Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am taking the 10 to the track this Friday. I have front end strps that I am going to use for the first time. My bike is at stock height ( front and rear ). I did not drop it yet with my Muzzy Rear links b/c I am thinking about using adjustables for the rear. Will it be ok to just strap the front end while leaving the rear at stock height? Should I take it as low as I can go with the strap? Also what will I be able to launch at once strapped and how much fast can I release the clutch to go WOT once the front is strapped? I am on SWB

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You will want to air down your rear tire for sure. The powers hook well, but they are not consistent. Just use the strap to lower the bike in the front. Try not to crank down on it too much or you have a good chance at blowing the fork seals (I did). Try launching around 5k-6k rpm until you get the feel for it. You will have to play with the clutch until you get the feel for it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be easier if you lowered the rear too!! and its easy to put the rear links too just use a jack and put it under the shock!!
I never replaced a rear shock or did any work back there like messing with the links, but a shop told me you have to take the tail apart and the lowers the lift the rear up with something like a engine hoist then put a jack under it. Is ALL that bullshit? b/c I wasn't sure. They said 2 hrs and I was like nah. Thats why I haven't installed the Muzzys. Plus I thought if that's true if I ever want to go from 1 1/4" drop to the next drop ( 2" ) I will have to do all that crap.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will want to air down your rear tire for sure. The powers hook well, but they are not consistent. Just use the strap to lower the bike in the front. Try not to crank down on it too much or you have a good chance at blowing the fork seals (I did). Try launching around 5k-6k rpm until you get the feel for it. You will have to play with the clutch until you get the feel for it.
How low in tire pressure should I go ?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Start at 28-30 psi, but no lower than 18-20 psi considering the power has a different carcass and may break the bead or slide around at the big end.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so PP's aren't so hot for the track ah?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Out of the other tires I have used, they hooked the best. They just take a long burnout to get the carcass hot enough to be sticky. Far and away the best tire is the shinko u-soft. I have 2 seasons on my 180 and its nowhere near dead. Not bad on the street either.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well once a get a extra wheel rim I can get a shinky or something on the back just for the track

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long of a burnout should be plenty on the PP's?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much does it really help to remove the seat? I've heard people talk about it and even talked about removing what padding it has. Curious if it makes that much of a difference.

Also am I stil considered some what SWB if I went two tigg marks back on the wheel location due to regearing and getting another chain? It stretched some so I might be able to take it back another 1/2 to full tig mark leaving me with the rear wheel pretty much all the way back

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
How long of a burnout should be plenty on the PP's?
Get it good and smokey. Try and heat the whole tire, not just the center, by leaning the bike back and forth while doing your burnout. Like this:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the Vid Killa. I will have to check it out when I get home :lol:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
its not hard at all to lower the back, like he said get a jack put it under shock, if you look you will not have to tqke your back apart or any of that jazz, i think there is a how to around here somewhere of how to do it,

another thing if you are gonna lower the back take the time and lower the front as well, not just with a strap, use the strap at the track to get you lower but lower the front as same as your back so that your handeling will not change, just ground clearance

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how long does it take to lower the back? I got Muzzy's but see the reason why i think i want to sell them is b/c i dont feel like jacking up the rear every time i want to raise/lower it depending on what I'm doing. That's why i think I might go with adjustables that are like $150 ish.

but if I strap the front for the track friday and do not lower the rear/front prior to strapping is it going to cause any issues for me ? If it will I guess I will just rip the Muzzys out and lower it to either 1 1/4" or 2 ". The bike is a daily rider bike as well and thats wahy I figured adjustble lowers for the rear would be a lot better for me

please chime in

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
well i was talking about permanently lowering the bike not just for the track, why not lower it 1 an 1/4 all the way around and leave it, then strap it more for the track?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will the Muzzy links interfear with the lower black farings if droped 1 1/4"; the first hole? I looked at the How-to and from what I seen I should be in and out in a hour with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts