Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor on my 04 recently grenaded itself when the generator came apart (see http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79314), picked up an 05 motor from a friend that was running when he took it out his bike, but it won't start up on my bike now.

From the looks of it, it seems like it's most likely the coil harness, but that was working fine on my 04 and it was swapped over to the 05. The coils were changed from the old motor and put in the 05, and it has new spark plugs, but 1, 2, and 4 aren't getting any spark. If you disconnect it there's no spark at all, then when you connect it, only one of them gets a spark. The only other issue we came across was the battery was dead (read 11.9 volts) and it was charged overnight and the charge didn't increase.. but then it magically shot up to where it's supposed to be.

Is there anything else it could be before I order a new coil harness?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no FI light, fuel pump primes, normally too

·
Registered
478 Posts
Assuming you already checked to make sure all of the connections are good... Reseat any of them? Will it pull any codes when you ground the diag lead?

Before getting s new harness, I would check that the pins on the ECU have continuity to the leads on the coils. The service manual should give you the wiring codes to map which pin goes where.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm.. the ECU was never touched, so i don't know why that would be giving me problems

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
hmm.. the ECU was never touched, so i don't know why that would be giving me problems
That's what i was going to ask....if you'd swapped out the entire harness AND ecu from the 05' motor? i JUST saw a link on here this weekend about the FI codes for our gen.......... lemme see if i can find it or if i take too long then i'm sure using the ol' "search" will help you out. hope ya get it figured out buddy..i fuggin HATE electrical issues!!!! :angryfire

·
Registered
406 Posts
if you have a power commander make sure it has been wired in correctly, belive it or not it can be pluged in wrong,

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm not saying the ECU, I'm talking about the wiring. Checking to see if the pins on the ECU plug (the chassis wiring loom, not the ECU itself) have continuity to the plugs on the coils.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll go ahead and get all of the above done and get back to you guys, thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
if everything else check out, your problem is cam timing.... use the exhaust cam from your 04 in the 05 motor.....
it will start then.....

JTR Inc

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still haven't figured it out. All the cables are plugged in nice and tight, seems like it might be a grounding issue. I'll probably be taking it to a friends shop that's been known to fix everything thrown at him and see how it goes. i didn't try to replace the exhaust cam bc we don't wanna drop the motor back out unless we find that it's absolutely required, reason is that one of the bolts would barely line up, resulting in one of the mounts getting a little stripped, too scared to have to put that bolt back in lol, but i'll keep you folks updated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just ran across this thread. Don't have any new suggestions, but I probably have spares you can try & buy, such as coil harness. Send me a PM if you think that might help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Welp, after months of the bike just sitting around, I decided to take it to a local shop last weekend (Metric Cycles). He said he wouldn't be able to look at it till this week, and I just got a call today letting me know it's ready. It was probably the best news I've ever heard all year lol, I haven't ridden the thing since September.

I didn't ask him on the details of what was causing just 1 cyl to fire, but soon as I pick it up I'll have an explanation for you folks and keep you updated on what he says. Gonna go ahead and throw the OEM fairings on there so I can enjoy it for a while before I have to leave for 5 weeks to go out of country starting the beginning of July :( I'll go ahead and let the guy that swapped the motor in for me baby sit it while I'm gone lol. Can't wait to start riding again!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Metric! Well at least you went to the right place. Andy runs the most reputable bike shop in Houston, that was the only place I took my bikes to when I lived there. Especially for suspension work! He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Andy ftw! There were actually only a couple things wrong with it. Two of the coils were bad so he went ahead and swapped them out, and the #2 fuel injector was blocked so he fixed that too. Crazy how the coils were bad bc we switched out the entire coil harness from my old motor and that didn't solve anything. Ah well, happy to hear it alive again! :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts