Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, I was riding a really fast twisty road that was very rough. Approx 120mph, not very tight, but sweeping corners.My bike rides great on smooth roads.But couldn't hold it's line in the bumpy stuff.What should I try first ,settings wise. I'm about 215 suited up.I can't really afford upgrading at this time.I got the sag set 30 mm front and back. :helmet:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
tweak your rebound and compression for front and back

i had problems on bumpy turns also till i "harden" all the suspension settings for front and back. Not to hard however, because then it becomes unbearably harsh. I maxed out all the settings for compression and rebound to hardest then slowly "clicked" them softer one or two clicks at a time. I would select only one setting (for example front rebound = one setting) and click it softer only once or twice, then i went out a rode it to see how i felt. I did this 5-6 times and got my setting good for me.

on a side note, the back shocks have no "clicks" so i use quarter turn = one click.

·
Registered
222 Posts
adjusting your steering damper to a harder setting will help with front end stability midcorner. it's kind of a band-aid for a bad fork setup, but everything on the street is a broad compromise anyways due to the wide variety of surface conditions. steering damper adjustments will give you an extra tweak once you get the compression/rebound set to your liking.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
adjusting your steering damper to a harder setting will help with front end stability midcorner. it's kind of a band-aid for a bad fork setup, but everything on the street is a broad compromise anyways due to the wide variety of surface conditions. steering damper adjustments will give you an extra tweak once you get the compression/rebound set to your liking.
good tip, i forgot about the damper

:+1:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hey guy's, I was riding a really fast twisty road that was very rough. Approx 120mph, not very tight, but sweeping corners.My bike rides great on smooth roads.But couldn't hold it's line in the bumpy stuff.What should I try first ,settings wise. I'm about 215 suited up.I can't really afford upgrading at this time.I got the sag set 30 mm front and back. :helmet:

Your very limited, so if you can damper and suspension settings to what your satisfied with, that's OK, But....

The shim stacks in your suspension are not for rough.

If your not using Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's your not using the tire that handles rough the best either.

Bottom line, try the tweeks, do they work or not? If not, I'll suggest how to spend some money that at this time you don't want to spend.:helmet:

·
Registered
332 Posts
try front end sag @ 37mm / Rear @ 32mm IMO you are close on the rear again try 32mm, but not enough sag on the forks your front end must feel like a sketchy pogo stick effect....

IMHO nothing wrong with the stock Bridgestone BTO16's = Great tires

check that your tire pressure is correct

X2 turn the damper in all the way to stiffest setting

move your rear wheel back as far as possible , make sure the forks are sitting even with the clamps

once you have the forks in the right spot in the clamps & the rear wheel back as far as possible - then adjust rider sag front & rear

THEN go out and try different clicker settings bring pen & paper write things down better or worse only do 1 adjustment at a time

setting up the suspension is also very personal so take your time

with enough time & effort eventually you will be pleased with the results....

good luck & have fun with it :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts