Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back from a private test session down in Alabama. What an experience! I was one of 5 guys there and there was no lack of talent. It seemed like you could ride almost all day and not get caught up with a single person. I was worried about getting in the way of the other guys but fortunately I wasn't too far off their pace that if I came out 1/2 a track ahead or behind we didn't meet up or if we did they'd go around and I'd try and tag along for as long as I could. I ended up about 3s off the fastest guys (I was in the 1:00's) and about 1.5 off the slower fast guy lol. I was the slowest there but also the least experienced by miles. Having been the first time I swung a leg over a bike since September and my first time at that track I was pretty happy.

We got some issues sorted out from last year and I found some weaknesses that I'll be working on before the season starts. I should have some good pics to show soon as there were two videographers there taking pics and videos.

Here's a couple I took from the first day of the new colour and the other guys bikes. There's one rider missing as he was pitted further down on his beast of a duc.

New paint for 2016. Graphics yet to be added.

Our setup

Their setup lol.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice looks like you had a blast.
It was pretty nerve racking on the way down I must say. I was worried I'd be a pylon out there but fortunately I wasn't. I've never been down to the US to ride and the caliber of riders that were with us had me a bit rattled.

I can't believe how smooth the asphalt was but it just destroyed my tires. I also brought the wrong compounds so that really didn't help. In 2 days I ruined 3 rears and 2 fronts. I could have put another set on too but I ran out unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! Many of my buddies ride/race there but I've never been there.
It's a fun little track. Nice and wide with lots of passing zones. You don't get anymore then topish of 4th. I'm pretty sure Bobby went 1s faster then the lap record and Aussie Dave was right there too.

Oh, is that a Tightails subframe?
No motoholders.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Great shots!

TGP was my old stompin ground. Used to run 1:06's there on Pilot Power street tires in 100° heat while control riding or instructing & had some epic fairing bangin races there on such a tight, short track which seems big right up to the point someone wants your line going into the bowl or into the esses. Lots of great times... I've always said if you can go fast at TGP you can go fast anywhere.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Well ya know back in the day it used to go both directions and what is now the paved road in the middle of the paddock was the front straight!

Unfortunately, when they made the track bigger the angle at the bottom of the track pushes the riders right into a drainage tube if they run off

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering if it would be more dangerous to ride backwards. I guess not really, I can't picture what you'll be pointed at going into turn one backwards or off the back straight. I tend to try and look where I'm going or trying to go lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts