,t hurt them. up to u

·
Registered
561 Posts
LMAO some peeps just don't read, then they wanna give out bad advice.

Judd let's wash your fuel filter. Screw paying a few bucks on getting a new one, let's just put it in the dishwasher.

Sounds like a fuel filter / spark plug replacing weekend :) Whatever you do, I'll do to mine as well :)

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I will say that I have gotten some surging while just cruising with some friends and I believe it has been not so fresh gas from the stores. I don't seem to get the surging when I use the 93 octane from Shell stations. It wouldn't hurt to check and clean the filter just to make sure since it sat for a while.

Tread

·
Registered
742 Posts
If cleaning the fuel filter does not solve your problem, remove the injectors and get them ultrasound cleaned.
Its only 2 phillips screws to remove the 4 of them. You have to remove the airbox of course. You may change the spark plugs at the same time.

Thats the way to turn your 10 into a OneFAST10

1 - 20 of 53 Posts