Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone who has these shed some light on how they are attached ? . it looks like they go into the holes for the engine mounting bolt , but that has a allen head on one side and nut on the other so what holds them in ?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have some on my 08, they replace the long top engine bolt and have brackets that fit into the frame holes, then the new long engine bolt clamps them down together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks ,it looked like something like that was needed but , i did nt see that part offered in the add on the site in ebay . did you get that part with the purchase ? the set is going for 59 bucks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am local to them, so I went into their shop and picked up mine for $40. Everything needed was in the kit, they are no cut. They look good, are easy to install, and cheap, but I don't know how well they will hold up in a get off. I will try to get some better pics this afternoon to show you what I mean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ,i think for the street if you hit an oil slick[god forbid ]and did a low side they would probably pay for themselves ,by saving damage to expensive assorted parts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
ok, here is what they look like on the bike. I just fear that because they are offset with no forward bracing they might get ripped off.

Attachments

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I have a pair on my 07, seem good enough. Sliders are a touchy subject-they CAN save you plastic and cover rash and they CAN rip holes in frames and destroy mounting tabs. I wish there was some hard evidence through an in depth study to give users a better idea of which brands can survive different impacts/slides. I'd imagine in low speed slides or drops they help quite a bit, but in hard impact/flipping type crashes they don't fare so well. Others have reported that when bikes slide across pavement they;re fine, but as soon as they hit dirt they dig in and start to cause damage.

I use them for street and track days and so far they've only saved me from a retard drop in my driveway.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The bracket side looks like if it doesn't rip right off, it will rotate up and take off the corner of the upper fairing.

The previous poster is correct... Frame sliders are a very touchy subject, and as far as I'm concerned I only really have faith in them providing some measure of cosmetic protection for the bike should it fall over while parked.

I have the RG frame sliders mounted and you have to drill the center side fairing for it, but they are mounted directly to the engine mounting bolts without a bracket. They look extremely sturdy, but then again, so did the Bay Bridge before the Loma Prieta earthquake :)

I think the greatest advantage of any set of sliders no matter how they are mounted is that they make you "feel" better about protecting your bike :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
good point about the bracket possibly rotating , the long bolt engine mount is actually a good place for the slider to mount as you dont have to worry about the threads being ripped out of the engine block ,that bracket should be as offset short as possible though to give it more strength . better yet if you could mount the slider directly on top

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I got the first set for the Gen 3 from Tom at T-REX, awesome sliders IMO. The pics in their instructions are my bike!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got a set off of ebay for $36. dont really care for them. dont like the way they mount up and the bracket is like .5" steel and heavy as hell. now they are just sitting in the box on my tool box. I ended up using woodcrafts. Got them thru the dealer I used to work for at cost so they werent much more than the trex, and I like them a lot more. just my opinion.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
The Trex are pretty much a Shogun ripoff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
can someone who has these shed some light on how they are attached ? . It looks like they go into the holes for the engine mounting bolt , but that has a allen head on one side and nut on the other so what holds them in ?
what year is your bike?

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i had a set of shoguns and the bolt split down the middle after a 15-20 mph low side, and i had a set of t rex sliders that were perfect after a similar off, i guess it all depends how the dice hit the table.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just installed T-Rex sliders on my 04 ,went on easy and seem pretty solid...They look cool, and hopefuly thats all I need them for is looks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i had a set of shoguns and the bolt split down the middle after a 15-20 mph low side, and i had a set of t rex sliders that were perfect after a similar off, i guess it all depends how the dice hit the table.
This is one of those double edged sword situations... It's nice to have complete personal experience information regarding the performance of frame sliders, but if you DO have alot of frame slider experience that just says something interesting about your riding :)

I have to reiterate... Frame sliders do more to make you feel better about having done something to protect your investment, rather than actually protecting your investment... Wouldn't it be a better idea to spend the money to get full coverage motorcycle insurance with a low deductible? With a clean record, you can get astounding coverage for less than $50 a month, and THAT would be many many times more protection than frame sliders would ever provide.

As for me, I have them on my bike in case it falls off it's kickstand, and it also makes wonderful jackstand locations for suspending the front end while I'm servicing the forks :)

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
This is one of those double edged sword situations... It's nice to have complete personal experience information regarding the performance of frame sliders, but if you DO have alot of frame slider experience that just says something interesting about your riding :)

I have to reiterate... Frame sliders do more to make you feel better about having done something to protect your investment, rather than actually protecting your investment... Wouldn't it be a better idea to spend the money to get full coverage motorcycle insurance with a low deductible? With a clean record, you can get astounding coverage for less than $50 a month, and THAT would be many many times more protection than frame sliders would ever provide.

As for me, I have them on my bike in case it falls off it's kickstand, and it also makes wonderful jackstand locations for suspending the front end while I'm servicing the forks :)
Of course insurance is a necessity for anything of any value in your life (to include your life), but you making an argument that there is no place for frame sliders besides if your bike falls off the kickstand (which says something about your riding ;)) is like saying your going to the hospital every time you get a scratch. Sometimes its easier to just pick the bitch up and continue down the road, and if a set of frame sliders do their job then great, if the damage is too much then thats when insurance becomes useful.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Of course insurance is a necessity for anything of any value in your life (to include your life), but you making an argument that there is no place for frame sliders besides if your bike falls off the kickstand (which says something about your riding ;)) is like saying your going to the hospital every time you get a scratch. Sometimes its easier to just pick the bitch up and continue down the road, and if a set of frame sliders do their job then great, if the damage is too much then thats when insurance becomes useful.
Right on the money. Why raise your rates and pay a deductible, a simple tip in the garage can cost yer ass over 500$. There's a lot of good points here in this thread, for me it comes down to hopefully saving a little money and hard parts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts