Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can down shifting hurt your shift forks?
LOL i meant to say tranny

·
Registered
819 Posts
Down shifting? How? Like slamming through them without the clutch in? I guess I am somewhat lost?

To be a smart ash, yes it will hurt it. Once you have shifted to 6th gear you midas well sell it because its over. :thumbsup:

But seriously its fine. Pull the clutch in and push down on the lever or up on it depending on how you have your lever setup.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
down shifting at the dragstrip from 130+mph, i wasnt using rear brakes i was down shifting to slow the bike down, i was pulling the clutch in when shifting down.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
down shifting at the dragstrip from 130+mph, i wasnt using rear brakes i was down shifting to slow the bike down, i was pulling the clutch in when shifting down.
If you were just downshifting to slow the bike down and used the clutch then you should be fine, the 10's have a pretty damn good slipper clutch just for that very reason, and so the rear doesn't lock up in the process either of course.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were just downshifting to slow the bike down and used the clutch then you should be fine, the 10's have a pretty damn good slipper clutch just for that very reason, and so the rear doesn't lock up in the process either of course.
I just put a new shift fork in tranny but now its jumping again in 2nd gear, the only thing i done sense the new shift fork was downshifting when racing, looks like i will be pulling the motor again DAMN.
Im going to check the shift drum when i open it up again

·
Registered
819 Posts
Have you put in upgraded shift shafts yet? Its cheap insurance. Its likely they are bent and this is what is causing the issue. I think brock sells them. They will deflect and then come back tp strait whereas the stock ones will deflect and stay. I know you drag your bike alot as well. Have you investing into a good cut trans as well? The shift forks in the 10 are pretty good stock its the shafts that tend to become the issue

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you put in upgraded shift shafts yet? Its cheap insurance. Its likely they are bent and this is what is causing the issue. I think brock sells them. They will deflect and then come back tp strait whereas the stock ones will deflect and stay. I know you drag your bike alot as well. Have you investing into a good cut trans as well? The shift forks in the 10 are pretty good stock its the shafts that tend to become the issue
I did replace the top shift shaft when i replace the shift fork, when i open it back up im going to get the tranny back cut, and i think im going to replace the shift-drum to be on the safe side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts