Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fitted up a Taylormade can to my bike and what do you know, no bung for the O2 sensor... can anyone tell me how to make a sensor eliminator? OR are they commercially available?

Had a search but could not find anything specific!

Thanks!

:screwy: unsane

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it in another thread and got some more info via PM

2 white heater wires bridged with a 10 ohm resistor
Black and gray wires (ground and signal) joined.

From what i can gather, This gives PCM a load to check on startup and an constant neutral sensor reading.

O2 sensor eliminated

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank you, appreciate it :thumbsup:
Did you notice any difference now that the sensor is no longer in the loop?
And do I understand it right - an 02 sensor is only necessary with an aftermarket pipe if you fit a Bazzaz or PC, otherwose it's not needed?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That all depends...

An oxygen sensor works in closed loop whilst the engine is under cruise situations - contant RPM with minimal load - and it will continually sample & adjust the fuel mixture so as to achieve the best fuel economy. On a diagnostic scope the signal continually goes up and down as the fuel mixture is metered.

Without the O2 sensor in place, I imagine the bike will not be getting the best fuel economy possible but somehow I don't think the ZX10R was designed to be a miserly commuter bike... if ya know what I mean :headshake

I had to ride the bike home after fitting the exhaust and under cruise it was crap until you got onto the gas and the ECU then reverted back to its normal fuel/ignition maps... it actually sounded like a cranky ported rotary and was kinda funky but the throttle response off cruise was terrible.

After fitting the resistor to the heater wires and pairing up the sensor & earth wires, it cruises just fine now and response has been restored.

I've noticed the PowerCommander website says "European models require O2 optimizer for closed loop control" (AU is the same as EU) so its possible that models for other markets (US?) don't even have an O2 sensor in place and thats why the US manufactured Taylormade system does not have a fitting for one.

If you can keep it in place I would say leave it - but if you just bought an exhaust like me and need to do something with an O2 sensor hanging in the breeze then I say eliminate it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Found it in another thread and got some more info via PM

2 white heater wires bridged with a 10 ohm resistor
Black and gray wires (ground and signal) joined.

From what i can gather, This gives PCM a load to check on startup and an constant neutral sensor reading.

O2 sensor eliminated
Good to know.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Taylormade exhaust

I had a Taylormade exhaust on my previous 08 CBR1000 and it actually lost horsepower!:headshake It had an unusual dip in midrange and was God awful loud at street speed.. I was not impressed. It did look very cool though!

Speedy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was your CBR tuned?

Just looking at the numbers in the PCV download Taylormade map, there are some big spikes and dips in the fuelling... looking fwd to some dyno time! It certainly doesn't feel like there is any loss in performance - rather the opposite! Yep its loud but I'm used to it now and I kinda like it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts