Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I hear right, that Syke's bike "runs partly on carburetors"? I can't believe it. Listen at 1:24

To those who might know, what do you make of this?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,623 Posts
:lol: I think you should translate that from British to English. As carburetor is probably just a catch-all term for throttle body in the UK. His bike doesn't run with carburetors.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,623 Posts
I can't find anything about the technical specs on this. I find it a bit hard to believe that it uses carbs that have no way of being computer controlled. Or that they could go that far away from the production version. :dontknow: Interesting comment though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
All of the electronics require the Throttle body and injectors within. There is much more than the fuel tuning done there. I think he was just using a slang term. Not being technical.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Maybe they've tuned the response of the fuel injection to mimic carburation. Not be abrupt or super responsive, like some fuel injection systems can be...

You aren't the only ones wondering about that comment...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
He said not bad for a bike that "apparently" runs on carburetors lol! Apparently being the key word here.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Engine
Frame
Fuel System:- Fuel injection: φ47 mm x 4 (Keihin) with oval sub-throttles, dual injection
Ignition Digital:- Magneti Marelli
Lubrication:- Forced lubrication, wet sump with oil cooler - Elf
Engine Type:- Liquid cooled, 4-stroke In-Line Four
Displacement:- 998 cm³
Bore x Stroke:- 76.0 x 55.0 mm
Valve System:- DOHC, 16 valves
Transmission:- Wet multi-disc, manual 2.294 (39/17)
Transmission:- 6-speed, return
Final Drive:- Sealed chain

Direct from Syke's website:
http://www.tomsykes66.com/thebike.php

I don't think they can switch from electronic FI to carbs because it would vary too much from the homogulatagatedtatortotpotato version of the bike which would render them unfit to race in SBK. I'd have to read into the regs, so that is just an assumption. And assumption I am 90% confident in ;)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There's no doubt that this motor runs on EFI. I was shocked to find those Lectron's without floats and with injectors installed. They are proud of them as well for what they cost. Who knows there may actually be some advantage to them in some situations when you think about the fact that there's no throttle shaft sticking in the middle of the air flow there's something there even if it's small. The over all length added to the port length appears to the shorter as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts