Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed help setting up the suspension on this bike and posted such on SoCalSportbikes.com

Got an answer from Jason at Southland Cycles in Garden Grove, CA

Took my bike over there this morning and he played with all the settings. All I can tell you is this thing tracks well and doesn't dive when I hit the brakes. He dialed it all in for me. Sliding through the turns, when I go on and off the throttle, the balance doesn't change!!!

I weigh 165 lbs - here's how he set this bike up for me.

Dial out all the rebound and compression in the rear shock. That's right FULL SOFT.

Unscrew the ring collars on the rear shock about 2 turns to leave 15 MM of thread from the top to the rings.

Change the front preload to 1 1/2 turns in from soft
Front compressions 2 clicks in from soft.

Makes a BIG difference, dudes...

Took him an hour and he charged me $20 cash - I gave him $30.00
Southland Cycles
8141 Garden Grove Blvd.
Garden Grove, CA

714-893-5091 Ask for Jason.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Congrats, but I'm betting the changes you are feeling are more mental. You believe the bike is better and have a false sense of confidence. I know that is how I was or a while until I understood what each component's adjuster was responsible. You can try my settings also if you would like.
You need the bike to dive in corners, but not bottom. If there is no dive the front will push and tuck if trail braking.
http://www.motorcycle-nerd.com
Click on the zx10 and you will see my settings. I weigh 155 w/o gear, and like my bike to dive a bit but on the firm side for more feedback and traction feel. My settings aren't 100% on, but I'm going to experiment with backing off 1-2 clicks on the front compression and a .5 turn less on the rear compression. My bike is nice, but I want a tad more dive in the front and a little more squat in the rear without sacrificing feel. I did notice when I lessened my compression that I needed to add more rebound...I guess both pieces are on the same circuit.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
What I ended up with isn't much different from what you describe.

I weigh more than you, and I found that the stock rear preload setting was OK and I needed a bit more rebound in the rear than full-soft.

I tried playing with front preload ... no dice; it has to be backed out almost all the way in order to work the way I want it to.

Some of the magazines have been giving suggested settings that were, in some cases, stiffer than stock. Either they are setting it up for glass-smooth pavement which is nothing like the roads around here ... or I don't know what they are smoking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts