Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So putting an 08 swingarm to earlier gen bikes is popular and most people are doing it as it looks better cosmetically right?

Anyone who has done this mod can you tell us what the ride is like after changing swingarms?

Also how about a proper comparison between the all the swingarms?

Weight:

1st gen = ?
2nd gen = ?
3rd gen = ?

Length:

1st gen = ?
2nd gen = ?
3rd gen = ?

Let us know where your measuring from so we have a better idea of the length measurement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Courtesy of Ripped10r :cool:

Weight:

1st gen = 11.5 with nothing on it (bare)
2nd gen = ?
3rd gen = 10.5 with nothing on it (bare)

Length:

1st gen = 25 inchs (from top to bottom,with swingarm standing up)
2nd gen = ?
3rd gen = 25 inchs (from top to bottom,with swingarm standing up)

·
Registered
242 Posts
subscribed as well.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Wish I could help more, but since I sold my first gen arm, installed my thrid gen arm, and am not removing my 06 arm just to take measurements. Heres what I know for sure.

The overall length on the first and thrid gen arms is close to the same, I used the same sproket and chain so wheelbase stayed the same, but the swing arm pivot height and linkages are different between the bikes.

The weight of the 04 arm felt heavier than the 08-10 arm, not scientificly measured by me, but the newer arm felt lighter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
9R is there any reason you haven't done the same mod to the 06? Is its swingarm at least better than the 04? I ask because I have an 06 and have followed these mods closely, have been considering the conversion for some time but I am not sure how great the benefits would be.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
9R is there any reason you haven't done the same mod to the 06? Is its swingarm at least better than the 04? I ask because I have an 06 and have followed these mods closely, have been considering the conversion for some time but I am not sure how great the benefits would be.
Yes, a huge reason, a 2300$ Nasert-Beet exhaust that wopuld be unusable if I changed the arm on my 06, so yeah, the 06-07 arm is staying on it.
It may be a "wheelbarrow" but it's the most kick ass, high tech, one around:lol:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Apparently my new arm is coming in early next week (08) so I will post up once I get it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Subscribed. Looking forward to more info and possibly the mod will come this way in the future

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Damn, I had an old 06 swingarm. I left it at my buddy's shop. Maybe he still has it, then I could measure and weight it. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I totally forgot about the undertail exhaust. I now no longer want to upgrade swingarm haha. My Arata is staying put!

·
Pimp/Player
11,412 Posts
Ok I measured and weighed the Gen1 and Gen3 so just need the weight and measure for the Gen2

Weight:

1st gen = 11.5 with nothing on it (bare)
2nd gen = ?
3rd gen = 10.5 with nothing on it (bare)

Length:

1st gen = 25 inchs (from top to bottom,with swingarm standing up)
2nd gen = ?
3rd gen = 25 inchs (from top to bottom,with swingarm standing up)

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent work Ripped10r!! :thumbsup: Rep sent!

I'll update the original post with the figures.

Now who has a 2nd gen swingarm they can measure and weigh?

Im hoping more people can measure their swingarms so eventually we'll do an average to get a more accurate figures :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
844 Posts
i know when gen.2 came out they said that they took 10mm off the wheel base.it also should take a 108 chain instead of a 110 like gen.1.hope this helps.according to the specs , the wheelbase is 54.7 inches.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Well if your looking for feedback on the riding difference in the 1st to 3rd gen swingarm i am more than happy to chime in with my experience from this seasons riding with it.

My bike (2004 zx10r-Ohlins shock) was very dialed in after 6 trackdays, a race school and street time...Now swapping over to the newer swingarm with 636 linkages required me to shorten the shock length a large amount to get ride height even remotely back to stock, this in term changed the feel from the ass end, in a not so great way.
but other than that the swingarm/rear of the bike feels a bit stiffer and the bike does not take bumps as well/composed as before, but has a bit more drive out fo the corners, as i have finally found a decent set-up after all year.

SO the looks are nice, and there might be a marginal difference in performance..But i have yet to get it better than my orginal set-up.
barring the cost fo the swingarm, welding job, hugger, rizoma chain guard i would say i should of stuck with the stocker.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I tried to do a 06 swap a long time ago, Kawi says their arm was lighter this year in one of their ad's now I was weighing it on a bathroom scale with me holding the arm and re-weighing myself and all but the 06 arm wound up being 2 lbs heavier and its also shorter than the 04, I Think it was only an inch shorter though. but I Dont have an exact measurements for ya.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts