Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine i bought off ebay wasnt placed properly on the pallet, so when i got home i noticed that the little lip on the lower oil pan (that is near the drain bolt) was broken off, it didnt look like the damage was too bad, however the other day i just threw in about a quart of oil in the engine and placed a drain pan under the engine just to be sure, i did end up seeing one drop in the pan (but it is really hard for me to see where this is coming from)
so to be on the safer side i was going to swap the oil pans with another zx10r motor that i have.
here is my question: Do i need to replace the gasket with a new one when i do that, or can i keep the same one?
would it be adviceable to use a miniscule amount of 1194 gasket maker along with the gasket that is already there just to be on the safer side, or is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I reused my old gasket and used a tiny bit of permatex around and hasnt leaked at all.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Old thread, same question: Oil pan gasket intact and stuck to the engine.

I have a replacement, but removing the old one looks like a pain.

Keithk: What Permatex product aere you reffering to? RTV?

Anybody else have an opinion?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I did one with an old gasket and rtv and another just reusing an old gasket. Never leaked...

if you have a new gasket just replace it. I hate doing things twice, kind of sucks if it starts to leak. Your call.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks, I know, but I always have trouble removing old gaskets cleanly without damaging sealing surfaces.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Take a razor blade, hold it at a perfect 90* angle and gently scrape it off. A bit time consuming but I haven't really found a better way... I know there's a few guys on here who build motors. Maybe they have a better technique.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, that's how I end up chewing up shavings off the engine surfaces. Also. the engine is still in place, so I'd be doing that up side down.

Not sure if I can spray gasket remover, or rub with acetone...?

·
Registered
Gen 1 Spark Black and HP4 Competition.
269 Posts
Talk about a thread revival.. I'm just about to fit a new oil pan, the ZX shop manual and Haynes makes no reference to any sort of sealer Like Hylomar or RTV I presume it's a dry fit. The gasket is new as is the pan. So dry fit is it ? Dry fit it was .. no mention of sealant so went with the obvious.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Talk about a thread revival.. I'm just about to fit a new oil pan, the ZX shop manual and Haynes makes no reference to any sort of sealer Like Hylomar or RTV I presume it's a dry fit. The gasket is new as is the pan. So dry fit is it ? Dry fit it was .. no mention of sealant so went with the obvious.

Yes mate dry fit only, but OE gaskets really are good, what you have there is basically a paper gasket because I expect you bought the cheapest on e/bay well before long it will start to seap

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not so mate, Athena Gaskets are top drawer, I've used them for years, I doubt it will leak, if I thought otherwise I wouldn't have bought one, that gasket was only a few quid difference over OE. As usual opinions vary on the web, but I've never had any issues. And for the record mate I don't do cheap, next time pick your words a bit more carefully.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Not so mate, Athena Gaskets are top drawer, I've used them for years, I doubt it will leak, if I thought otherwise I wouldn't have bought one, that gasket was only a few quid difference over OE. As usual opinions vary on the web, but I've never had any issues. And for the record mate I don't do cheap, next time pick your words a bit more carefully.

;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Job done.. despite Halfords giving me the wrong filter.. well the correct box with the wrong filter in it, should have known better as the box had been Sellotaped..dickheads...so used a Kawa one I had in reserve

Anyhow, new shiny sump, oil cooler and rad..there was fuck all wrong with the old ones just grubby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts