Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i could have asked a hard core harly dude this question but i would like to hear a biassed opinion, mabey:iamwithst but for the life of me i cant see buying a harly.what is it about this over priced ,over weight ,under horse powered cement mixer oxen of a motorcycle that sells.all i can guess is its a life style.is it all the accesories. mabye i can see owning a big bike to take the wife for a comfortable ride into the mountians but even then i'd get the vulcan. i did see one that if i had a gun to my head i would ride but it was $30.000.00 smackers,sorry harly guys i got nothin but love for ya (except you pricks that pour vege oil on the corners at the gap)i just wish i could see what you see.:dontknow:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
if it aint fast chrome it! I do'nt think its about the old school hardcore 'Biker' anymore. Anybody with a thick enough wallet seems to want the image thing. Sad really .

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
They are a "me too" bike you get one just to say you have one and then you go buy a butt load of Harley crap to wear around so people know you have one when you are driving you car around.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
They are a "me too" bike you get one just to say you have one and then you go buy a butt load of Harley crap to wear around so people know you have one when you are driving you car around.
Actually those People have a Sticker "Harley Davidson" on their truck or car.:dontknow: I mean I don't need to advertise on my Car I have a ZX10R with less than Twice the weight of a Harley and Double the HP do I? :dontknow: :lol:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Actually those People have a Sticker "Harley Davidson" on their truck or car.:dontknow: I mean I don't need to advertise on my Car I have a ZX10R with less than Twice the weight of a Harley and Double the HP do I? :dontknow: :lol:
:crackup::+1:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I come from a family of bikers and not one of us has one my dad did, but he saw that every body else had one so he got a Triumph

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will more than like buy a cruiser in the next five to seven years,but definitely not a Harley...for the simple fact...I ride want I want...not what the book or buddy says is cool,better retail....and all that other b.s. don't forget you are behind the handle bars and no one else...get want YOU want....I'm leaning towards a Eliminator or a V-max something totally tricked out of course...oh buy the way keeping the TEN for track days and funtime riding without the old lady..choose wisely

·
Registered
229 Posts
old cruiser and newer tricked parts ...it will be cool

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
they call it a "lifestlye" i call it a waste of money to be "cool" again

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have to admit I like my older brother's night train. It's flat black, sounds nice, and runs good. I'd never buy one, but I could see why my brother likes it. He bought it because he can.

To each his own I guess. Most Harley guys are actually pretty alright guys.

I actually got my brother to buy a full face helmet and I bought him a nice scorpion leather jacket 2 years ago with armor and spine protector. He actually looks a lot better than the bandana crowd and is way safer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
All of this can be summed up by reading this...

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

This has been around for a while but if you have never read it... it's well worth your time. Not only is it is hillarious but quite informative. The guy has a way with words to say the least so if you got a few minutes to spare...enjoy.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Guy pulled up next to me and a friend in Coconut Grove the other day on a harley with the radio on, no helmet. He left a really nice blackie for about a city block when the light changed.
Was pretty funny, he had just said how our bikes were faster but that he could listen to the radio. Seemed like a decent guy.

His friend was on a VW franken trike with nitrous, given a choice there, I'd take the harley. Trike didn't do anything impressive either.

·
Registered
777 Posts
There's a lot of patriotism involved too. Most guys around here are cool, but they'd never own a 'jap bike' or 'riceburner' or whatever. Same as they wouldn't buy a Tundra over an F-150.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
There's a lot of patriotism involved too. Most guys around here are cool, but they'd never own a 'jap bike' or 'riceburner' or whatever. Same as they wouldn't buy a Tundra over an F-150.
Shows what they know.

Harley may be the most American company left, I don't know.
But they use Jap parts in places and all their branded crap is made elsewhere.
Shirts, assless chaps......

Toyota, honda and the like have actually opened plants here while the "U.S." car companies go to mexico or canada and make lots of cars in europe to sell there. Then they don't bring some of those cool models here because, "we wouldn't want them," just like "no one wanted" toyotas when they got here all those years ago.

We almost got a modern "el camino" the holden from Austrailan GM, but that was to be labeled as a pontiac so....

They aren't American companies, they are international companies.

But to each their own I suppose.

At least the dealership is in the U.S. and probably owned by a citizen and operated by Americans.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've ridden a few harleys and enjoyed them.

If you truely appreciate all things mechanical, I think you would enjoy a harley as well (an older one, anyways). I rented a '97 Heritage softail once. I was sitting on top of 100 moving parts, and every last one of them made it's presence known.

most modern things do their best to hide what's undernieth. Motors get smoother, quieter, more refined....all in an attempt to hide the explosions going on inside them. I appreciate the "roughness" of the older harley's. They make no attempt to hide what's undernieth.

It was neat in a mechanical, "good old days" throwback kinda way. It made going slow a lot of fun.

No f in way I would spend $10k on it though.....or put on some ***** assless chaps and a leather vest. LAME

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The mods they do to them are not very awesome either, pipes OK that is cool but covering it in leather and chrome is not my thing. To each their own but don't ask me to like it.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts
It's funny how HD owners will drop around $25,000 to $45,000 on a bike for us, the first thing that runs through our minds with lets say $35,000 is .....
Well, first thought to me, a 2010 Ducati 1198 and a 2010 ZX-10R.
As I am sure majority here would feel the same. The best of both worlds for years to come. Power, speed, elegance, bliss, style, need, prestige, design, and contentment will all have been met.

But then again, to each their own.

·
Registered
777 Posts
covering it in leather and chrome is not my thing. To each their own but don't ask me to like it.
I say the same thing when I see a full on motogp sticker replica. 400 stickers, more than half of which are for parts that aren't on it and it's never seen a racetrack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts