Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R&G seem to sell all these items to protect against damage....but has anyone ever come off with tank or fork sliders and managed to save their ride? Or is it designed for a small drop in the garage?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
IMO, fork sliders are utterly useless. The bottom of the forks will never touch the ground since the front wheel will act as the pivot. If you lay a bike on it's side, the major contact points are the bar ends, muffler, tank, mirrors, and widest part of the upper fairing. The fork tubes won't be touched.

If you have a highspeed get-off where the bike is tumbling, spinning, and sliding, the fork tubes still won't likely be damaged just from sliding. And there's no way I'd want fork sliders sticking out that could snag on something and yank the wheels and bars to one side. That's a recipe for an airborne bike.

I'm of the opinion that sliders in general are meant for tip-overs, not highspeed slides. Certain ones will help mitigate some damage, but don't be fooled that equipping your ride with protruding plastic all over it is going to be effective. Stick to case savers on the engine and maybe some tank or bar sliders. And don't drop your ride.

·
Registered
818 Posts
R&G frame sliders have saved my bikes in the past from careless car park drops to a track day lowside. Damage was so minimal that when I sent photos to R&G they sent me new sliders free of charge! An exhaust protecter is worth while, as are engine case sliders and rear cotton reels. Never had my tank or fork ends damaged :smile2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh. Crash bungs are life savers...it's the fork and tank protectors I was thinking of. Probably get just the tanks along with frame sliders...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
IMO, fork sliders are utterly useless. The bottom of the forks will never touch the ground since the front wheel will act as the pivot. If you lay a bike on it's side, the major contact points are the bar ends, muffler, tank, mirrors, and widest part of the upper fairing. The fork tubes won't be touched.

If you have a highspeed get-off where the bike is tumbling, spinning, and sliding, the fork tubes still won't likely be damaged just from sliding. And there's no way I'd want fork sliders sticking out that could snag on something and yank the wheels and bars to one side. That's a recipe for an airborne bike.

I'm of the opinion that sliders in general are meant for tip-overs, not highspeed slides. Certain ones will help mitigate some damage, but don't be fooled that equipping your ride with protruding plastic all over it is going to be effective. Stick to case savers on the engine and maybe some tank or bar sliders. And don't drop your ride.
No all the correct. Scraped my fork bottoms. Put fork sliders on to cover damage.

Reactions: Mantis_Tech

·
Chairman of the Board
16,067 Posts
I use fork, frame and bar end sliders. They have helped in my last four crashes but especially a low side in the rain. Probably an inch and a half ground off the fork and bar end and at least two off the frame slider. Only damage other than that was to one of the spools. I think results can vary depending on the crash but I think in general they do what they are supposed to.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I want tank sliders. Tanks are so easy to damage on a gen4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts