Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what color wire carries the tach signal at the point the harness plugs into the guage panel on an "05 ZX10???? Need to hook up a Dyna shift light.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Can anyone tell me what color wire carries the tach signal at the point the harness plugs into the guage panel on an "05 ZX10???? Need to hook up a Dyna shift light.
You won't find one. The coil is on the plug, so you need to tap one wire per coil and route them together IIRC. It's not a fun process to say the least.

You'll have to pull the tank, airbox and be very good at soldering in very tight places. Dyna is pretty good with tech support if you call them up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't find one. The coil is on the plug, so you need to tap one wire per coil and route them together IIRC. It's not a fun process to say the least.

You'll have to pull the tank, airbox and be very good at soldering in very tight places. Dyna is pretty good with tech support if you call them up.

I downloaded the Dyna instructions on the shift minder. It says you can use the tach signal instead of tying into the coils. The 05' manual does show a tach signal terminal at the guages but when i tapped into the wire, the shift minder wouldn't flash at the preset RPM. Not sure why.

May have to follow your advice and hook into the coils. The plus is, i ran wires from the coils to the MPS kill box for my air shifter and can access them without taking the tank and air box off. The draw back is, i seem to recall that some kind of adapter(diode?) needs to be inline to the shifter minder from the coils.

Hit me back on this with your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, i'm using the DYNA DSM-2H which is the reason i'm trying to tap into the tach signal and not the coil packs. The DSM-4H is designed for that apllication.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
There is a tach signal. (It isn't one of the ignition coil signals ... it is a separate wire expressly for the purpose of operating the tachometer.) It is pin 7 on the back of the cluster - 7th from left (2nd from right) in the top row. The top of the connector is the side that has the two alignment grooves in it. Page 16-72 of the shop manual suggests that the signal is a plain ordinary once-per-revolution 12-volt pulse.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
When I hooked mine up the the tach signal, as instructed, it operated at 50% of the set RPM. For example, set it to 10k, the light would come on at 5k.

Give it a shot and see if it works with the tach signal, if not, you will have to go the route that I explained.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Are there settings on the shift light for number of pulses per rev?

You can't just connect two of the coil signals together. The coils have a common +12V on one side, and the ecu grounds the other side to create spark, so you don't have a 12V pulse like you want. However, with a pair of diodes and a resistor you can create the pulse like you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts