Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so i am trying to install frame sliders and need to take off my fairing. Any tips on how i can do so? i took a shot at it but so many F ing bolts and clip on's. i didn't wanna risk breaking the dam thing so i thought id ask :) . Pics would be amazing if possible. Thanks - Neil Ps how do i take off the clip onns?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I can't remember most of the detail.

Start with the lowers... They are held on with two (I think) push pin plastic clips down the bottom front. The lowers fairings are joined in two locations underneath, with one bolt (I think) each. Undo them and pull the clips. Undo the three side screws holding the lowers to the mids and the ones by the footpegs andthey should slide forwards (I think). Can't remember if there were any clips or screws holding anything in the front.

For the mids... Remove the two black panels by the handlebars. They have a screw and some grommets holding them on. Once they are off, disconnect the indicators. On this panel, there were some screws or push clips which you need to undo front inside the front wheel/radiator bay. Once they are done, undo the screws on the side and they should come off...

PS: This is all from memory from ages ago. There may be a few extra tricks I haven't thought of...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Yeah, it's not that hard to do. Just follow Nutter's suggestions above and go slow. Do NOT force anything. If you have to force plastic to come apart, you're doing it wrong. So take your time and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Dont forget the bolts on the inside of the mid/lowers where the nose cowl connects to the side fairings like nutter said. Its inside next to the front fender. Think each side has like two bolts and like two or three, what do you call those things, plastic rivets. The way the sides detatch from the front/nose is a little sketchy too, just be easy with it. Just go slow, it aint nuthin but a bunch of bolts and plastic rivets and they are all pretty easy to locate.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Get the service manual from here. its just good to have a reference. I just r&r'ed my Gen 2 fairings for the first time for sliders last month.

The "Kawasaki Quick Rivets" aka push pins are easy. Take 2 or 3mm allen wrench or other small round blunt item and push the center pin down or into the rivet. This releases the rivet, and allows the flared parts to come back together. Then gently grab the head, a pocket knife may help lift it to get a finger under it, and pull it out. They are reusable. Just push the pin up until it sticks out of the rivet, install and push the pin flush again. May want to google it also.

Get a 4 mm allen wrench, a t handle works good for the bolts.

At the bottom there are two other bigger/flat headed push pins. They also remove and can be reinstalled. I'd have to look to explain it right now.

I did not disconnect the light wiring when I pulled the fairings, but it is not a bad idea. I just let them rest against the bike in place.

Not too bad, takes less than 30 mins each way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts