Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ZX-10R Net,

I saw this question posted on another forum and I figured I would ask it here. I will probably get a lot of crap for this post, but I feel the need to after my disappointment with Kawasaki.

About 3 months ago I picked up a pristine 2014 ZX10R ABS for a little under 9k. It was my upgrade from my '11 CBR600RR. At first I fell in love with the bike. Everything from the color to the butter smooth shifting but now I feel like I am wanting more out of the bike and it wasn't such a huge upgrade. Maybe I just wasn't feeling out the features of the bike to well initially and was just awestruck by the amazing power of it in the higher RPMs. Anyways, I have been feeling as though maybe I should have gotten a Panigale 899 or saved up a little more for a used Panigale 1199.

I'm sure the majority on here will side with Kawi being this is posted on a Kawi forum, but I wanted to see if anyone has switched or maybe own both and why you like one bike over the other excluding the maintenance factor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We all want a mistress. I've had many bikes but never a Ducati. A good friend of mine just got rid of his 1199. At first he was very happy with it . After a while he didn't like the way the power surges . It ate a lot of oil and eventually he Ran it low on oil because he had never imagined it would eat so much in such a small amount of miles. He took it to a shop to have it inspected and it turned out it had problems with the motor. They opened the motor up to find extra parts in the valve train. Most of the work was covered by warranty after a huge fight with Ducati. He ended up getting the bike back in selling it. The bike had about 4000 miles total. This is not something I would want to do.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
g4 is excellent but wear out fast so must have extended warranty if you ride a lot.

You noticed the power range yet it scared you; so too much bike, which is a problem.

If I was you go cross r1 as it's like a twin and better value that the bike you mentioned.

On the other hand, if you don't ride much, then just buy Code's TW II book and learn tips from the master.

However, if you ride a lot and trying to figure out whatever I'd sell your bike and buy a cbr liter as I'm not sure about the g5 holding up to time as of yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, you'd better like your meatballs cooked well done! Other than that, the higher price and the poor reliability the Panigale is pretty sweet. I'd love to have one, but not for daily use.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Hey ZX-10R Net,

I saw this question posted on another forum and I figured I would ask it here. I will probably get a lot of crap for this post, but I feel the need to after my disappointment with Kawasaki.

About 3 months ago I picked up a pristine 2014 ZX10R ABS for a little under 9k. It was my upgrade from my '11 CBR600RR. At first I fell in love with the bike. Everything from the color to the butter smooth shifting but now I feel like I am wanting more out of the bike and it wasn't such a huge upgrade. Maybe I just wasn't feeling out the features of the bike to well initially and was just awestruck by the amazing power of it in the higher RPMs. Anyways, I have been feeling as though maybe I should have gotten a Panigale 899 or saved up a little more for a used Panigale 1199.

I'm sure the majority on here will side with Kawi being this is posted on a Kawi forum, but I wanted to see if anyone has switched or maybe own both and why you like one bike over the other excluding the maintenance factor.

Thanks.
I be up in your forums trollin and baitin :badteeth:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had a Panigale 1199 S for about a year and a half and I cannot wait to get my GEN1 back together. Don't get me wrong, the DUC is a great bike for the track. But I can't afford to wad the thing so the 700 miles I have put on it, have been when it's cool enough in Phoenix to ride it. Riding season is almost here for the DUC! Still in the 80-90's....

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I haven't been here for awhile...but all the Ducati owners I know complain about the heat and the terrible riding position and settings for the street. Ducati is a track bike as far as I am concerned. Secondly, maintenance is high. I have ridden an S1000RR and done 0 to 100 mph with my friend twice and clearly beaten him soundly his BMW to my ZX-10R. Secondly, I have around $10,000+ invested in my Gen 4 abs and a Panigale can't pass me. One of my friends bought an R1M and he can't get the damn throttle to work smoothly...too abrupt and it's been on Attack's dyno twice. My bike makes 185 RWHP and it isn't the highest power, but it is the smoothest from bottom to top and that where you need it most. It is totally comfortable in all riding situations, and it's only the A group riders that are strong that I can't catch...and I'm 71 years old. Now that being said....let's check mods....I am up 2 in the back on the sprocket...change the gearing and it will be a totally different bike. Remove the muffler and replace it with an Akra shorty can with the restricter removed. If you can afford it, buy a fuel controller and get it mapped. All will make a difference. I have over 40,000 miles on my bike and I ride it very hard.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I haven't been here for awhile...but all the Ducati owners I know complain about the heat and the terrible riding position and settings for the street. Ducati is a track bike as far as I am concerned. Secondly, maintenance is high. I have ridden an S1000RR and done 0 to 100 mph with my friend twice and clearly beaten him soundly his BMW to my ZX-10R. Secondly, I have around $10,000+ invested in my Gen 4 abs and a Panigale can't pass me. One of my friends bought an R1M and he can't get the damn throttle to work smoothly...too abrupt and it's been on Attack's dyno twice. My bike makes 185 RWHP and it isn't the highest power, but it is the smoothest from bottom to top and that where you need it most. It is totally comfortable in all riding situations, and it's only the A group riders that are strong that I can't catch...and I'm 71 years old. Now that being said....let's check mods....I am up 2 in the back on the sprocket...change the gearing and it will be a totally different bike. Remove the muffler and replace it with an Akra shorty can with the restricter removed. If you can afford it, buy a fuel controller and get it mapped. All will make a difference. I have over 40,000 miles on my bike and I ride it very hard.
Maybe we have the same friend with the R1M( Rob Roy?) I agree with most of the above but really a lot of this comes down to the rider. 90% rider 10% bike or something like that. That said, I have a 2013 R1 that is still lurchy after all the fuelling work done, I am selling it soon.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Maybe we have the same friend with the R1M( Rob Roy?) I agree with most of the above but really a lot of this comes down to the rider. 90% rider 10% bike or something like that. That said, I have a 2013 R1 that is still lurchy after all the fuelling work done, I am selling it soon.
Mike Diaz is his name and he's here in CA. The abrupt throttle is a problem with the R1M I've read in the reviews.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just like it’s said about boat owners, the same goes for Ducati owners.

The 2 happiest days in a Ducati owner’s life are
1) the day they buy the Duc
2) the day they sell their Duc

Seriously, they are not for everyone. In fact, they’re for very few.

First off, everything you read about Ducati sport bikes in the press is based of their “press fleet” bikes and written about by lustful but well meaning wannabe Ducatisti who seemingly almost blatantly ignore the bike’s flaws. The press fleet bikes are al “pristine examples” of hand built engines, and components. While back in the ’90’s and early 2000’s that was a bit more, it’s only a few hp difference now. The really big difference is their use of the Ducati “Race Only” ECU or mapping and exhaust. All the other manufacturers - at least all the Japanese bikes, are run stock but Ducatis get to run with the race ecu programming and with an exhaust - more than likely tuned on a dyno before use in the press fleet. Why?

Because Ducati is incapable of making a sport bike that is able to both pass US emissions and smoothly accelerate. Feed too much throttle and the bike bucks and coughs it’s way to higher speed while normal bikes of much less displacement leave the Ducati for dead. Many of the US magazines have been “called” on letting Ducati get away with this and you’ll still see a letter to the editor once in a while but check out the pics in reviews of Ducatis. It’s been a bit since I’ve checked but last I checked, still showing bikes with aftermarket exhausts in the pics.

They sound great and their super bikes handle incredibly. And they are quite aesthetically pleasing... But none of that means a hill of beans while your bike is in the shop. And it will be in the shop, you can count on it. Mine was a pretty good example and still logged just under 3 months down in 5 years and that’s not counting stuff I fixed. Some of the failures are long known to Ducati - the voltage regulator right next to the front exhaust pipe or the defective 1x98 radiator that leaks on the top left. They’ve been failing for ages but Ducati made the business decision to ride it out of the warranty period rather than source a new part.

Owners aren’t always 100% forthcoming on the internet. If you read “My Ducati has been bulletproof” make sure to check their posting history to be sure. A lot of us don’t like to admit we made a poor life choice buying an expensive, limited production motorcycle that has a reputation that is not synonymous with reliability.

I’m not really sure what deficiencies the 10R has that you are seeking to address but I’ll agree it’s not a perfect liter bike.
Power wise - an ecu flash will reclaim the hp that Kawi whacked. handling - a set of wheels and tires will improve the handling. I admit I haven’t messed with the geometry, so mine does not change directions as fast as the Ducati, but it is stable...

If you’re thinking that will cost money to address on the 10R, you’re right, but, it will cost 1-2x less on the 10R as compared to any Ducati.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,071 Posts

First off, everything you read about Ducati sport bikes in the press is based of their “press fleet” bikes and written about by lustful but well meaning wannabe Ducatisti who seemingly almost blatantly ignore the bike’s flaws. The press fleet bikes are al “pristine examples” of hand built engines, and components. While back in the ’90’s and early 2000’s that was a bit more, it’s only a few hp difference now. The really big difference is their use of the Ducati “Race Only” ECU or mapping and exhaust. All the other manufacturers - at least all the Japanese bikes, are run stock but Ducatis get to run with the race ecu programming and with an exhaust - more than likely tuned on a dyno before use in the press fleet. Why?

Because Ducati is incapable of making a sport bike that is able to both pass US emissions and smoothly accelerate. Feed too much throttle and the bike bucks and coughs it’s way to higher speed while normal bikes of much less displacement leave the Ducati for dead. Many of the US magazines have been “called” on letting Ducati get away with this and you’ll still see a letter to the editor once in a while but check out the pics in reviews of Ducatis. It’s been a bit since I’ve checked but last I checked, still showing bikes with aftermarket exhausts in the pics.

They sound great and their super bikes handle incredibly. And they are quite aesthetically pleasing... But none of that means a hill of beans while your bike is in the shop. And it will be in the shop, you can count on it. Mine was a pretty good example and still logged just under 3 months down in 5 years and that’s not counting stuff I fixed. Some of the failures are long known to Ducati - the voltage regulator right next to the front exhaust pipe or the defective 1x98 radiator that leaks on the top left. They’ve been failing for ages but Ducati made the business decision to ride it out of the warranty period rather than source a new part.

Owners aren’t always 100% forthcoming on the internet. If you read “My Ducati has been bulletproof” make sure to check their posting history to be sure. A lot of us don’t like to admit we made a poor life choice buying an expensive, limited production motorcycle that has a reputation that is not synonymous with reliability.

I’m not really sure what deficiencies the 10R has that you are seeking to address but I’ll agree it’s not a perfect liter bike.
Power wise - an ecu flash will reclaim the hp that Kawi whacked. handling - a set of wheels and tires will improve the handling. I admit I haven’t messed with the geometry, so mine does not change directions as fast as the Ducati, but it is stable...

If you’re thinking that will cost money to address on the 10R, you’re right, but, it will cost 1-2x less on the 10R as compared to any Ducati.

Good luck!
Hahahahaha...if you buy a Ducati you need three...one to ride, one for parts and one a a loaner...that being said I have a few friends who love theirs...they have money and other bikes...think that explains it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The man speaketh the truth. Funny stuff there. I think every motorcycle owner ponders the idea of owning a Ducati at one point in their career. Thank god I came to my senses before I made that mistake. One mistake I did make was to buy a crossplane R1. They are kind of cool but they jerk like a 15 yr old boy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
my buddies had panigales and refuse to go out on all day rides. they use them to go for a quick 45 minute blast and then park it. theyre too hot and uncomfortable
ive ridden them before and cant wait to get off them. however you are shifting more often than the 10r so theres that?

Reactions: zapp

·
Registered
112 Posts
I rode my 1198s a tick over 4 hours once, and it was hotter than other liter bikes, but otherwise not tangibly less comfortable. You have to get off every 120 miles for fuel anyway. Though I did managed to eke out 140 before the warning lights once, but I was warned by fellow Ducatisti to not trust those warning lamps.

Ducati makes spectacularly well handling bikes, no doubt. but even with another bike to ride it’s like having a high maintenance girlfriend that you really want to break up with, but just can’t bring yourself to.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts

Good luck!
Duc really really really hit the market a few years back building a profile. The guy that ran that sales pitch knew what he was doing. Anyway, duc sold. And duc sales pitch is gone.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ask Rossi for his opinion.
Idon't happen to have his number. :) What's his opionion? I sent my application in to race Pike's Peak next year and the ZX10 isn't legal which is the main reason I picked up the SDR. It's definitely a load of fun though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts