Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 zx10 and I purchased a 06 zx10 motor cause my case has damage and I was wondering if there was anything I should know before doing this swap and if it will work it seems that the harness is the same ,the engine's are not that much different one shop told me it will bolt right in but I may need to use a 06 computer.Anybody have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.Thanks in advance!

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I thought the lean angle of the 2 motors are different thus the motor mounts are different, but I may be wrong.

Tread

·
Registered
550 Posts
Tread,
You are correct the angles are different. To swap the motors will involve some fabrication to make it work along with wiring.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I thought the lean angle of the 2 motors are different thus the motor mounts are different, but I may be wrong.

Tread
Yeah, I would think this is a no go without some special work done, also the shop you talked too has no Idea about 10Rs then. If you change out the computer you will loose your F1 light as well and maybe a few more functions. :badteeth:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Does anyone know the best way to determine the exact differences in the mounts? The reason I'm asking is because some day I will want to put a newer engine in my race car (currently has an '05). Another important factor would be the location of the front sprocket (its distance off center). It would be great if there was a source with good, useful information about how the engines have changed externally since 2004.

ogryders, maybe you and I should talk swap. :).

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I thought the motor/gearbox was the same and they just rotated it in the frame ??

That would make the pickups the same but the frame would be different.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not sure what else is different but the 06-07s have the rotor on the end of the crank, not a generator. So the cases, crankshaft, charging system, side covers and motor mounts are all different from the 04-05s. I also believe they changed the gear change mechanism.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It was my understanding that the cylinders were placed at a different angle. I don't know if that means the crankcase is different or if the motor was just rotated forward. But either way, it sounds like the exhaust would have to be changed as well.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
To make this work you will need alot of Fabrication. For starters the mounts are indeed different and the angle to which the motors sit are different. Secondly the electrical is completely different. You will need a ECM and complete wiring harness umong other things. Third the weight distibution is going to be way off. Fourth what abouat the airbox? I know the 04-05 are not the same as the 06-07. With a different airbox what about the tank? Will your 04 tank work? Alot of work and money buddy. Better of selling the 06 motor and buying an 04-05 motor. Just a thought though. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts