Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got chris's bike to my house to work on it. well he ground threw his clutch cover on his 996 super hawk well the water pump is housed on this so had to remove it. {fluid drained} well i had to go get some more anti freeze.
Before i go on. i just put engine ice in my zx-10r.... i have been somewhat unsatisfied with this product.
Back to the topic. So i go to autozone and tell them i need green antifreeze. i dont care what type just need some. He then tells me "Well i would use the texico anti freeze. All the high proformance motors recomend this fluid for its cooling ability" I thought Bullshit! but ok it's $5 more. so i bought it. came home finished the job. well After my gasket sealer dried the next day i wanted to make sure there were no leaks. so i started it and figured i would run the bike up to operating temp to make the gaskets expand.... 5 min later needle didnt move.... I thought the needle was broke so broke out the multi meter and nooo its working. so i continue to let her run... neddle budged.. so now im wouldering about engine ice $40 vs $11 texico antifreez.. so i start the ten. {yea my neibors hate me} well in about ten min's the zx had to be shut down the fans were on. however the superhawk just sat there running. needle had budged a bit more... so now im stumped! well chris showed up and got his bike. he rode off and wasnt seen online for about 2 days so i called him. "hey chris you ok. " "Yea i have been out riding like a mad man" Me "Good hey what can you tell me about the temp gaudge on your dash..?" chris" well i dont know what you put in it but it hasnt ever climbed half way even in traffic"..... Maybe the autozone guy knew something here..... may be dumping the engine ice real soon.....

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I just might have to do that this weekend. My temps don't get over 215 in traffic but I don't even like seeing it get over 200. I've been told that between 200-215 is normal for a sport bike, but I don't like it.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
sczx10r said:
well in about ten min's the zx had to be shut down the fans were on.
you may need to re-burp the 10. Mine gets pretty damn hot in traffic after being run, but just sitting at idle after a cold start it doesn't usually get hot enough to kick the fans on.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
?? i usually don't sit around long in traffic if i do, but the 10R does heat up very very quickly as soon as you stop moving and i mean i noticed the engine ice helped, but would like to know about the texaco move and i'll put that in the roush with the raidator swap

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
miykl said:
you may need to re-burp the 10. Mine gets pretty damn hot in traffic after being run, but just sitting at idle after a cold start it doesn't usually get hot enough to kick the fans on.
:+1:
...and not sure how to put this, but the superhawk engine isn't in the same state of tune as 10 engines are. More horsepower means more heat. And our bikes are making around 3 hp per cubic inch totally stock compared to less than 2 for the superhawk.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
phastone said:
:+1:
...and not sure how to put this, but the superhawk engine isn't in the same state of tune as 10 engines are. More horsepower means more heat. And our bikes are making around 3 hp per cubic inch totally stock compared to less than 2 for the superhawk.
excellent point.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Don't forget, you can use Engine Ice on the track...the Green stuff prolly not....

I've run Engine Ice in my bike for 15,000 miles now and haven't noticed any significant difference in running temperatures...

Except the guy who put it in didn't burp the system and at the track, at 100 degrees, there was no fluid in the tank....

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 how do i burp her?
2 yea i know about the track and the green stuff is a no no. however i have also noticed here latly as i have been doing track days that engine ice is not being accepted either...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I tried engine ice, water wetter, installed aftermarket muzzy fan, installed fan switch...still the temps climb hard. So, I already decided I am going back to antifreeze since the others have made no diff and it's cheaper anyway.....so yeah...will give it a try here soon since I will be draining the water wetter anyway. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
burp the system by opening the radiator cap and runing the bike when its warm, air rises to the top so you may have a few bubbles clogging the system

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
burp the system by opening the radiator cap and runing the bike when its warm, air rises to the top so you may have a few bubbles clogging the system

plus, I will even tap on radiator hoses at the same time to help the air pockets escape.....

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok cool. well i have about 1/2 a bottle of this stuff left. so i still have the bottle. uhhh i woulder if it has a part number...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Tap on them? I squeeze them. I also rev it up to get the water pump to move the coolant faster.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts