Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !
I want to try to install an used steering damper of most modern bikes on my Zx10r 1st Gen.

I need to know the tank distance holes to search if newer version ('06, '08, '12) is compatible with my bike.

I apreciate if some users give me this distance of their bikes.

I see some posts here, about to install a steering damper from a '08 on a '04, but lowering the triple clamp and I'm not interested on do this.

Thanks in advance.

Yui

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've looked into this already. The tank holes may be the same on the 1st and 2nd Gens but the problem you're going to run into particularly if you plan on using the OEM Ohlins damper that came on the second Gen and retrofitting it to the 1st Gen, is that the top tripple clamps are not the same. You will have to put a Gen 2 tripple on the Gen one. I found it was cheaper and less hassle just to buy a decent used Scotts or Hypertech damper made to fit your Gen. By the time you buy a used Gen 2 Ohlins damper with mounting hardware, then the Gen 2 top tripple and change it, you'll spend the same or more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somatic Healer thanks for your information I'm agree with you about is less complicated buy a specific damper for Gen1. But Ohlins dampers are expensive even used, and I do not found any Hyperpro and Gpr used on ebay o similar.
An upper triple from Gen2 costs around 80$ and one used oem ohlins damper 180$. I think that another problem can be the clip-ons, because on some photos I was see the attaching holes are in opposite side between Gen1 and 2, but I'm using and aftermarket clip-ons and do not need to use this holes now.
My doubt is now the distance of the fork bars on a Gen2 upper triple...

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The holes lined up, but can't be bolted up to a stock upper tree, so I tried putting a 2nd gen upper and forks were off by a couple of mm, I decided not to force it and put 1st gen uppper back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts