Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone else had this problem , a while ago i went to look at the exhaust cables from the servo and followed them down to the exhaust and theres a plate on the swingarm covering the valve so i tried to open the bolts but couldnt and i got snap on tools so i cant blame them the inside of the allenhead just rounded , i was gona use heat but decided against it because of the coating on swingarm , im stu mped wots goin on coz im an engineer and am used to shite like dis but i dont wanna butcher my bike, so if ani1 has ani useful info id b well pleased

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have along with many others im sure. No need to feel like a tardo...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I never had any problems taking mine off, the bolts themselves are still the same ones, and they are slightly rounded but I've taken that plate off 2 or 3 times. If it makes any difference, I was using some pretty cheap pieces as well, I guess I'm just use to working on rusty old trucks/cars, kind of get a knak for not wanting to strip shit.

It was suggested in the removal of the secondaries threads to heat up the tip of the screwdriver to aid in getting the bolts out because of the red loctite, I did that at the time and I'm sure it helped. So you could heat up the allen head and then put it onto the bolt, and hold it there for 30 seconds or so for the heat to transfer then try.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have some good experience with these bolts. First thing you can do is drill them and use an easy out. That worked for one the two bolts I had left to remove. The last remaining bolt I had to sequentially drill out to the top of the threads. Then I used a dental tool to pick the metal out of the first couple of threads and followed it with an 8mm 1.25 tap. All bolts were then replaced with 8mm hex head bolts (no more allens).

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
They are loctited from the factory, I was able to get them by using a apex bit and a long extension and pounded on the end of the extension as I tried to loosen at the same time, I only slighty boogered up one bolt but it still came out. Once they are rounded though you are pretty much fucked without easy outing them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for all your input il try them d weekend if they wont open , i guess ill have to drill and tap but of a bugger tho why the hell do they decide to put permanent thread locker there well thats japs 4 you, its a small price to pay for sutch a missile lol

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Use 242 Loctite when you reinstall. I have no problems destroying hardware to get it out, gives me an excuse to put new shiny hardware in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The loctite that came out with the remaining threads on mine was blue. This same thing happened down at the shop with an SE 07. I think kawi used way to much loctite, torqued the bolts and with the exhaust heat the shit set up like concrete.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am finding a lot of bolts like that on the bike, I think the quality of some of the bolts are just subpar. when I have them stip I get them out with vice grips (very carefully) and replace with some stronger grade 8 stuff or something and it never happens again.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hmm, yes mine were all coated up with red loctite, but came right out without issue. I used blue when I reinstalled. They have been in a out a few times and the original bolts are still good. I guess you just need to learn to keep tools lined up straight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts