Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellas,

So here is the scoop.

Last night I rode downtown - (St. Louis) to watch some fireworks. And of course any big city driving downtown is stop and go so I knew my bike would get hot...its a given.

I saw temps up to 215...which sitting in traffic i figured it would get so hot,

As I'm sitting there I start smelling coolant, and at first i didn't pay any attention to it because i figured if it was me, id notice temp changes in the bike...

well come to find it was me, i was leaking coolant right where the oil drain plug is from the res overflow tube is, not sure if it was leaking out of there but by the looks of the marks it was coming out of there and getting all over.

Now, I thought to my self, man if i had a leak it would be a lot more than this, it was about a "cup" full(measuring cup size).

I checked my resevor and it was at the full mark, which didn't make sense to me.

I pull over let the bike cool down, check the tank again and it looked fine, when i switch the bike on started it up, it sucked that resevor dry.

So i pulled into a gas station and bought some coolant and filled up the resevor so it had some.

At this point I'm trying to head home so i don't have to leave my bike down town. After I fill up the resevor, it starts leaking again...(this was about 10 min later) and once again i was sitting in traffic.

My question is, at a certain temp does the bike push out some of the coolant because there is to much in there?

Is what I described normal?

I usually don't have my bike in those kind of temps so I wasn't sure if it was ok or not.

I checked all my hoses today and they are all fine. I ended up pulling the radiator off because it is bent. I inspected there are no cracks on it or any spots where it may have been leaking(I'm looking to replace it if anyone has an extra)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
474 Posts
No that is not normal. You said it was leaking by the oil drain plug. I assume you already took the lower fairings off. Make sure you clean the area around were you're searching for a leak. The water pump is close to the oil drain plug, so check it out first. With the fairings off and the area clean, start the bike and wait till it gets hot. Start checking around for your leak. Shouldn't be that hard to find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, let me restate...

it was draining by the oil drain plug where the coolant resevor overflow tube is

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Maybe a cracked hose since its coming from there or check the drain plug on the water pump and make sure thats tight! Probably not a big deal, just a leak somewhere. +1 to what Daves cycles said!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where is the waterpump drain plug located at?

also what kind of coolant should I use.

I pulled off the radiator so I drained all the coolant that was in the radiator..im sure there may be some in the block still.

I just find it odd that it didn't leak all of the coolant out, and when i refilled it, i was driving around for a bit longer than it leaked again at high temps...

i guess it shouldn't ever do that....

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have the radiator pressure tested before putting it back on IF you're gonna have the bike down for a couple days till you find the main source of the leak?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have the radiator pressure tested before putting it back on IF you're gonna have the bike down for a couple days till you find the main source of the leak?
:+1:

I am getting ready to replace the thermostat but at that time I am also going to do a complete pressure check of the system.

You can rent a pressure test kit at AutoZone....with this tester you can see where the leaks are around 20lbs of pressure especially the Weep Hole under the Water Pump by the Oil Drain plug(hint hint).

I am also going to try out at the same time Harbor Frieghts Pressure Tester. It lists for $79.99 on sale for $59.99 and add a 20% discount coupon got it for $52 OTD. I don't know if it has the right adapters yet but will update if anyone is interested with my findings.

bloo

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you overheat, the coolant will boil out of the radiator and overflow the reservoir tank. When the engine cools the steam in the radiator condenses and it'll pull coolant back out of the reservoir. Could be you're overheating (probably due to a stuck thermostat or your fan not coming on) or the radiator cap is out of spec.

BTW, when you fill the coolant tank, don't use 100% antifreeze. It doesn't cool as well as 50/50 and it can foam in the radiator and cause overheating. Dilute antifreeze with equal parts of distilled water. Tap water is OK in a pinch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys I am going to check the water pump, I doubt I have any serious leaks.

The reservoir had always been at the F mark. This is what I concluded happend. Since I was in stop and go, the bike got hot 200+ degrees it was about 80-85 that night so stop and go it easily rose that high.

since it was so hot the cap did what it was suppose to and let coolan back down in the tank, but since the tank was already full it topped it off and started leaking again.

now, the reason it leaked again, when it leaked the first time, i topped off the reservoir again to the full mark...simply because i thought if it is going to leak i want as much in there as i can to make a trip to the next gas station.

well same thing happened, 10-15 minutes goes by, sitting in traffic again, bike heats up, cap does what it is suppose to do and drains into the reservoir, which is at the full mark so it didn't have much to fill up before it overflowed.

this is the onlything i can think of because where the over flow tube is at, is where i saw all the collant sprayed all over.

what do you guys suggest for coolant? I had a guy mention water and some additive.
but i'm not gonna be racing at a track so i can probably use coolant ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would look into changing the thermostat. Make sure your fan is kicking on too. My ZX10R's fan comes on around 208. I don't like it getting even that hot, so I wired in a relay and an over ride switch, kind of like the kit they sell in the magazines for $80, but mine cost less than $8.

As far as coolant goes, yes, don't run 100%, it doesn't cool as well and will foam and gel at high temps. I run "Engine Ice". It's a little pricey compared to antifreeze, but it's thinner, cools better, uses deionized water and is good to -26 degrees. You can also run it at the track.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i bought some engine ice.

it seems to be running fine...

i really think that stop n go crap made it over heat

and i watched my fan today, it came on around 200-205. so i dunno it must of just got TOO full.

I need another bottle of engine ice to fill up the overflow tank. but it seems to be running fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts