Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... My Gen III (2010) is having weird issues.
injectors cleaned and serviced this week. All working well.
replaced the sock filter/tea bag filter on the bottom of the pump this week
replaced voltage regulator this week
replaced the pump.

I have been having problems with this for a while. At the time I changed the teabag and had the injectors done the little beast would rev to 12,000 rpm. Now it stopped revving past 7500rpm. Well it will get to 8500rpm but slowly. My thought is with fuel flow.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

My gut is that the little metal filter in the top of the fuel pump/filter component is blocked but not completely and allowing some fuel through. I could be wrong.

Thanks for help in advance.

·
Registered
391 Posts
in the last few months, i had a 14 10r and a 16 14r they share the same fuel pump assembley from kaw. both had 2 different aftermarket pumps installed. they lasted anywhere from a week to five minutes before bogging out as before. replacing both with used clean used oem pumps fixed.used oem pump a gamble, but both running strong no more 35mm fuel pumps aftermarket for me.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yes as Gaz said most after market pumps are crap!!!! There are many, aside from OE the best pump motor i have ever used is MSR. There are many threads on this forum regarding ongoing fuel pump issues, normally involving after market shit!
It is possible the pump unit hasn't been assembled correctly, possibly damaging any 1 of the O rings meaning the fuel system doesn't reach fuel pressure, the metal gauze filter is very unlikely to be the problem, it normally only suffers from rusting issues if its been sat idle for a long long time with water in the system. The gauze is easy to wash out.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I've posted this a few times... probably because EVERY SINGLE BIKE WITH AN INTEGRATED HIGH PRESSURE FILTER HAS THIS PROBLEM AT SOME POINT. I do a half dozen different bikes a year in the shop with this problem:

There are two fuel filters in the stock assembly. One is the low pressure, pre-pump filter... everyone calls this the "sock" you can replace these (as you have). The second filter is a much more fine, POST-pump high-pressure filter. This is built into the housing, and is not serviceable. It WILL clog up over time and must be replaced. This means replacing the housing, or creating your own housing with a serviceable filter. That's pretty much it. Sometimes you can solvent wash/backflush the assembly, but that is usually a band-aid that doesn't last very long. Replacing the pump with a stronger one can push past it a little bit, but the pump is BEFORE the filter, so it usually won't fix the problem for very long, if at all.

If you want to 100% verify that this is your problem, put a fuel pressure gauge between the pump outlet and the fuel rail, and then observe your fuel pressure under load. If it drops below 40psi, you have this problem. :)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
...also another way to verify: if you have the assembly apart and you don't mind a little fuel on your lips, you can blow through the plastic assembly. Take everything off the plastic body (leave the regulator in), find a way to seal a hose where the pump outlet meets the housing (or just use your lips if you're a filthy heathen like myself), and blow as hard as you can. You should have minimal resistance... if you can't breath out a full lung of air in a second or two, it's f*'ed up. Make sure you point the outlet of the body away from anything that you don't want fuel all over too... eyes, pets, girlfriends, fine art, etc.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Wood Circle Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

Eye White Jaw Art Personal protective equipment

Jaw Fluid Automotive exterior Gas Rectangle

Automotive lighting Asphalt Bumper Road surface Wood

Body jewelry Wood Font Auto part Metal

SpazOnaZX is on it, these pictures show you a gauze filter after I cleaned it. I don't recommend you cut the top off like I did, I removed this one altogether and soldered the top back on. If you want to try cleaning it, remove the top part of the pump housing the filter, lay it on its back and poor in brake fluid or carb cleaner until it is full with all air bubbles out. Leave it for 30 minutes or so and poor the fluid back out the way it would enter if assembled and working, then get a high pressure are line into the other side so your again blowing backwards against how it would flow when working and blast it out until its dry. You can judge from the removed fluid and debris if it was gunned up or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heeded your advice... I have ordered a new pump assembly and purchased a second hand assembly while I wait. Took the second hand assembly out for a run, be it a quick run, and all seems improved. I will know for sure this weekend...

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK... My Gen III (2010) is having weird issues.
injectors cleaned and serviced this week. All working well.
replaced the sock filter/tea bag filter on the bottom of the pump this week
replaced voltage regulator this week
replaced the pump.

I have been having problems with this for a while. At the time I changed the teabag and had the injectors done the little beast would rev to 12,000 rpm. Now it stopped revving past 7500rpm. Well it will get to 8500rpm but slowly. My thought is with fuel flow.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

My gut is that the little metal filter in the top of the fuel pump/filter component is blocked but not completely and allowing some fuel through. I could be wrong.

Thanks for help in advance.
i have 09zx10r the same problems bag out at 8000 rpm , i have check the gas pump and find cracks between the pump and the top assemble because i am in jamaica pump hard to come by, but expoy the crack and the bike rev out 13,000 rpm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts