Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day

Wondering if any would know whats wrong with my tach.
What happens is that when I turn my key, the RPM should blink 3 times but mine does not light up at all.

This bike was bought brand new and it was normal until one day my mate turned the key on and noticed it did not blink 3 times as usual.

This happened after I replace the ESD with ohlins aftermarket manual. The connector is left under the tank so the ESD light is on but I don't mind that.
Thing is the abnormal tacho did not happen right after removing stock ESD. It happened days after that so I am not sure if removing the ESD is related..

Apart from tach no flashing 3 times, bike operates and runs normal

Any tip would help

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Good day

Wondering if any would know whats wrong with my tach.
What happens is that when I turn my key, the RPM should blink 3 times but mine does not light up at all.

This bike was bought brand new and it was normal until one day my mate turned the key on and noticed it did not blink 3 times as usual.

This happened after I replace the ESD with ohlins aftermarket manual. The connector is left under the tank so the ESD light is on but I don't mind that.
Thing is the abnormal tacho did not happen right after removing stock ESD. It happened days after that so I am not sure if removing the ESD is related..

Apart from tach no flashing 3 times, bike operates and runs normal

Any tip would help

Cheers!
Glad I got the five year warranty. Sorting out that electronic stuff is a pain. Probably does have to do with your removal of ESD, isn't there a way to keep the plug portion so the ECU is fooled into thinking all is well?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
The flashing operation is part of the self-test feature for the instrument cluster. If it's not doing the self-test (power on = all LCD segments and LED tach segments to light up) once the ignition is turned on, then the cluster is bad.

Unless, of course, you're turning the key on and then immediately starting the bike. You have to turn on the ignition and let it complete the test before hitting the starter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never started the bike immediately. Always wait for the 3 flashes and now it doesn't flash (I still wait for the same amount of time before I start the bike)

I cant find anything related to this.. Is there a way to troubleshoot it?

It is very annoying that the cluster doesn't work as like it used to (when I did nothing to it more than installing manual damper). And knowing that it is self-test feature that I am missing out on for no good reason, its even more annoying :(

Anyone with the experience on this??

Cheers

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts

It is very annoying that the cluster doesn't work as like it used to (when I did nothing to it more than installing manual damper). And knowing that it is self-test feature that I am missing out on for no good reason, its even more annoying :(

Cheers
The self-test is internal to the cluster. There's nothing to troubleshoot unless you want to get inside it and start checking components on the circuit board.

Meter Operation Inspection
Check 1-1: Switching Inspection •Turn the ignition switch to ON and check the following.
○The all LCD segments [A] appear for 3 seconds.
○The warning indicator light (Red LED) goes on for 3
seconds and then goes off in a moment after that goes
off.
○The warning indicator light (Yellow LED) [C] goes on for
3 seconds.
○The fuel level (ZX1000J models) or ABS (ZX1000K models)
warning indicator light (LED) [D] goes on.
○The tachometer (LED) [E] blinks 3 times.
If the meter does not work, replace the meter unit. •Refer to the Meter Unit Inspection for other indicator lights
(LED) inspection.
•By pushing the upper button [A] each time, check that the
display changes as follows.
○This display is ordinary indication.
•By pushing the lower button each time, check that the display
changes water temperature [A] and intake air temperature
If the meter does not work, replace the meter unit.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Many of other gen4 gen5 guys here do throw the ESD away and have the manual one on. None of them have my issue -____-
Only if they've kept the servo from the ESD plugged in. Process of elimination, what did you do last before you had this problem. If it doesn't go back to normal with it plugged in then you get to keep looking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so tried plugging the ESD back in and it cured the issue... the 3 blinks came back when key on...
so now I'm doing the ESD servo removal to stick it with the plug and tuck under the tank so I can have a normal cluster

strange that many guys do not have the servo under the tank and no other aftermarket ones as well but do not have my cluster issue

thanks all for the tips!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
so tried plugging the ESD back in and it cured the issue... the 3 blinks came back when key on...
so now I'm doing the ESD servo removal to stick it with the plug and tuck under the tank so I can have a normal cluster

strange that many guys do not have the servo under the tank and no other aftermarket ones as well but do not have my cluster issue

thanks all for the tips!
I haven't heard of anyone successfully completely removing the ESD and not having any issues unless using the Kit ECU.

You're welcome ;)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
Nice. Glad you got it fixed.

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
I never started the bike immediately. Always wait for the 3 flashes and now it doesn't flash (I still wait for the same amount of time before I start the bike)

Cheers
I start immediately. But no worries about whatever procedure you select. Bike won't care.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts