Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I ride my 04 ZX-10R for a long period of time it makes a tapping noise and its coming from the engine. It doesnt make this noise all the time, just when I ride for a long time. I thought it was a tappet or something but it kinda sounds like the timing chain. Anyone ever hear of this problem??????

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ok, fella. Tons of past threads about this one too.

Here is the first thing to try for the quickest simplest fix. Find a steep grade. After the bike is all warmed up approach the steep grade in 5th gear and chop the engine. Stop, pull the clutch in and roll it backwards. Slowly release the lever a few times, and you have now just readjusted your cam chain tensioner.

Or you can remove the cam chain tensioner and manually tighten it up with the flick of a screwdriver.

The factory tensioners sometimes wear out or break with a short lifespan. There are aftermarket ones that are simple to adjust and work great.

Hope this helps. You might try doing a search on here for past threads about this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok, fella. Tons of past threads about this one too.

Here is the first thing to try for the quickest simplest fix. Find a steep grade. After the bike is all warmed up approach the steep grade in 5th gear and chop the engine. Stop, pull the clutch in and roll it backwards. Slowly release the lever a few times, and you have now just readjusted your cam chain tensioner.

Or you can remove the cam chain tensioner and manually tighten it up with the flick of a screwdriver.

The factory tensioners sometimes wear out or break with a short lifespan. There are aftermarket ones that are simple to adjust and work great.

Hope this helps. You might try doing a search on here for past threads about this.
Hey Gang green, as the rollback trick hasn't worked this time on my bike (it did before though), I've been thinking about removing the tensioner and adjusting it one click. What I'd like to know is, do I have to take the cover off the side of the motor and turn it over a couple of times to reset it or is it okay to just undo the cap to relieve the spring tension, then undo the mounting and push the plunger out click and bolt it all back up again - job done?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts