Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got myself a Gen 5 last fall & it feels great to have 2 wheels again.

However, I have the same problem as my gen 4: I'm 6'3 250.

I was able to get a really nice JRi coilover for for $700 back in the day on my Gen 4 and it was amazing. For whatever reason the Gen 5 version is $1450 and I'm simply not willing spend that much. I just need quicker feedback than the OEM spring gives me.

Some questions for the crew:

Is anyone running the RaceTech rear spring on the factory shock?
Are there any considerations for using a harder spring on the factory shock?
Any recommended damping settings when moving up to the harder spring?

Thanks all. Spring coming soon!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the 110 K-Tech spring on stock rear shock. Stock spacer removed, washers added to make rear shock length 309mm plus 7mm of additional length at the frame clevis. This was courtesy of Thermosman himself. I weigh 200lbs without gear. I will be at track next week for first real test. Front height is stock with more preload to spring and reduced damping for quicker response.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
However, I have the same problem as my gen 4: I'm 6'3 250.

What problems are you specifically having? I understand that you weigh 250 lbs and there is a good possibility you need to bump up your spring, but WHY do you think you need to bump it up? What issues are you having with the bike?

There are many variables to need to look at before saying you "just need a spring".

·
Registered
361 Posts
Biggest thing for me was running wide on exit. I also fought the bike with quick transitions. Any dip or bump thru a corner really made steering difficult due to suspension movement. I just got this setup last week and so far I got a chance to head to local twisty road and feel the bike is much quicker to respond thru clip ons and also could hold a line through corner much tighter as well as add more lean angle whenever I needed without running wide.

This was me tho, not sure about the OP. I'm happy thus far with change!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the way you can add too that as you get faster also spreading the cost helps.
Yeah mate totally, its a great setup for the track and the road, its definitely been able to handle everything I can throw at it. (which isnt a great deal to be honest LOL)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts