Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't mind a fork upgrade for my 1st gen race bike. However, it doesn't look like 30 mil cartridge kits and aftermarket shocks are too popular anymore. I would prefer to stick with Ohlins as my suspension tuner is an Ohlins guy. Are there shocks from other years/models that'll work with some modification, yet still keep the factory geometry?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I wouldn't mind a fork upgrade for my 1st gen race bike. However, it doesn't look like 30 mil cartridge kits and aftermarket shocks are too popular anymore. I would prefer to stick with Ohlins as my suspension tuner is an Ohlins guy. Are there shocks from other years/models that'll work with some modification, yet still keep the factory geometry?

Ohlins Shocks Ohlins TTX Shock Best Service and Low Prices

ZX-10R 04-05 (pic) KA345 46PRXLS $1457. $895
INVENTORY
BLOW OUT

Good shock...good price.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn you for showing me that! I was looking at going through my forks first. The only reason being is that the seals are starting to weep a bit. Not a full blown leak, but they get that condensation look after a sprint race. But $900 is a good price for that shock! But I need to fix the forks first... LOL

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
:mrgreen: I highly recommend it...made my bike feel much nicer.

mwuuhahahahaaahaaaa :stir: lol

Would still like the R/T forks but haven't seen them around in quite a long time

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If you're tuner is really an "Ohlins Guy" he should be able to cross reference and build you a set of 30mm carts. Case in point I modified a set of 08 ZX-10r 30mm carts to fit my 04.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're tuner is really an "Ohlins Guy" he should be able to cross reference and build you a set of 30mm carts. Case in point I modified a set of 08 ZX-10r 30mm carts to fit my 04.
He can, and has mentioned it. I may end up going that route. Thermosman can do anything. :wink:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Bumping this. So apparently the 3rd gen ZX-10 shock is a direct fit for the first gen. But from what I can tell, it looks like the 09-12 ZX6 shock will fit the 3rd gen...so, theoretically, it'd fit the 1st gen. Can anyone confirm?

Just because it physically fits the bike with the correct type of clevis etc that does not automatically mean it has the correct stroke, valve spec, spring requirements or even length.

Custom retro-fitting the 30mm NIX kits into older models is relatively easy. Other than sometimes you need to find or machine custom mounting adapters of various lengths depending on the models specific requirements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts