Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just measured my swing arm angle and with 9-mm of ride hight added I'm at 12.3 degrees , this to me seems kinda weird!( but I had to keep jacking the rear to get it to hold a line after apex) the ideal swing arm angle starting point for proper geometry set up is 12.5 degrees most manufactures set there angles flat to insure tire grip over anti-squat but this is HUGE # difference the 08 must has a very flat swing arm stock! my 04 was 3-mm away from perfect at 12.9 degrees! MMMMM what are you guys running for ride hight on your 08-10 zx10's?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Like you I'm running + 9mm, it made the world of difference in how the bike tracked the apex and mid corner. I blamed the steering dampener but I have to believe that the problem was in fact the rear swing arm angle.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW only 1 other guy sets his bike up! :crackup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've gotta set my 04 up for this weekend.

After setting sag, how are you changing rear ride height without messing that up?

I've got a Wilbers shock on another bike that is ride height adjustable which is nice. Too bad the rebound was all wrong and my tires looked like crap after only 3 sessions with wear on the trailing edges of the sipes near the edge.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Chrome and stickers are good for power. Why else would the big boys plaster their bikes with stickers? :rolleyes:

I don't have a racebike-or even a track only bike. However, you have prompted me to investigate a little further in my setup.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,379 Posts
I just started playing around with the rear ride height on my '09. I currently have it about 4mm higher than stock and was told by another race guy that it needs to be about 8mm at least on the rear. I'm gonna keep jacking it up and see what happens cause right now it's better, but not nearly what I think it should be.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,379 Posts
Also, I found a cheap way to make the ride height adjustable on the ZX-10's. I paid $1.60 for a stainless jam nut and washer so that I could get inifinite adjustability out of it over using washers or the OEM shim pack. The nut and washer together are the same thickness as the stock aluminum spacer.

The nut is an M16x1.50 that goes on the threaded shock collar for those interested. Got it at Ace Hardware.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think your on the right track, but I think Home Depot has the real answer. The support of the shock base isn't covered. The Home Depot route offers you 3 washers @ 3MM that full support the shoock base.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is good info! Thanks bro!

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
so I just measured my swing arm angle and with 9-mm of ride hight added I'm at 12.3 degrees , this to me seems kinda weird!( but I had to keep jacking the rear to get it to hold a line after apex) the ideal swing arm angle starting point for proper geometry set up is 12.5 degrees most manufactures set there angles flat to insure tire grip over anti-squat but this is HUGE # difference the 08 must has a very flat swing arm stock! my 04 was 3-mm away from perfect at 12.9 degrees! MMMMM what are you guys running for ride hight on your 08-10 zx10's?
Ive never checked swingarm angle. Im off to the garage...

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I've only checked it on my race bike (not ZX10R). I'm off to the shop, too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The funny thing about the swing arm adjustment is that it's the reason so many of us complained about the steering feeling like it wanted to washout or the bike wouldn't track properly. (Information I got from a local suspension guru are in Florida) According to him the rack \ geometry of the stock setup is faulty, and according to him I addressed the problem but modding the steering dampener but I should have setup the bike first and the used the steering to fine tweak if needed. Modding the dampener acts like a graze pad on a paper cut. Not many words I'm only sharing.... The true purpose of the dampener is to help prevent tank slaps not that I've ever had one on the 10 but I choose to modding the dampener because it made to front feel better planted in the corners but the bike tracked like a fat pig.

So I get all of this information after: I
1) Modding the Stock Ohlins Dampener
2) swapping the 08 rear shock for and 04 (Thanks Garth..I would buy it again if I had to)
3) Increasing the rear position by + 9MM(Home Depot washers) with the stock spacer which 10MM
4) FGK 142 25MM cartridge kit

I'm just passing this along FYI :hello:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive never checked swingarm angle. Im off to the garage...
Tell me what you have but my guess stock is ............ around 11.4 degrees

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whole reason for raising the rear of a bike is to adjust your swing arm angle, but your sprockets will have squat and a anti squat characteristics as well + you need to take in account the placement of your rear axel in the sliders, so there are a few things that go into proper geometry set up! But I have always heard and found that 12.5 degrees is a good place to start when it comes to rear geometry…….I’m just surprised the 08-2010 ZX is SO far off from that from the factory! (The gen 1 was 3mm off off 12.9 witch on the 04/05 was perfect!) now manufactures do thing for the masses so they want a bike to be safe and very compliant and a flat swing arm will give you maximum traction at the sacrifice of handling! So I can understand the "why"
but it’s 9mm off and I may go up 5 more when I test again so this thing is just ridiculously flat!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you measuring with the swingarm unweighted?
yes... this aint my 1st rodeo! HAHAHA

but yeah I get the rear just off the ground :eek:ccasion1

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and if anyone had taken stock 08-10 shock Eye to eye measurements please post that up as well..........I'm going off 2nd hand info that the stock E-TO-E is 333mm ....................yeah I was a dumb ass and sold my stock shock this winter and forgot to measure the ete............mmmmm maybe this is my 1st rodeo HAHHAHA

·
Registered
541 Posts
yes... this aint my 1st rodeo! HAHAHA

but yeah I get the rear just off the ground :eek:ccasion1
LOL Of course I knew you were measuring right. Just giving others something to think about. Also, there is a Dave Moss demo floating around were he measures the SA angle with the bike on the side stand (ask him and he'll tell you to measure with the back wheel just touching the ground)

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
LOL Of course I knew you were measuring right. Just giving others something to think about. Also, there is a Dave Moss demo floating around were he measures the SA angle with the bike on the side stand (ask him and he'll tell you to measure with the back wheel just touching the ground)
Well IMO the tire needs to be just off the “ground fully un-weighted!” the Side stands IMO wont work but I’m sure there was a good reason Moss was saying do it on the side stand but IDK why? If you look at a kickstand say on my S1000rr it's long as hell and the bike is going to have a LOT of weight on the suspension so you will never get a true swing arm angle measurement!

How I do it:

Make sure your garage floor is perfectly level

lift the bike ( by the pegs or motor) so the rear tire is just barely touching the ground

Insert a dowel into the axel pivot and the tire axel

Get a straight edge a string and carpenters square

And use some 8th grade math skills and bingo you have your angle

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
677 Posts

I'm at 6mm but thinking about going to 9 or 10

1 - 20 of 62 Posts